English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Heineken%20Cup.png

Stadio Communale di Monigo (22/01/2012, 14:00)
Benetton.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Saracens.png

Live on Sky Italia/Sky Sports​

Mon the Italians!

Leading 17-10 after 35 minutes. I shudder to think what the non-HD quality picture is like.

Treviso becoming a bloomin awkward place to get a result

Boo, I blame Barnes. :p

Really felt Treviso shoud have got a result, the usual suspect of handling let them down, and maintaining possession in contact, but some good defence y SA_Racens at the end though.

Well, Sky were highly critical of Sarries but the fact remains that we've got 5 wins out of 6, a home QF and are the only team to have won at Treviso in the HC this season. It was always going to be a tight, tough game and I'm delighted with a win.

However, we shot ourselves in the foot somewhat, and not for the first time. To me, it's quite obvious that Spencer is a vastly superior player to Stringer at the moment, who only ever does good when atoning for his own mistakes, which are frequent.. His passing is outstanding, but kicking and defensively he's awful. Showed that again today. Spencer really needs to start ahead of Stringer.

Also, taking off Nieto was an error, considering Stevens is a weaker scrummager and our scrum was under pressure as soon as Stevens went to tighthead. And I don't know why Short was taken off when he was having a good game. Little things that make life a little harder for ourselves.

I was at the stadium today, as Treviso's fan i was pretty happy of what the guys have done, too many mistakes close to scoring try all the time but in the end we can be happy for that! what happened to Roland? an Injury?

Thoughts on England players in this match..

Matt Stevens - scrummaged poorly, quiet in the loose mostly, starting to panic about our tighthead options..

Mouritz Botha - good grunt work overall, some nice defense and a good line from deep to score that try.

Charlie Hodgeson - some very nice tactical kicking, good distribution and actually some suprisingly good/brave defence.

Brad Barritt - good straightening and crash balls, impressive distribution and extremely tenacious and menacing defence.

Owen Farrell - again .. kicking from tee very sound, defence mostly solid, but again very quiet in attack other that cementing set plays together.. which he does quite well in fairness..

David Strettle - looks dangerous on attack but no more so than those likely to start ahead of him.

Alex Goode - another classy game from him, very solid performance in attack and defense.

So that's Cole and Stevens both playing like crap.
Going to be a fun Six Nations :lol:

Guys what can you tell me about Treviso's front row? what about Rizzo (loosehead) and Cittadini (Tighthead)?

Farrell's defence is so overrated by the pundits, he's by no means a bad tackler but they try and make him out as if he's Scott Gibbs which he isn't, missed a tackle for the Barbieri try, also in attack does he ever attack the gainline, ever? I watched both the Saracens matches these two H Cup rounds, and whilst Barritt is a brick in defence and can offload, Farrell does nothing in attack, England should be wary of picking him at 13 for the 6 Nations unless they want to play a Saracens game plan

Mouritz Botha was very good, a menace at rucks, scored a try and also was the main reason for the second from the chargedown

what's happened to Stevens? after being impressive before being called up to the World Cup squad where he came in the form prop, but at the World Cup he conceded a lot of penalties against Argentina, Georgia and France, and since coming back for Saracens he's been largely on the bench and was destroyed by the Treviso scrum, taking Nieto off was a poor decision from the Saracens management

Sounds like Hodgeson and Barritt had good games then? It least that's a posititve.

Farrell's defence is so overrated by the pundits, he's by no means a bad tackler but they try and make him out as if he's Scott Gibbs which he isn't, missed a tackle for the Barbieri try, also in attack does he ever attack the gainline, ever? I watched both the Saracens matches these two H Cup rounds, and whilst Barritt is a brick in defence and can offload, Farrell does nothing in attack, England should be wary of picking him at 13 for the 6 Nations unless they want to play a Saracens game plan

Mouritz Botha was very good, a menace at rucks, scored a try and also was the main reason for the second from the chargedown

what's happened to Stevens? after being impressive before being called up to the World Cup squad where he came in the form prop, but at the World Cup he conceded a lot of penalties against Argentina, Georgia and France, and since coming back for Saracens he's been largely on the bench and was destroyed by the Treviso scrum, taking Nieto off was a poor decision from the Saracens management

Yes, as I said he was mostly solid in defence. Remember he's pretty much a teenager still and is a fly half by nature, and by rule of thumb, fly halves tend to miss a few tackles now and again. So, I will stick to my words and say that he is generally still a good defender.

As I said, he adds little to attack other than being 'cement', between Hodgeson and Barritt, and Barritt and the outside backs. In the England squad, he would be fine especially with outside backs like Sharples, Foden, Brown and Ashton.

England probably will go for the Sarries game plan to start with, and I'm hoping it will be successful.

Yes, as I said he was mostly solid in defence. Remember he's pretty much a teenager still and is a fly half by nature, and by rule of thumb, fly halves tend to miss a few tackles now and again. So, I will stick to my words and say that he is generally still a good defender.

As I said, he adds little to attack other than being 'cement', between Hodgeson and Barritt, and Barritt and the outside backs. In the England squad, he would be fine especially with outside backs like Sharples, Foden, Brown and Ashton.

England probably will go for the Sarries game plan to start with, and I'm hoping it will be successful.

Dont remember a young Jonny Wilkinson missing many but I take your point. If he has wants to play centre he will have to sort that out.

Latest posts