• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Shame for you to miss watching him live, but in a sense I'm glad he was a no show as it left the door open for his brother who I was really pleased to see get the win. Comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke.

What was the gossip around the arena re: what went wrong with the log lift? Also, what was the inside line on Iron Bibby? Colin Bryce mentioned some sort of tragedy, but people in the Facebook comments seemed to think that he was on the way to the venue, but running late.

I think it might be my fault - not long before it cut out I thought to myself how much better than the stream from Manchester (the only other one I've paid for) it was! I can understand your frustration, I'll probably sign up for the next show, but might not bother again if there are further problems. Speaks volumes about the organisation that Colin Bryce missed the athletes meeting for his own show!
It was a shame but like you I thought it made it more open.

The log was odd, no one came close and even people who had got better in training didn't come close. Not sure why to be honest.

They did say Iron Bibby was on his way and I think I remember than saying that we wild attempt the lift later if he got their late which is odd if he was never on the way. Bryce said Iron B was stuck on the M25 which must have been a joke although I thought he was being serious.

Thanks. The log was weird, lots of competitors seemed to be struggling not to fall backwards after they made the clean. Presumably the log had been used plenty of times before, so it's hard to imagine that was the problem, which is why I was wondering about the floor. Matt Rhodes mentioned something about the getting in competitor's eyes and putting them off, but I don't see why that would make them stumble backwards.

I did wonder whether Luke Stoltman was better off just having his own performance to worry about rather than being at the comp with his brother. Obviously the way the log lift played out handed a pretty big advantage to him and Novikov, but it was still a good performance from him to beat Novikov.

Nothing will happen until a proper world strongman federation comes along and takes control of the sport, but I worry about the number of athletes who are flogging their bodies to death, in this instance Bish. If The Championship is the Wild West of rugby, strongman is the Wild West of strength sport and I fear that someone will suffer a serious injury by losing consciousness through exhaustion.

Thanks. The log was weird, lots of competitors seemed to be struggling not to fall backwards after they made the clean. Presumably the log had been used plenty of times before, so it's hard to imagine that was the problem, which is why I was wondering about the floor. Matt Rhodes mentioned something about the getting in competitor's eyes and putting them off, but I don't see why that would make them stumble backwards.

I did wonder whether Luke Stoltman was better off just having his own performance to worry about rather than being at the comp with his brother. Obviously the way the log lift played out handed a pretty big advantage to him and Novikov, but it was still a good performance from him to beat Novikov.

Nothing will happen until a proper world strongman federation comes along and takes control of the sport, but I worry about the number of athletes who are flogging their bodies to death, in this instance Bish. If The Championship is the Wild West of rugby, strongman is the Wild West of strength sport and I fear that someone will suffer a serious injury by losing consciousness through exhaustion.
Yeah I was gutted for Bish, he seemed to struggle at everything he did until he pulled out. He didn't seem right at all.

I think the lights might have affected balance but not sure why didn't wear sunglasses like others have done there.

WUS Dubai with the return of Kiels is on today. Livestream on the Rogue YouTube channel. The women will be starting around 1pm Irish/UK time and the men around 4pm.

About halfway through this very good so far. Terry Todd is such a key figure in development of modern 'strength culture'.

Was also a very good writer. His piece on Andre the Giant is very well known and one of my favourite articles.

I think I'm going to wave bye bye to squats

Warming up with 60kg today and something crunched real bad in my lower back, so I binned the rest of the workout after having Vietnam flashbacks to the sciatica I had last year - feels pretty stiff/awkward atm (oo er) but no crippling pain or anything
They've always been one of my favourite exercises but I feel like I'm playing a very dangerous game with them these days

Going to have to make the leg press my new best friend (literally only ever used it for single leg/assistance work in the past)

I think I'm going to wave bye bye to squats

Warming up with 60kg today and something crunched real bad in my lower back, so I binned the rest of the workout after having Vietnam flashbacks to the sciatica I had last year - feels pretty stiff/awkward atm (oo er) but no crippling pain or anything
They've always been one of my favourite exercises but I feel like I'm playing a very dangerous game with them these days

Going to have to make the leg press my new best friend (literally only ever used it for single leg/assistance work in the past)

That sucks. I suppose ultimately if you don't compete in anything where you have to squat there's no reason to keep doing it if it causes you pain. Do you have any idea what's causing it? Is there a certain point during the lift where the pain occurs?

I just had shoulder surgery and am now a close contact so will be out of the gym for a month at least and it'll be a while before I'm able to do proper upperbody stuff so not an ideal start to the new year.

That sucks. I suppose ultimately if you don't compete in anything where you have to squat there's no reason to keep doing it if it causes you pain. Do you have any idea what's causing it? Is there a certain point during the lift where the pain occurs?
Have a feeling i have a (partially) herniated disc from about a decade a go - every time my back kicks off it's always in the same spot (and it's not always been from squats, so not like it's a specific movement triggering it). Been to the doctor's a couple of times with it but they'd just give me anti-inflammatories for it as realistically it's pretty minor (bar one time last year)
Probably a bit of hip inflexibility as well - today it was right at the bottom of an ATG squat, so guessing my hips pulled my lower back out of synch or something

Like you say, though, I don't compete in powerlifting or anything/don't even do any sport that requires that kind of functional strength anymore so really it's only me liking squats that's kept me coming back

Have a feeling i have a (partially) herniated disc from about a decade a go - every time my back kicks off it's always in the same spot (and it's not always been from squats, so not like it's a specific movement triggering it). Been to the doctor's a couple of times with it but they'd just give me anti-inflammatories for it as realistically it's pretty minor (bar one time last year)
Probably a bit of hip inflexibility as well - today it was right at the bottom of an ATG squat, so guessing my hips pulled my lower back out of synch or something

Like you say, though, I don't compete in powerlifting or anything/don't even do any sport that requires that kind of functional strength anymore so really it's only me liking squats that's kept me coming back

Yeah fair enough. Probably not worth the effort it would require to get back to where you want to be. If you still have the itch to do something close why not try box squats to a comfortable height? Could keep them low rep and really focus on your brace so issues are less likely to pop up.

I guess it depends on the machine, but AFAIK, they can place a lot of pressure on the lower back too. In your position I'd consider buying a hip belt. Ironmind do one, but unfortunately, Pullum Sports will gouge you on price. I'd imagine there are other options out there these days.

I guess it depends on the machine, but AFAIK, they can place a lot of pressure on the lower back too. In your position I'd consider buying a hip belt. Ironmind do one, but unfortunately, Pullum Sports will gouge you on price. I'd imagine there are other options out there these days.
Really want to try a belt squat - the guy who owns my gym has two other gyms in the area, guess which of the three is the only one without a belt squat <_<

I'll have a little play on the different machines they've got next week and see which tickles my fancy (there's three variations of leg press, a linear hack squad and one that I'm not sure if it's pendulum or just a beefy hack squat) - might just switch it up completely and do walking lunges or some **** instead
It's a brave new world venturing out from low rep barbell work

Really want to try a belt squat - the guy who owns my gym has two other gyms in the area, guess which of the three is the only one without a belt squat <_<

I'll have a little play on the different machines they've got next week and see which tickles my fancy (there's three variations of leg press, a linear hack squad and one that I'm not sure if it's pendulum or just a beefy hack squat) - might just switch it up completely and do walking lunges or some **** instead
It's a brave new world venturing out from low rep barbell work
I have back problems with my previously crushed discs in my lower back. For legs, heavy leg press still hurts my back but heavy hack squats don't.

So I do a heavy hack squat exercise then a very high rep leg press.

Something that really helped me as well (and thanks to Mr Meadows RIP) is to always start leg day with hamstring curls, 3 sets of that and any compound leg exercise feels a lot easier. I'm guessing this is due to a stiff lower back and right hamstrings but it helps me massively.

I do miss squatting but if you don't need to then there are plenty of other things out there.

Something that really helped me as well (and thanks to Mr Meadows RIP) is to always start leg day with hamstring curls, 3 sets of that and any compound leg exercise feels a lot easier. I'm guessing this is due to a stiff lower back and right hamstrings but it helps me massively.
Good shout!
I think I'd read something about that before, or maybe seen someone on social media who does hamstrings before quads

Slightly off topic, but got an email today from my protein with 70% off, had a quick look at the 5kg bags of impact whey protein that usually cost £82ish and they are now showing as £142!!!!

So with the sale they are about the original price. I've noticed bulk powders have done the same.

I've emailed to complain, but just thought I'd put it in here as at a guess a lot of you use protein.

The Arnold starts tonight with the max squat. Martins is the strong favourite with Kiels dropping out. Hoping Novikov shows up well incredibly tough situation given what's going on at home. Hope nothing kicks of between him and Markov. I know Novikov has said he can't be friends with Shiv anymore but by the sounds of it that's a bit different.

Hell of an impressive performance in the squat from Caron and similar from Novikov in the dumbell, albeit without Kieliszkowski to push him.

It's a shame that the frame carry will almost certainly cost Kearney any chance of the win, but it's very much the way with this contest that any weakness gets cruelly exposed (see the Stoltmen). You'd still have to put Licis as favourite, only a point behind Novikov, but Novikov will push him all the way IMO. There's not a lot to chose between them in the log; the form book says Novikov won't do so well in the frame carry, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll do better than last time out; the stone is the x-factor, Licis is a good stone lifter, but Novikov has a good record of adapting well to new events. Hard to see anyone else troubling them for the top two spots.

Hell of an impressive performance in the squat from Caron and similar from Novikov in the dumbell, albeit without Kieliszkowski to push him.

It's a shame that the frame carry will almost certainly cost Kearney any chance of the win, but it's very much the way with this contest that any weakness gets cruelly exposed (see the Stoltmen). You'd still have to put Licis as favourite, only a point behind Novikov, but Novikov will push him all the way IMO. There's not a lot to chose between them in the log; the form book says Novikov won't do so well in the frame carry, but I'd say there's a good chance he'll do better than last time out; the stone is the x-factor, Licis is a good stone lifter, but Novikov has a good record of adapting well to new events. Hard to see anyone else troubling them for the top two spots.

Novikov on the dumbell is just a joy to watch. He's so explosive and his technique is perfect every time.

I can see Licis winning and Novikov and Kearney fighting for 2 and 3. As you say Kearney is probably going to do poorly with the frame. Last time he couldn't even pick it up. He should be top 3/4 on the log even with his recovery issues and do OK on the stone.

As usual injuries could decide a lot. Don't think any drop outs have been announced but would expect Caron and Luke to be hurt by their respective injuries.

As usual injuries could decide a lot. Don't think any drop outs have been announced but would expect Caron and Luke to be hurt by their respective injuries.
What was Stoltman's injury? I caught up with the coverage at stupid o'clock this morning, so I skipped through the coverage and just watched the lifts without listening to any of the studio chat. I didn't pick up on anything in the bits I saw. Having listened to him and / or his coach talking about tactics in weight selection, it was ironic to see him cost himself a hat full of points overreaching in his third lift and failing it by a pretty fine margin.

Caron's injury is likely to cost him enough in the log to ruin his chance of a podium.

Latest posts