• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Really? I always thought they were
It's a common mistake that was widely exposed when Bath were suspected of salary cap breach because [Redacted]'s transfer fee was both widely known, and assumed to be inside the salary cap.
It was exposed that transfer fees aren't salary (after all, the player, his representatives, or family etc sees none of it); but people assumed it was anyway; so kept adding £500k to Bath's assumed expenses, which couldn't have been afforded.

It may well have happened before then as well, but that's the first transfer fee that had people saying "how the hell can that be afforded inside the cap?"

It's a common mistake that was widely exposed when Bath were suspected of salary cap breach because [Redacted]'s transfer fee was both widely known, and assumed to be inside the salary cap.
It was exposed that transfer fees aren't salary (after all, the player, his representatives, or family etc sees none of it); but people assumed it was anyway; so kept adding £500k to Bath's assumed expenses, which couldn't have been afforded.

It may well have happened before then as well, but that's the first transfer fee that had people saying "how the hell can that be afforded inside the cap?"
Interesting,
Guess it makes sense, but seems like a loophole that shouldn't be there if the purpose of the salary cap is to try and create financial equality amongst the clubs

Interesting,
Guess it makes sense, but seems like a loophole that shouldn't be there if the purpose of the salary cap is to try and create financial equality amongst the clubs
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about it.
On the one hand, as you say, it goes against the purpose of the salary cap - but on the other, it doesn't. You can still only spend so much on your squad's actual salaries - on the other, if a richer club is buying a player from a poorer; it's actually helping spread the wealth - to no real advantage on how much the richer club can spend on the salary itself.

Take Solomona to Bristol (or Redpath to Bath); Sale are generally spending below the salary cap (though not massively) - with that extra money coming in, they can afford to spend more on their squad itself. Bristol/Bath aren't getting a higher quality player for lesser money though, so it doesn't make to much difference.
Given that you can't have a marquee player who's just come from another GP club; you also can't just throw money at enticing a player away from their current club and overspending on them.

I have a much bigger problem with transfers mid-contract being a thing in the first place; and the ability to loan a player out to put them outside of the cap - especially as you can apparently do that with players who's actually played for you that season!

Great player, but not where Ulster should be prioritising their spending ...

With O'Sullivan coming along really nicely and Healy on the wane, I'd have thought the IRFU would want his game time to be maximised, not limited behind a Scotland international.

If they have the kind of money Sutherland would cost, it would be far better to get a proper replacement for Coetzee.

Great signing if it's true. Bristol also linked with Solomona this weekend. They're assembling some side ...

Great signings if true. Wasps have just signed Dan Frost (HKR) from Cornish Pirates

Great player, but not where Ulster should be prioritising their spending ...

With O'Sullivan coming along really nicely and Healy on the wane, I'd have thought the IRFU would want his game time to be maximised, not limited behind a Scotland international.

If they have the kind of money Sutherland would cost, it would be far better to get a proper replacement for Coetzee.

I agree it would be a weird one. You would imagine the IRFU have a ban on NIQ LHs. I don't think Eric is a long-term answer but he's certainly of more use to Ireland than Sutherland. Of course there's an argument with you need to be two deep in the frontrow to compete at the top level and Warwick certainly means you aren't at LH but as you say there's other positions that need the money more. McGrath will likely be rehabbing most of next year so they may have special dispensation but I'd really rather Reid gets good gametime and they maybe try bring in James Cronin if his contract isn't renewed.

Also can't remember the last time a province signed an NIQ who plays in the 6N. It's the time they're arguably needed most.

Yes. Very true - particularly if O'Sullivan is called up.

Totally agree that Warwick's not up to it, but surely there are other Irish qualified options that can be reasonable 3rd choices rather than pushing the 1st choice back in to 2nd and potentially losing both of them for the test windows.

I see James Cronin is leaving Munster with no destination announced as yet. There's nothing to substantiate this, but I wonder if he fancies linking up with a Jerry here at Quins? We need a loosehead, he wants a new challenge, could be a good fit?

I see James Cronin is leaving Munster with no destination announced as yet. There's nothing to substantiate this, but I wonder if he fancies linking up with a Jerry here at Quins? We need a loosehead, he wants a new challenge, could be a good fit?
There's no rumors on where he's headed just yet, but I don't think its an unlikely landing spot! He'd be a very good signing for most sides I'd wager, he had a really good season for us imo.

Would be a great, albeit bizarre signing for Ulster
Please no...

I mean I know our prop stores arent amazing, but lets give the young guys a shot at least. EOS mightnt be a massive impact player, but he scrummed really well vs Furlong at the weekend and has a helluvan engine

Its dynamic ball carriers we're missing, especially when Hendy is with ireland... Front foot ball, or even just parity with top clubs and we're an increasingly difficult prospect

Wasps sign Luke Mehson from Exeter Chiefs/post trial. Anyone know much about him?

Latest posts