Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
THis is what I know:

each NZ team will play each aus team once, ie 5 rounds.

Some reports say the final is between the top two teams, other reports say the final is between the top two teams on "the combined competition ladder".

I don't really know what this means. It could either be that only points during the 5 rounds count, or that points from super rugby aotearoa and super rugby au count too. Either way I don't like it.

if it's the former then NZ teams have a clear advantage, as it is clear that the three worst teams by some way are from Australia. So NZ teams would have a far easier competition. Or, if it's the latter, the opposite is true, because the Australian contenders (reds and brumbies) would have points from playing the crappy three teams twice.

Not only will it be an unfair competition either way, but what's the point in seeing two NZ teams compete the final or two aus teams? We would already have seen finals between two teams from the same country in super rugby aotearoa and super rugby au. It will be weird to see two finals between teams from the same country. Which final will matter the most?

I think all fans would rather see the final played between the best NZ team and the best aus team.

THis is what I know:

Some reports say the final is between the top two teams, other reports say the final is between the top two teams on "the combined competition ladder".

I don't really know what this means. It could either be that only points during the 5 rounds count, or that points from super rugby aotearoa and super rugby au count too. Either way I don't like it.

if it's the former then NZ teams have a clear advantage, as it is clear that the three worst teams by some way are from Australia. So NZ teams would have a far easier competition. Or, if it's the latter, the opposite is true, because the Australian contenders (reds and brumbies) would have points from playing the crappy three teams twice.

Not only will it be an unfair competition either way, but what's the point in seeing two NZ teams compete the final or two aus teams? We would already have seen finals between two teams from the same country in super rugby aotearoa and super rugby au. It will be weird to see two finals between teams from the same country. Which final will matter the most?

I think all fans would rather see the final played between the best NZ team and the best Aus team.

John Cena Point GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:
Should be 2 tables with the combined 13 match results.
Top 2 from each group play offs to meet in final.

For 2022, the 'regular season' will extend to 16 matches, 2 groups of 6, home and away in group, plus 1 round v other group.
Play offs week 1) 2nd Au v 3rd Ao and 2nd Ao v 3rd Au
Week 2) 1st Au v winner match 2 and 1st Ao v winner match 1
Week 3) bye week
Week 4) super final at pre determined venue (to enable tickets to be advance sold)
20 weeks in total.

THis is what I know:

I think all fans would rather see the final played between the best NZ team and the best aus team.
i hope this, otherwise there is at least the chance we'll just see two NZ team play again. Not guaranteed or anything as the reds looking good but still

Both Reds and Brumbies will be very competitive. Force and Rebels might jag a win. Waratahs? Who knows

i think the vbe would be better if the table accumulated, would feel like one big comp rather than 3 separate ones

i hope this, otherwise there is at least the chance we'll just see two NZ team play again. Not guaranteed or anything as the reds looking good but still
And that was part of the confusing thing, what they could mean by combined competition ladder. They could mean combining it with the aotearoa and au comp tables, or they could just mean combining all the teams into one table but just looking at trans Tasman results. It would seem odd to call the latter a combined competition ladder, but it looks like it is actually the latter.

there is standings table that shows everyone in zero points.

And I read an article about the crusaders saying they needed to get up for this first game because they might need to win five games and with bonus points to make the final.

This could be really bad for aus rugby. They started getting fans back, they will all now depart. Should have just ditched this comp and played a final between the reds and crusaders. We could then have reorganized the year so our super rugby players play in the provincial comp for at least 5 or so games

This could be really bad for aus rugby. They started getting fans back, they will all now depart. Should have just ditched this comp and played a final between the reds and crusaders. We could then have reorganized the year so our super rugby players play in the provincial comp for at least 5 or so games
How about you wait until we get through the first round before you make sweeping statements?

You can't hide forever though, at some point you have to play internationally.

It's great that the fans are returning but the real positive here is that the players are going to be riding a high of confidence. That has been really lacking in recent memory.

I'm old enough to remember the real fear over the Tasman. I'd trade losing losing games to Oz super rugby and internationally to reignite the passion.

Think of it this way, if you could wish on a magic genie that the All Blacks never lost the Bledisloe and that you favorite super team won every ***le forever would you? Is that interesting?

I never want my teams to lose on the day but I I've had enough beers to to say I want an Oz team to win super and I want Oz to win the Bledisloe back. It just makes it all the sweeter when we take it back. Otherwise what's the point?

It's great that the fans are returning but the real positive here is that the players are going to be riding a high of confidence. That has been really lacking in recent memory.

I'm old enough to remember the real fear over the Tasman. I'd trade losing losing games to Oz super rugby and internationally to reignite the passion.

Think of it this way, if you could wish on a magic genie that the All Blacks never lost the Bledisloe and that you favorite super team won every ***le forever would you? Is that interesting?

I never want my teams to lose on the day but I I've had enough beers to to say I want an Oz team to win super and I want Oz to win the Bledisloe back. It just makes it all the sweeter when we take it back. Otherwise what's the point?

I don't have a favorite Super Rugby team, not until next year when Fiji joins the mix. But I'd like to see Oz win the Cup too. I doubt it will happen, but it would be a nice change. :)

Last edited:
I might have missed it, do we know what the deal is with existing points carrying over or anything?

You might have to play internationally as a test side, but you can completely hide forever domestically.

The NRL is 90% domestic (granted Warriors) and it is by far the most succesful 'rugby' competition there is, including European rugby. More fans and more money by far, and it doesn't rely on the benevolence of random billionaires.

So the Australian champions get smashed by the 4th best team in New Zealand.

Disappointed about that really.

I'm coming from the same point of view, I don't want rugby to go under in australia, because I value that rivalry of old.

I think if they lose 80 plus percent of their super rugby games they will lose their fan base, therefore lose money. In australia they have a lot of other sports to compete with for their fan base.

I don't think trans Tasman super rugby necessarily makes the wallabies better either, at least some of their players have confidence if they are winning (if they are losing in trans Tasman)

So the Australian champions get smashed by the 4th best team in New Zealand.

Disappointed about that really.
I thought the reds showed some promise considering. Would have been hard to get up from a final, they picked up three injuries in the final, they rested a player, they put three or four regular starters in the bench, and they had recently previously also lost paisami who was an important player for them.

Latest posts