• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

It looked like there was more in the tank, but enough to put another 77kg on the bar? They're far from an exact science, but a 1 RM calculator put his at 464kg based on this set.

He's a lovely lifter to watch, he just looks like he was built to deadlift.

Sorry I didn't make it at all clear but he actually did two sets. Which changes it massively, also with a fully completed peak he'll certainly be within touching distance.

Can anyone recommend any YouTube channels please? My primary interest is strongman, but am flexible if the content is good. Since the parting of the ways of Terry Hollands and Kate Errington and Juji and Tom, I'm a bit short of content. I look forward to anything new from Big Loz and Matt Rhodes and watch most things by Brian Shaw, Martins Licis and Barbend, but am not too excited by them.

Meant to reply to this before. What do you like to get out of them? Instructional content, banter, just doing freaky stuff etc?

Olyy gave a pretty good run down of the pro strongmen youtubes but I thought I'd throw out my absolute favourite channel which is Brian Alsruhe's his focus and volume of output has changed recently with his health problems and Covid but he's a beacon of positivity who trains in a really unique way for a strongman even if he is a 105.

Once the videos start getting up in the 15 minute plus range and it's just really training or whatever the creators tend to lose me but on the powerlifting side I've heard Russell Ohri's channel is good but can't say I've really watched it.

Anything with Dave Tate can be fun just for seeing a grumpy old meathead, and he does come out with some good info as well.

Last edited:
Meant to reply to this before. What do you like to get out of them? Instructional content, banter, just doing freaky stuff etc?

Olyy gave a pretty good run down of the pro strongmen youtubes but I thought I'd throw out my absolute favourite channel which is Brian Alsruhe's his focus and volume of output has changed recently with his health problems and Covid but he's a beacon of positivity who trains in a really unique way for a strongman even if he is a 105.

Once the videos start getting up in the 15 minute plus range and it's just really training or whatever the creators tend to lose me but on the powerlifting side I've heard Russell Ohri's channel is good but can't say I've really watched it.

Anything with Dave Tate can be fun just for seeing a grumpy old meathead, and he does come out with some good info as well.
Discussion / analysis / news / interview content is probably my favourite, hence me liking Big Loz and Matt Rhodes, although Loz has been doing more training stuff now that he's able. I haven't really come across anyone else who creates this kind of content. Outside of that, anything that provides an insight into how people train / live is interesting to me. Like yourself, I'm not interested in watching someone banging out set after set, I prefer an explanation of what they're doing and why, then an example of the movement. The Stoltman brothers are a fairly good example of this and are especially interesting when they have their coach around.

Also, I used to be really into grip training, so would be very interested in any grip content that involves a bit more than someone just lifting an implement / closing a gripper. It used to come up as a novelty in Juji and Tom's videos, but since Tom's departure, Juji seems to have forgotten that he owns Grip Genie!

I've given Brian Alsruhe's channel a like, I'll see what I make of it.

Discussion / analysis / news / interview content is probably my favourite, hence me liking Big Loz and Matt Rhodes, although Loz has been doing more training stuff now that he's able. I haven't really come across anyone else who creates this kind of content. Outside of that, anything that provides an insight into how people train / live is interesting to me. Like yourself, I'm not interested in watching someone banging out set after set, I prefer an explanation of what they're doing and why, then an example of the movement. The Stoltman brothers are a fairly good example of this and are especially interesting when they have their coach around.

Also, I used to be really into grip training, so would be very interested in any grip content that involves a bit more than someone just lifting an implement / closing a gripper. It used to come up as a novelty in Juji and Tom's videos, but since Tom's departure, Juji seems to have forgotten that he owns Grip Genie!

I've given Brian Alsruhe's channel a like, I'll see what I make of it.

Can't say I really know any Youtube channels that fit what you're looking for so. However there's a few podcasts you might be interested in. Stronger by Science (Greg Nuckols and Eric Trexler) is probably the least like what you're looking for, as the name suggests the hosts are research focused but they have good banter between them and the Q&A episodes can be very good.

Iron Culture (Omar Isuf and Eric Helms) is quite like what you describe, they regularly interview people from around the lifting word and discuss a wide range of topics, although Omar's 'banter' certainly isn't for everyone.

Dave Tate's table talk probably has some episode's you'd be interested in. I'm actually listening to one he did with Juji recently where they're talking about grip sports. He also did an episode last week with Matt Rhodes, Jim Wendler and Vincent Dizenzo. I haven't listened to it yet but from experience the training talk will be good but there will be some 'political' comments where YMMV on how much you can stomach them. Like Libertarian American comments which I really don't know why Wendler feels the need to make them.

My Gym has got this rocky speech up on the wall and it makes me laugh every time I see it

Arnold's classic in bham later this year and giants live! I've got tickets for both. Something to look forward to.

Absolutely crazy WSM this year

Forever fuming they're too stuck in the stone age to stream it live, and I have to follow a spreadsheet and a bunch of vlogs to see what's happened and then wait for half a year to watch it
Completely agree. I wish bt or sky or even Amazon picked it up. I try and forget the results for when I watch at Christmas but it's not the same.

I'm excited as I'm booked at giants live and Arnold's classic this year!!!

Completely agree. I wish bt or sky or even Amazon picked it up. I try and forget the results for when I watch at Christmas but it's not the same.

I'm excited as I'm booked at giants live and Arnold's classic this year!!!
TV coverage is a bit chicken and egg. Fans of sports always think that loads of people would watch their sport if it got more coverage, on the other hand TV companies want sports to prove that they have an audience before they put them on TV.

I've kicked the problem around in my head since the heats started and with them the traditional "why don't they stream it?" comments. The answers seem pretty straightforward to me:

- it's a TV production filmed over 4 long days, not a stage show like the Arnolds
- the heats would get really confusing
- it would cost them money
- it would devalue their main product (the TV show / rights)

The only answer that I could see would be PPV highlights, with an embargo on results until they are aired. Given that the rights owners are a big noise in the business of sport, I find it hard to believe that if it could be done profitably, it wouldn't have been by now.

The only answer that I could see would be PPV highlights
This could be a good avenue to go down - it's how Brian Shaw handled his show last year, put up a highlights show every night

I think they could easily stream it and not have it impact TV in the slightest - people who care enough to pay for a one-camera-static-shot of the events area are big enough fans that they'll watch on TV regardless

I'd wager the vast vast vast majority of TV viewers watch it because it's on/it's tradition rather than any real interest in the sport, and they're not going to be put off by accidentally seeing the results beforehand or whatever (hell the results are everywhere, so it's not that they're trying to keep the winner secret until Christmas).

There's definitely a market for it - Big Loz Shahlaei's live stream of him reading out text messages of results that he was being fed from someone at the show had 20k viewers

- the heats would get really confusing
How?
Easy enough to just show standings - happens with every other strength show, and happens every year with WSM with the coveted live spreadsheet

This could be a good avenue to go down - it's how Brian Shaw handled his show last year, put up a highlights show every night

I think they could easily stream it and not have it impact TV in the slightest - people who care enough to pay for a one-camera-static-shot of the events area are big enough fans that they'll watch on TV regardless

I'd wager the vast vast vast majority of TV viewers watch it because it's on/it's tradition rather than any real interest in the sport, and they're not going to be put off by accidentally seeing the results beforehand or whatever (hell the results are everywhere, so it's not that they're trying to keep the winner secret until Christmas).

There's definitely a market for it - Big Loz Shahlaei's live stream of him reading out text messages of results that he was being fed from someone at the show had 20k viewers with WSM with the coveted live spreadsheet
I thought it peaked at 14k, but either way, I can't see anyone at IMG getting excited about a market this size when they already have a global audience of 200m (according to Matt Rhodes). I agree that a live stream / edited highlights wouldn't affect viewing figures, but even if an online broadcast could be made profitable, it would only have to damage the value of the broadcast rights very slightly in order to wipe out any profits and make the idea -EV. It seems clear that someone, somewhere along the line is very keen on exclusivity.

How?
Easy enough to just show standings - happens with every other strength show, and happens every year with WSM with the coveted live spreadsheet

I can't think of any other strength show that holds heats as part of the event. People are used to seeing heats edited to appear as separate events and may not even realise that all 5 run concurrently. Watching all 25 competitors perform three of the events before moving on to the next would not only make for a tedious spectacle, but would mean people having to be capable of keeping track of what's happening in all 5 groups at the same time, rather than following one at a time. On screen graphics would help, but it would still diminish the viewer experience versus watching one heat per day.

Last edited:
I can't think of any other strength show that holds heats as part of the event. People are used to seeing heats edited to appear as separate events and may not even realise that all 5 run concurrently. Watching all 25 competitors perform three of the events before moving on to the next would not only make for a tedious spectacle, but would mean people having to be capable of keeping track of what's happening in all 5 groups at the same time, rather than following one at a time. On screen graphics would help, but it would still diminish the viewer experience versus watching one heat per day.
You're thinking about this as a replacement/equivalent of the TV product, though - the people paying to watch a live stream aren't getting confused by the structure of heats etc.

Look I'm not saying it's going to happen, and I really don't give a **** about TV deals and who's got the final say etc. all I'm saying is it's ******** for the fans that it doesn't happen when there's clearly 10k+ who'd happily pay for it (believe the Shaw classic had in the region of 10k, and that's much smaller) and it'd be very simple to run from a technical POV

They don't even have to show it live, just a highlights package the day of the event in the evening would go a long way to get more people interested.

You're thinking about this as a replacement/equivalent of the TV product, though - the people paying to watch a live stream aren't getting confused by the

No, I'm not. I'm saying that abandoning the exclusivity of the TV product would devalue it by far more than any kind of live stream / highlights package could ever make up.

Look I'm not saying it's going to happen, and I really don't give a **** about TV deals and who's got the final say etc. all I'm saying is it's ******** for the fans that it doesn't happen when there's clearly 10k+ who'd happily pay for it (believe the Shaw classic had in the region of 10k, and that's much smaller) and it'd be very simple to run from a technical POV
You don't need to give a stars about TV deals, because you don't own the rights to the competition. I'm saying that IMG are a sports media company and that they do give a stars. It's only evenmorestars for "fans" who don't understand that this is a TV production, run to make money for the rights owners, not a sporting event in the traditional sense. Being blessed with that understanding, I've long since made my peace with waiting until it airs the same as I do with other TV programmes that I enjoy.

You can still live stream the event on youtube and also have a highlights package on TV. A lot of motorsport series do this now,.

The absolute depression of going to the gym these days. I'm 6kg heavier than December and my lifts are all down 10-15%. I only feel like I had one bad month in lockdown too, even then I'd be active at least three times a week.

The absolute depression of going to the gym these days. I'm 6kg heavier than December and my lifts are all down 10-15%. I only feel like I had one bad month in lockdown too, even then I'd be active at least three times a week.
What programme you running to get you back up to strength?

What programme you running to get you back up to strength?
5-3-1 on the core lifts with more dynamic/explosive supersets to fill out the session. I'll throw a more hypertrophy focused week in every third or fourth week from now on (only back two weeks). Should be a while before a reload is required.

Latest posts