• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Training Routine

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

This has honestly been one of the best programs I have ever been on. You get almost (I say almost because I had to add more overhead press work into it) all the strength you need, plus a plyometric day, and conditioning days. It's nothing like what a lot of people are used to as most do bodybuilder workouts, but this is what DeFranco uses to train numerous pro and collegiate level athletes.

I think what a lot of people don't realise is that no matter what you do it is gonna be better than nothing. The biggest part of any routine is the amount of work you put in. There's probably a million ways to reach the same goal.

i used to do that, but i wasnt happy with my results. that's also an extra 32 sets i have to work into 2 other workouts.. the day off i work into my week seems to do the trick.. if i dont feel healthy/strong, i take the day off. then every 10-15 weeks of strenuous lifting, i try and take a week completely off, and for reasons unbeknownst to me, come back stronger.. this happens with several others i know, too. dont know why, but i would suggest it..
[/b]

Maybe you don't give yourself time to rest in the 'strenuous lifting' period. Rest days are important otherwise you will not be gaining as much as is possible in the used period of time.

i dont think so.. each muscle has a minimum of 48 hours until it is even worked as a secondary muscle, with the exception of my biceps, which overall are both a small muscle group (compared to a core muscle), and very fast healing, and 1 day a week between upper body days should be enough, and even if it isn't, im not hesitant to take a second day off. the only reason for the second, though, is if i feel my shoulders are strained (the joints, not muscles).. this, a good diet, proper amount of sleep, and feeling healthy and strong as a whole, make it hard for me to believe im over-working my body..

I keep my in-season training low in volume. I did weightlifting before I started rugby, so that's basicly what I still do, except I add in a bit more push/pull (e.g. DB benchpress and rows) and shoulder "prehab" work (like facepulls etc.). The olympic lifts are my main thing and to other stuff is more on-the-fly. I usually hit the weight twice per week.

Day 1&2
Snatch 6x1@85% 1RM
Clean and jerk 6x1@85% 1RM
Front squat 4x3@90% 3RM

Day 3
Snatch 1RM test
Clean and jerk 1RM test
Front squat 3RM test

Recalculate, repeat.

On a program for three days a week which i do t the gym or do half of it at home for an extra two days if i dotn go to the gym and of course play a bit of rugby during the week and just toss the ball about everyday.

Latest posts