TBeastT

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Exeter

Wasps sign Luke Mehson from Exeter Chiefs/post trial. Anyone know much about him?

Played a lot of rugby in BUCS for Exeter Uni last season and believe he got into the team of the year. Very fast and quite a big bloke (would guess 6’2/6’3), but beyond that don’t really know much about him.

Edit: was also selected for the England Uni side before their game was cancelled due to Covid.

will311293

Bench Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

UK

Club or Nation

London Wasps

Played a lot of rugby in BUCS for Exeter Uni last season and believe he got into the team of the year. Very fast and quite a big bloke (would guess 6’2/6’3), but beyond that don’t really know much about him.

Edit: was also selected for the England Uni side before their game was cancelled due to Covid.
Looks like a useful project player.... with Sirker (Wade/Varndell) and Mehson (Bassett) looks like a promising future.

Akker Van Der Tigs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

South Africa

Club or Nation

Leicester

Talk is Tigers have so far signed at least a
Centre
Back Rower
Tighthead

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

Talk is Tigers have so far signed at least a
Centre
Back Rower
Tighthead
Presumably the back rower is Marco van Staden? That was reported as more or less a done deal a little while back.

Akker Van Der Tigs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

South Africa

Club or Nation

Leicester

Presumably the back rower is Marco van Staden? That was reported as more or less a done deal a little while back.

Another one.
He’s confirmed by the club already

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

The criteria seems to be large South Africans.

Curious to see how Liebenberg, Wiese, Brink, van Staden, Martin, Reffell + AN Other all fit in ...

Martin has probably broken through quicker than expected, but it would be a shame to limit his development. Unless the plan is for him to be considered only as a lock moving forward?

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

I guess that makes sense given Lavanini is off and Enever already left (a nothing singing if I ever saw one).

From an England POV, there are fewer quality locks coming through in comparison to the wealth of young back row talent, but I suspect Martin will have some real filling out to do to be a top level lock IMO. Loads of potential, but as of right now, looks a bit lightweight for a test lock.

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

SOB 3.0 ---> Exeter

Would be a pain for Connacht he's been very good lately.

This is the Connacht centre btw, not the LI backrow, Connacht lock/backrow or Leinster backrow.

Groundhog

Grond van der Hogg
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

South Africa

Club or Nation

Munster

SOB 3.0 ---> Exeter

Would be a pain for Connacht he's been very good lately.

This is the Connacht centre btw, not the LI backrow, Connacht lock/backrow or Leinster backrow.
Weird one

EdBirch

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Worcester

Who is in need of a winger? Possibly a move to Japan?

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Sale

I thought he was going to a different french club?
Vaguely remember stories about his current club being angry at him for activating his relegation clause or something

Not Mike Brown's Sock

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

UK

Club or Nation

Harlequins

I thought he was going to a different french club?
Vaguely remember stories about his current club being angry at him for activating his relegation clause or something
Left Agen for Montpellier and they've not extended his contract

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

Who is in need of a winger? Possibly a move to Japan?
Not a wild suggestion. He could do very well over there.

I could also see him going to MLR.

I guess it entirely depends on his priorities. So far, that seems to be to make money above all else. If he wants to maximise his potential, then coming back to the Premiership and working on his weaknesses could be the better option. He has lots of talent - he just needs to show more willingness to work on his deficincies.

Japan might give him a number of options - money, a decent standard of rugby where he can still improve and even the long term possibility of test rugby. Japan have shown no qualms in naturalising players so if he’s willing to bet on the long game, who knows?

EdBirch

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Worcester

Not a wild suggestion. He could do very well over there.

I could also see him going to MLR.

I guess it entirely depends on his priorities. So far, that seems to be to make money above all else. If he wants to maximise his potential, then coming back to the Premiership and working on his weaknesses could be the better option. He has lots of talent - he just needs to show more willingness to work on his deficincies.

Japan might give him a number of options - money, a decent standard of rugby where he can still improve and even the long term possibility of test rugby. Japan have shown no qualms in naturalising players so if he’s willing to bet on the long game, who knows?
He's not capped is he so residency could be an option?

As you say, if he really wanted to push for being regarded at top level, a return to the Prem but i can't see any team splash the cash on him.

I realise that we've splashed 300k on DvdM but don't see other teams doing that for Ibitoye

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Harlequins

Yes, but he’s not really in a great bargaining position so they might not need to ‘splash the cash’ all that much.

Whatever the reasons, his time in France has been a bit of a disaster so I don’t really see that he’s going to be able to command a particularly high wage.

He’s not tied to England so going to Japan or the US and going for eligibility is one angle he could take. 5yrs is a long time though.

Akker Van Der Tigs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

South Africa

Club or Nation

Leicester

Eh I see plenty of English teams looking at him.
MLR outside a few players isn't that high playing, prob just above championship with the added bonus of living provided etc.

Tigers should have a look at him.
Could easily see Sale having a look at him also especially is Solomona goes.

Not Mike Brown's Sock

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

UK

Club or Nation

Harlequins

Parisse to Quins looking likely.

A good person for some young players to learn off. Happy if he's not on too much money. Could be a fantastic signing or an awful one

Latest posts