• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Piriformis and sciatica

Failed a squat, not even heavy, on tuesday - my last warm up set of 5 @ 110kg, 5th rep I lost my brace and something clicked real bad in back, thought it was a herniated disc but doesn't seem to be that bad

Holy **** sciatica is bad, though. Standing up (/fully straightening my hips) feels like my hamstring is going to snap. Have to keep reminding myself that it's just pressure on a nerve, and I don't need to limp, but I've had some real dicey moments - unable to walk more than a few steps without needing to sit down.
Heat packs off Amazon, and sitting on a dining room chair instead of desk chair/sofa is a god send.
Definitely getting better, but still having real issues with my hip area. Honestly would take my dislocated knee over this. At least with that I knew what I was working with.

From what I've read I've got a couple more weeks of this, as well - and even after that I think I'm going to hit the leg press instead of squats for a few weeks after as well

Piriformis and sciatica

Failed a squat, not even heavy, on tuesday - my last warm up set of 5 @ 110kg, 5th rep I lost my brace and something clicked real bad in back, thought it was a herniated disc but doesn't seem to be that bad

Holy **** sciatica is bad, though. Standing up (/fully straightening my hips) feels like my hamstring is going to snap. Have to keep reminding myself that it's just pressure on a nerve, and I don't need to limp, but I've had some real dicey moments - unable to walk more than a few steps without needing to sit down.
Heat packs off Amazon, and sitting on a dining room chair instead of desk chair/sofa is a god send.
Definitely getting better, but still having real issues with my hip area. Honestly would take my dislocated knee over this. At least with that I knew what I was working with.

From what I've read I've got a couple more weeks of this, as well - and even after that I think I'm going to hit the leg press instead of squats for a few weeks after as well

****, get better soon, that sounds rotten.

https://www.nike.com/ie/t/metcon-6-training-shoe-6Jmtk3/CK9387-706

I bought a pair of these, whatever about the questionable fashion, the function is incredible. I went from a normal pair of running shoes with a very soft base to these and immediately added 5kg to my previous 1RM on squat and repped it twice while feeling far more balanced. Had never even considered the difference a proper gym shoe could make.

https://www.nike.com/ie/t/metcon-6-training-shoe-6Jmtk3/CK9387-706

I bought a pair of these, whatever about the questionable fashion, the function is incredible. I went from a normal pair of running shoes with a very soft base to these and immediately added 5kg to my previous 1RM on squat and repped it twice while feeling far more balanced. Had never even considered the difference a proper gym shoe could make.

Yeah squishy soles are shite for static lifting and possibly a risk factor. I use wrestling shoes because they were the flattest soles I could find without being a slipper or barefoot.

Love my metcons, wearing running shoes feels crazy unstable after using them for so long. I can't imagine doing something like military press with all that extra squish in the soles let alone squats (though I use heeled shoes for my squats)

I just go shoeless
Shoeless for deadlifts is the Juan

Love my metcons, wearing running shoes feels crazy unstable after using them for so long. I can't imagine doing something like military press with all that extra squish in the soles let alone squats (though I use heeled shoes for my squats)

Shoeless for deadlifts is the Juan
Same story for military press yeah. Looks like I'll be putting them in the wardrobe for a while tomorrow though, gyms set to close for more than a month here again.

Back to home workouts. I'm way behind where I was calisthenics wise than at the end of the last lockdown despite averaging 4-5 gym sessions a week since July. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Back to home workouts. I'm way behind where I was calisthenics wise than at the end of the last lockdown despite averaging 4-5 gym sessions a week since July. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Samsies but it's to be expected anytime you change focus like that, just like the weights it'll come back better than you expect.

Have gyms closed again in the UK? Haven't really been following.

Finding it really tough to motivate myself to do home workouts this time round.

Last day tomorrow (lockdown starts 0:01 Thursday),
I hate hate hated home workouts the first time round, and that's when it was sunny so I could get out running/cycling - now it's freezing cold and raining, it's not going to go well at all

Finding it really tough to motivate myself to do home workouts this time round.
I workout at home now and have found that a cup of coffee and some very heavy metal on my headphones really helps get that motivation up.

When the wife and kids are kicking about the house though I find it really hard to get motivated, I need to move to a house with a

Is anyone else subscribed to the video updates from WSM? (https://www.facebook.com/events/356686308897710/)

For only £1.99, I took a punt on it. Last night's preview was an interview with Colin Bryce, a guided tour of "the bone yard" where they're keeping the event equipment and an interview with Martins Licis. I didn't learn anything much from the Colin Bryce interview that I hadn't already gleaned from YouTube and I would say that he was the wrong person to do the interview without preparation. The equipment section was interesting, particularly the scale of how much kit they drag around the world to make shows happen and the interview with Martins was interesting and gave bang up to date info. For the price, I'd recommend this to anyone with an interest in the sport, I wouldn't have minded paying £1.99 for last night's content and I have the next five days of updates to look forward to. You don't have to be around for the live stream, all videos are available on demand afterwards.

I've just realised that there hasn't been any talk about the comp here, so for anyone who hasn't been following the news on this, there's a lot of competitors missing (I'm sure I'll forget some):

Hafthor Bjornsson (busy boxing)
Martins Licis (getting over a car accident)
Mateusz Kieliszkowski / Rob Kearney (injured)
Konstantine Janashia / Martin Forsmark (falied pre-travel covid tests)

Even without those names, the field looks pretty decent and strong enough for there to be a couple of "pools of death". Obviously covid has distrupted everything, but I don;t understand the decision to hold it somewhere famed for its bad weather so as to cause further disruption. Apparently the truck pull in the heats has been binned off in favour of a farmer's because of the weather and there are question marks over other events.

Naw,
I was interested but I don't want to encourage their shitty organisation tbh - if it was a full event stream I'd be in, but just interviews n that? I'll watch the athletes vlogs on their youtubes instead and home that the /r/strongman spreadsheet has got someone on in the inside who can leak results

Hoping for Shaw to pull it out of the bag, just for nostalgias sake, but I just don't think he has it in him anymore - especially on the moving events. Even after dropping so much weight he still moves like a tug boat.

Good chance of 1, maybe even 2, Brits on the podium.
Stoltman the younger has a good chance of taking the top spot, with so many out, and Bishop is on a tear recently.

It's a shame Kiels had to pull out, he would have walked it IMO - him vs Martins next year will be huge.

For whatever reason I'm not especially hyped for WSM. Not sure if it's the lack of the top tier this year or the fact that you can't actually see the events until they're televised at Christmas.

There also just seems to be bad organisation. Obviously Covid has made things trickier than usual but as you say there's talk of events changing and the groups have already been changed twice I think.

A lot of fans on the strongman subreddit are also very ****** off at the last man standing stone event in the heats. Saying the guys who get through will be pretty toast come the finals.

I'll keep an eye on the strongman subreddit but don't think I'll buy the stream, though that's partially because it's in Facebook.

Am most interested in how Novikov, Richardson and I guess O'Dwyer get on. Don't mind the Stoltman's or Bishop either.

Really gone off Shaw recently and I hope Oberst gets nowhere.

I hope Oberst gets nowhere.
Aye,
I didn't used to mind him when he first started appearing on Hall, etc.,s videos but now that he's shown what a rightwing conspiracy nutjob he is I can't stand him.

I'm souring on Shaw a bit as well, tbh - seems quite entitled and then is very "No excuses....but here's a list of excuses 10miles long" whenever he fails at something - fake humble.

Latest posts