• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Good luck with the wheel of pain, if that's true

Can they skip events or do they have to drop out completely?
I know Brian wants the US log press record but he really shouldn't even look at the wheel with a bad hammy

I believe they can skip events. I'd be doubtful of Shaw doing that unless he properly can't walk. He's not the only one with a hamstring either, the elephant bar claimed a few of them.

Really shitty for the guy who was the alternate because Caron attempted one deadlift he can't be subbed in despite Caron essentially being a non-participant.

Shaw confirms he did something to his hamstring on the third deadlift attempt. Interesting that he doesn't think a hamstring injury doesn't impact the Wheel of Pain too much.

Novikov going with the scrummaging technique on the Wheel of Pain, love it.

EDIT: The Wheel of Pain living up to its name guys collapsing after it.

Last edited:
Would love to see a prop have a crack at it

Surprised to see Thor essentially die under it,
Wtf is that guy who won the Husafell made of? He just non-chalantly walked off after his turn

Edit:
So frustrating that shaw is injured, his first rep on the oak was so easy but then you could see his hamstring twang on the 2nd

Last edited:
Anyone watched 'Sarmageddon' on Mark Bell's Youtube channel? It's really annoyed me, it's not a channel I normally follow but they do get a lot of top lifters on it so there's usually some decent advice in there, so far this 'documentary' is full of bad info at basically just an ad for the products of one guy.

The main guy (Andrew Zaragoza) classifies himself as a hardgainer and says he really struggles with all his lifts so as he is terrified of needles he's going to do SARMs. He admits he's never followed any diet so it's no ******* wonder he can't gain any weight, CICO will work for anyone. He also got blood work done and it's not something like low T. He benches and squats two plates and can nearly deadlift three for his maxes at a bodyweight of around 80kg yet does a load of conjugate ****. He seems to have no real consistent plan for what he's doing and pretty much epitomises: have you tried trying?

All of the above I wouldn't really have a problem with. It's his body, he's not hurting anyone else he can do what he wants. My problem mostly comes from the third episode, which is nine minutes longer than the next longest one. In it Zaragoza talks with Dr Tony Huge (who is not a doctor and is a conman) about what he'll be taking. All are produced by a company Huge is associated with and the majority aren't even SARMs. With all of the products he makes a huge number of unsubstantiated claims which is hugely irresponsible. The episode is essentially an ad for his product and provides no real balance to the discussion. It's terrible for the impressionable who may be watching it and just plain terrible documentary film making.

I watched it because there's so little information about SARMs out there and even though I've no intention of ever taking them I'm still curious but I have not been enlightened one bit by what has been posted so far. Sorry for the rant, needed a bit of a moan.

As someone who'd probably eventually do at least one cycle of gear if someone I trusted did all the work to put me on a cycle that was as safe as you could expect (which is massively unlikely tbh, I don't really know anyone who has juiced) I don't understand why you'd ever do sarms, they seem fair dodgy and massively ineffective when not supplementing gear. At best their effects are unknown.

YouTube is just a terrible starting point to learn anything about fitness too unless you're lucky enough to find one of the few good pages. (I can only think of one with a huge amount of subs that I'd recommend to a novice)

As someone who'd probably eventually do at least one cycle of gear if someone I trusted did all the work to put me on a cycle that was as safe as you could expect (which is massively unlikely tbh, I don't really know anyone who has juiced) I don't understand why you'd ever do sarms, they seem fair dodgy and massively ineffective when not supplementing gear. At best their effects are unknown.

YouTube is just a terrible starting point to learn anything about fitness too unless you're lucky enough to find one of the few good pages. (I can only think of one with a huge amount of subs that I'd recommend to a novice)

The problem is how new they are, there's a huge amount of misinformation out there which allows those wanting to make quick money gains to do so. A lot of people are drawn by the idea of them not having to inject themselves and the fact that SARMs are legal, at least in the state. Then you have the people making claims with little to no evidence that they have all of the benefits of roids without any of the side effects. Unfortunately there's a lot of people who don't seem to realise if something sounds too good to be true it rarely is.

Youtube is so hit and miss. A huge amount of beginners seem to gravitate to channels like Athlean-X and become terrified of any exercise causing injury. Often all you need to be is somewhat lean to gain a load of followers and it's often best to have good but not super big lifts as that would be too intimidating. Like it says a lot that Omar Isuf and Alan Thrall would be two of the better channels beginners gravitate towards when they have a lot of their own problems.

Anyway, going for that four plate skwaat tomorrow. Should have had it a few weeks ago if not for a cold. Reckon a Chinese tonight is proper fuel for it.

anyone here have success with olympic lifts?

I had hip surgery last October and am back to running and lifting. Slowly working my way back to reffing. My hip flexibility isn't great (both hips have been repaired) and shoulder is kinda ****** from baseball. Clean and jerk isn't really a problem but snatch I'm struggling with mobility of hips and shoulders.

Do you have any tips for working on catching the bar in deep squat other than just work on stretching?

Stoltman brothers have joined the YouTube hype
We really are in a golden era of strongman YouTube content - between Shaw, Martins, Jujimufu (+ the occasional Thor/Hall/Wheels vids) and now the stoltmans I don't have time to watch anything else

Good to see them following Juji and Larry Wheels and utilising new media this way - strongman is a bit in the dark ages and this is a great way to increase popularity.

Crazy that WSM is already done and dusted but won't be televised until Christmas - I get that it's tradition and that but at least do a PPV live stream or something. Those that enjoy the sport will already know the winner by Christmas and those that just watch it at Christmas for a laugh won't care about being spoiled/bother to look it up

Stoltman brothers have joined the YouTube hype
We really are in a golden era of strongman YouTube content - between Shaw, Martins, Jujimufu (+ the occasional Thor/Hall/Wheels vids) and now the stoltmans I don't have time to watch anything else

Good to see them following Juji and Larry Wheels and utilising new media this way - strongman is a bit in the dark ages and this is a great way to increase popularity.

Crazy that WSM is already done and dusted but won't be televised until Christmas - I get that it's tradition and that but at least do a PPV live stream or something. Those that enjoy the sport will already know the winner by Christmas and those that just watch it at Christmas for a laugh won't care about being spoiled/bother to look it up

The only youtuber I'd say I consistently watch is Brian Alsruhe so much of what he's about is very similar to where I want to be. I do also watch a certain amount of Uncle Nic, Stefi Cohen and Juji though. It is definitely great that there's more of them getting on the Youtube train. It's really cool seeing all the different approaches to training etc even if I do feel some like Shaw tend to stretch out their videos too much!

The WSM thing is stupid. It made Shaw's video's during it very weird as all he could show was his warm ups. Although I did see a bit of a video from Juji today where he showed some of the actual events in the heats at least so don't know what the story is there.

The remote for appletv or my phone, 6 or 7 sets of 3-4 reps a day, the amp remote for one or two reps. Thats my high intensity interval training .
A do a bigger workout once a week just for strength; it involves lifting my arse off the sofa then several reps of dishes of different sorts.

The remote for appletv or my phone, 6 or 7 sets of 3-4 reps a day, the amp remote for one or two reps. Thats my high intensity interval training .
A do a bigger workout once a week just for strength; it involves lifting my arse off the sofa then several reps of dishes of different sorts.

You wanna calm down bud!

The WSM thing is stupid. It made Shaw's video's during it very weird as all he could show was his warm ups. Although I did see a bit of a video from Juji today where he showed some of the actual events in the heats at least so don't know what the story is there.
Accredited people weren't allowed to spoil anything before it was televised in the USA, they had to sign NDAs - Juji was there as a fan so could post clips (though didn't post everything as he knew the competitors have channels and were going to post stuff afterwards).

Juji's video for the heats and then Martins Licis latest video for the finals is the best way to view the majority of the event/see some good behind the scenes stuff.
Was surprised to see them wearing suits for the deadlifts and squats.

Accredited people weren't allowed to spoil anything before it was televised in the USA, they had to sign NDAs - Juji was there as a fan so could post clips (though didn't post everything as he knew the competitors have channels and were going to post stuff afterwards).

Juji's video for the heats and then Martins Licis latest video for the finals is the best way to view the majority of the event/see some good behind the scenes stuff.
Was surprised to see them wearing suits for the deadlifts and squats.

Ah right makes sense.

I'd have thought the suits were fairly common? Hall's 500kg pull was in one and I know they were allowed use them at USS Nationals even if not everyone uses them. I don't know if I'll ever get to try any equipped lifting but it's really interesting to me. There's a guy on my team who used to do it and it seems you have to be fairly mad to really get into it. It's possibly more technique focused than raw lifting but half of it is not being afraid of the ridiculous weight you have in your hands or on your back. I was listening to an interview with Natalie Hansen (the Stronger by Science podcast which is a great listen for anyone who loves lifting and sarcasm) who broke the single ply bench record in the 84s with 202.5 which is insane but I was surprised to learn how variable the results of a deadlift suit are. She said her deadlift is actually sometimes a few kgs worse than her raw deads.

Can't remember who said it, might have been Licis, but someone said a properly fitted deadlift suit added 20kg to their pull instantly

I'm not surprised to see strongmen using equipment (I know Hall did for his record, and many others do in training and comps) I was just surprised to see them at WSM - always just presumed it was belts and wraps for them - I guess having to wear the branded t shirts hides what they're wearing underneath

With everyone dropping like flies Giants this weekend has lost a bit of sheen. Don't get me wrong there's still a lot of top guys competing bit noone who will even come close to attempting the 501 (I know Shaw and Benedikt Magnusson were going to attempt but both had to drop out with injury)

440kg was the highest dead at Wembley, with a few failing 455

Can hear Eddie Hall's grin from here - no one's coming close for a few years yet

Latest posts