• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Naw,
I was interested but I don't want to encourage their shitty organisation tbh - if it was a full event stream I'd be in, but just interviews n that? I'll watch the athletes vlogs on their youtubes instead and home that the /r/strongman spreadsheet has got someone on in the inside who can leak results

Hoping for Shaw to pull it out of the bag, just for nostalgias sake, but I just don't think he has it in him anymore - especially on the moving events. Even after dropping so much weight he still moves like a tug boat.

Good chance of 1, maybe even 2, Brits on the podium.
Stoltman the younger has a good chance of taking the top spot, with so many out, and Bishop is on a tear recently.

It's a shame Kiels had to pull out, he would have walked it IMO - him vs Martins next year will be huge.
What's so shitty about the organisation? I've been pretty out of touch since the Dougie Edmunds days.. Lots of people are upset with the lack of a live stream, but I don't see how it could ever work, particularly for heats. IMO nobody but the most hardcore fans would be up for watching 8+ disjointed hours of mostly downtime.

The world and his wife seem to think that the ***le is Shaw's and lots of people seem to be saying that he's coming in in great shape, but this could be people just assuming that the big name will win. In the absence of Kieliszkowski, I'll be crossing my fingers for Tom Stoltman.

+1 on team Noberst. I don't know how much of how he comes across is him being a dick and how much is him thinking it's in his interests to play the heal, but either way, I wouldn't be too upset if he died in a grease fire. I haven't seen a lot of Shaw's content recently, but when I did, I didn't mind him when I did. The only thing I hold against him is that he's guilty by association with Oberst and the giant man baby that is Eddie Hall.

While we're in to character assasination, where did all the characters in strongman go? Big Loz was talking about his favourites in a recent show and named most of mine, most of whom go back to the 80s or 90s.

What's so shitty about the organisation?
I meant organisation of the tournament media rather than the organisation itself (though there's plenty of talk of favouritism/cliques within WSM with many competitors starting to view the Arnold's as the pinnacle of the sport).

It's 2020 and the only official way to find out results of a tournament happening today is to wait until channel 5 at Christmas.
I don't get why they can't just sell a live stream like plenty of other strongman comps do - I doubt it would impact viewing figures at all.
The ones who would pay for it would still tune in for the behind the scenes/interviews, and the vast majority of viewers at Christmas just want to see huge humans throw beer kegs, they're not going to care about (/come across) any spoilers

I meant organisation of the tournament media rather than the organisation itself (though there's plenty of talk of favouritism/cliques within WSM with many competitors starting to view the Arnold's as the pinnacle of the sport).

It's 2020 and the only official way to find out results of a tournament happening today is to wait until channel 5 at Christmas.
I don't get why they can't just sell a live stream like plenty of other strongman comps do - I doubt it would impact viewing figures at all.
The ones who would pay for it would still tune in for the behind the scenes/interviews, and the vast majority of viewers at Christmas just want to see huge humans throw beer kegs, they're not going to care about (/come across) any spoilers
Until there's a standard set of events, or a transparent way of drawing events out from a pool of events, suspicions of favouritism will always do the rounds. I remember the 56lbs weight for height mysteriously appearing the year that Gregor Edmunds (highland games competitor and son of Dougie) made the worlds!

The thing I've subscribed to is run be the organisers, so I don't see why you don't think that it's an official way of finding out the results.

Unless it is written into contracts that it can't be streamed, I don't know why the organisers don't give it a go, but it's a massive challenge. WSM is primarily a TV production, whereas any other show that I've seen streamed is designed for a live audience. Much as I enjoy the sport, if the storm hits, there's no way that I want to watch 25 different competitors in succession do a squat for max. I couldn't even see myself dedicating a couple of working days to watching the final. It's like the difference between live streaming a play and a movie.

I can't imagine that spoilers are a worry for anyone these days. I used to avoid visiting strongman websites / forums / newsgroups from the contest date onwards each year so that I could watch things unford on TV without spoilers, but times move on and the world is a much smaller place. Eddie Hall's win in 2017 made the MSM.

Ah, didn't realise they were releasing results on that - in previous years there was nothing official until it was on TV

Latest news, day one didn't happen thanks to weather, meaning that there will be no rest day between the "stone off" and the final, so don't look for much out of group runners up in the final. Apparently there are plans to hold the whole things inside. The way that Colin Bryce was talking, it sounds like he's hoping that this sets a presedent.

Who would have thought refreshing a spreadsheet all weekend would be so interesting

Can't wait to watch WSM next month

Delighted for Novikov! Such a fun guy to watch. Also big for atom Stoltman coming second, winning three events, if his grip wasn't so bad he'd have won.

Tom doing the full stone run faster than most people only managed four stones is insane. They literally can't make a stone event hard enough for him that won't just eliminate everyone else.
Luke Richardson making the finals on only his 5th comp is quality. Expected a little more from him on deads and hercules, but a 4 day comp will take it's toll. Just needs to up his strongman conditioning - Novikov was the same last year, and since then he's competed in every comp he can get to (apparently did 8 in a month over the summer).
Think we're entering a real golden age for the sport with so many young guys performing so well - it's a shame Thor retired and Martins said he'll retire in a couple of years (33 I think?). Also not sure what state Kiels will be in when he returns, apparently he has already had surgery on his tricep twice.

Back in the gym after 6 weeks of lockdown... Strength loss a lot more evident than last time.
I have some Olympic dumbbells at home now (they take Olympic plates) and a bench. I've quit my gym and I love it!!! I suggest you get some kind of home set up as this is probably going to happen again.

I can loads with two 50kg DBs!!!

Home gym set up is so damn expensive though, rack + barbell + plates runs over a grand easy - plus the space needed

I'm proper buzzing to get back in tomorrow,
Squats for a baptism of fire

Home gym set up is so damn expensive though, rack + barbell + plates runs over a grand easy - plus the space needed

I'm proper buzzing to get back in tomorrow,
Squats for a baptism of fire

It's crazy pre covid you could prob get that all used for like 200-300 even now used is like 3x as much.

You can still get a cage and some weights second hand off gumtree or Facebook market place (well you can in the midlands).

You do need space and around £500 minimum really, but a pair of DBs at home and great to just have anyhow if you can't make the gym.

Ive found with work and two young kids that having my wrights at home means that I never miss a workout. But I do miss the gym,

I have some Olympic dumbbells at home now (they take Olympic plates) and a bench. I've quit my gym and I love it!!! I suggest you get some kind of home set up as this is probably going to happen again.

I can loads with two 50kg DBs!!!
Not an option for me unfortunately, I'll probably pick up some more resistance bands and a med ball when we get locked up in January.

Lockdown is great for shredding down, I went from 83kg to 76 this year and I'm lean as I've ever been but ideally I'd be trying to put on muscle consistently until March and I don't see that happening.

Lockdown is great for shredding down, I went from 83kg to 76 this year and I'm lean as I've ever been but ideally I'd be trying to put on muscle consistently until March and I don't see that happening.
Gone from 104kg to 123kg since the first lockdown. Got an 18.8% body fat though so it could be worse, and lifts have gone up massively #proplife

Europe's Strongest Man on Channel 5 now...despite being held a number of months ago.

Didn't realise Aaron Page, who sadly passed away from Covid recently, was in this.

Hybrid Performance have added Matt Fraser to their coaching team. That's a big get.

Jeeze, that really is!
I've been following Hayden and Alex on instagram for ages, I thought they'd try and hook Fraser for something, after the podcast appearance, but didn't expect him to be that involved.

WUS Strength Island starting at 10:45am. Streaming on the rogue youtube channel. Also apparently on BT but I can't find it. Meant to only be 3hrs and stick to a right schedule because it's being shown on ESPN.

Also looks like our gyms won't be open until May. Bought sandbags for this lockdown but I really miss the gym.

Edit:

Last edited:
Also apparently on BT but I can't find it.
Yeah I was trying to find it n all, lying bar-stewards
Be interesting to see how good Bish can get now he's full time on strongman

Supposedly our gyms open 4 weeks on Monday, gonna look like Bambie on ice underneath a bar

Latest posts