• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Rumours
Toulon - JJ
Quins want Dobson but are in a fight for him with Stormers
Everard replacing Costello at Wasps
Exeter signed Josh Losefa-Scott

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to world rugby, but I confess to knowing next to nothing about Dobson. Is he someone worth fighting for?

Assuming that if Exeter get Josh Losefa Scott, then Obano is off the table?

Also i wonder if we will be in the hunt for Roux.

We may have signed Stooke but Blackett has said he wants a front line second row and with Launchbury out, Roux would cover that.

See Care talking about the LA Giltinis.

I could see him potentially moving after next season, especially if Gits and AAC are still involved. Who wouldn't want to get paid to play easy rugby in LA at the end of their career

Rugby Paper has Soloman and Jake Cooper-Wooley leaving Sale at the end of the season,

Neither would surprise me tbh,
Not sure what JCW's injury is but he's not played since last Autumn, and looks to be making efforts outside of the game with the RPA. Wouldn't be surprised if he's retiring, especially as he had a lot of injuries at Wasps.

Solomona has had talks with Bristol, with our blessing, apparently.
I'd be gutted to see leave, but if he feels a change of scenery is what he needs to get his career fully back on track then I don't begrudge him it. Only played six games this season for us so wouldn't really impact our selection practises.
What does surprise me, though, is that he still has two years on his contract, which Bristol would need to buy out. I imagine he's on a decent wage with us, as it's his second contract with us and he was in excellent form when he re-signed, so...how are Bristol fitting his wage + two seasons of his existing contract under the cap?

Rugby Paper has Soloman and Jake Cooper-Wooley leaving Sale at the end of the season,

Neither would surprise me tbh,
Not sure what JCW's injury is but he's not played since last Autumn, and looks to be making efforts outside of the game with the RPA. Wouldn't be surprised if he's retiring, especially as he had a lot of injuries at Wasps.

Solomona has had talks with Bristol, with our blessing, apparently.
I'd be gutted to see leave, but if he feels a change of scenery is what he needs to get his career fully back on track then I don't begrudge him it. Only played six games this season for us so wouldn't really impact our selection practises.
What does surprise me, though, is that he still has two years on his contract, which Bristol would need to buy out. I imagine he's on a decent wage with us, as it's his second contract with us and he was in excellent form when he re-signed, so...how are Bristol fitting his wage + two seasons of his existing contract under the cap?
Leiua or Morohan on the way out maybe? That's not based on anything, just speculation

I suppose they've also got Malins and earl going too

Replacement for Malins would make sense - especially as they've used him on the wing this season, and have Ioan Lloyd to cover fullback behind Piutau

No way Malins salary = 3 x Solomona though
True - any chance that Sale let him leave early without a buyout? It's seemed like they've been very accommodating of his struggles this season

True - any chance that Sale let him leave early without a buyout? It's seemed like they've been very accommodating of his struggles this season
It's definitely possible - but equally this is the first season we've actually spent up to the salary cap so will likely be trying to claw some of that back
For example WillGriff John signed to us from the championship and leaves us as someone who should have been playing international rugby for a season now (was due to start for Wales last Six Nations) - signing a like-for-like replacement isn't a like-for-like salary exchange
The extent of our kindness might be letting him explore his options, but not wiping the contract-slate clean

Apart from the money/contract state of things, I hope wherever he does end up (be it with us, or a rival) he gets back to his old form again and falls in love with the sport again. Genuinely nice guy who made some mistakes in his past when struggling with substance abuse issues and has had to live with the reputation afterwards.

Would think so from both his and the clubs POV.

Other rugby paper rumours
Henry Thomas to La Rochelle
Nathan Earle being looked at by Perpignan and Ospreys
Rory Sutherland apparently turned down Worcester
Martin Gleason to England rugby

That's a good point, actually - Solomona has played...one? game under Sanderson, and it wasn't a very good one (loss to Bath, I think?)
Axe might be thinking he's managed this long without Solomona, Solomona wants to weigh up his options, might as well let him go and use the salary cap elsewhere(/for a replacement) - it's not like he's losing a player from his first choice 23 as Solomona's not really been available since Axe joined

If Solomona does leave then I hope we sign someone with real pace (like Denny has/had in his prime) - as much as I love Yarde and McGuigan neither have the kind of pace that worries a defence (nor do Hammersley or James at fullback). There really is no substitute for being really ******* rapid.

Would prob be better off giving Roebuck Solomona's wing spot.

Then look to sign either a front rower or a more all round back who can cover more than just wing.

Aye, money will go on a tighthead - if it's Schoenert, as rumours would lead you to believe, then we'll need to buy him out of his contract. Definitely need recruitment there, though - very excited in Harper's development but if we lose two senior tightheads we're thin on the ground, especially for a true scrummager. Don't particularly rate Oosthuizen but Schoenert/Oosthuizen/Harper is a reasonable crop of tightheads.

Reed and Roebuck coming through at wing, Carpenter and Gourlay at fullback. Not ideal only having two true senior wingers but the way we play atm they're more kick chase and defensive roles than fully involved in attack - centre is more of an issue for me, Sam James looks a shadow of his former self. Would be very interested in seeing Doherty at 12 and Manu at 13, that's a true mix of pace and power.

Other rugby paper rumours
Henry Thomas to La Rochelle
Nathan Earle being looked at by Perpignan and Ospreys
Rory Sutherland apparently turned down Worcester
Martin Gleason to England rugby
Let's face it, Sutherland isn't the first and won't be the last to turn us down. Who would want to come to a bottom of the table club?

Latest posts