• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Anyone watch Westside vs the World? It's up on Netflix now. Focuses mainly on the personalities with the lifting more in the background. Really interesting documentary overall with some insane personalities. Probably some elements of playing to the camera but definitely lived up to the 'hardcore' image. Was really surprising to me that the general manager of the gym is an Irish guy who went to WIT. Very rare to find any Irish involvement in strength sports and here's one running possibly the most famous gym in the world. Does make me want to go and buy some chains to use in training now.

Anyone watch Westside vs the World? It's up on Netflix now. Focuses mainly on the personalities with the lifting more in the background. Really interesting documentary overall with some insane personalities. Probably some elements of playing to the camera but definitely lived up to the 'hardcore' image. Was really surprising to me that the general manager of the gym is an Irish guy who went to WIT. Very rare to find any Irish involvement in strength sports and here's one running possibly the most famous gym in the world. Does make me want to go and buy some chains to use in training now.

It was alright, the Irish guy's only been involved in the last few years afaik.
Avoid the chains, buy some bands.

Rickey Dale Crain is a dick, but he did give some advice about how to get a decent leg workout out of a leg extension machine!

Got the all clear to get back lifting after ******* my back up at BJJ and I've put on 1.5stone in the time off
137593505136.jpg

Just gonna tell myself it was a dirty bulk

Hadn't realised Adam Bishop is Quins' S&C coach, handy enough guy to have.

Sinckler 'only' deadlifting 270kg is a bit lower than I was expecting even with most rugby players typical max lifts. You'd wonder how much of it is due to technical proficiency and lack of peaking for it.

Players don't shift much weight during the season - Mujati complained about in one of his old videos, said he only got to lift heavy when he was at home, when he was at the club it was a real basic weights session followed by CrossFit style circuits session, and that's it.

I also think that there's surprisingly little emphasis placed on deadlifts by most top flight clubs. From speaking to some of the Swansea players who have contracts with the Ospreys and Scarlets, they've said that in their club gym sessions, lower body strength is built almost solely through squat variations and generally if they do deadlift, it'll be done on a hex bar rather than a straight bar. So some of the lack of DL strength will simply be because they don't DL that often.

There was a bunch of "controversy" recently when Robert Oberst said deadlifts are pointless for an athlete and should only really be used for getting better at deadlift.
Said cleans were way better, and then get your big strength from your squats.

Hex bar is way more popular than straight in the sports world - seeing zercher squats a load more now too. Think people are scared of the back injuries.

Yeah there's definitely a certain amount of fear mongering about deadlifts, not helped by Oberst spoofing on the biggest podcast in the world. Even Jim Wendler has his HS kids do Trap Bar because parents were up in arms about barbell deadlifts.

Still with Bishop as coach you'd presume Quins have it as a regular part of their programme and of course his max wouldn't have been done in season.

A speed coach who works with nfl prospects claims that the hex bar is the best way to improve speed. It loads the most amount of weight on the quads he says.

I want to try the zercher deadlift just to see what's different about it.

I do agree that cleans>deadlift but it's not like cleans are real easy to teach.

A speed coach who works with nfl prospects claims that the hex bar is the best way to improve speed. It loads the most amount of weight on the quads he says.

I want to try the zercher deadlift just to see what's different about it.

I do agree that cleans>deadlift but it's not like cleans are real easy to teach.
TBH if a pro S&C coach can't teach a full time professional rugby player how to clean then they're probably in the wrong job.

Loads of coaches say the deadlift is a poor muscle development tool and recommend other exercises. Personally I think that RDLs are way better for posterior chain development.

Loads of coaches say the deadlift is a poor muscle development tool and recommend other exercises. Personally I think that RDLs are way better for posterior chain development.

The deadlift probably hits the most muscles at once of any one exercise so I wouldn't say it's a poor muscle development tool. No one exercise is an absolute must and there will always be someone who shouldn't do a particular exercise. However there's good reason the deadlift is one of the 'big four' and part of most reputable strength and hypertrophy programmes.

Why do you feel RDLs hit the posterior chain better? I think they're great for targeting the hamstrings but would personally have them behind a few exercises for the posterior chain.

Last edited:
The deadlift probably hits the most muscles at once of any one exercise so I wouldn't say it's a poor muscle development tool. No one exercise is an absolute must and there will always be someone who shouldn't do a particular exercise. However there's good reason the deadlift is one of the 'big four' and part of most reputable strength and hypertrophy programmes.

Why do you feel RDLs hit the posterior chain better? I think they're great for targeting the hamstrings but would personally have them behind a few exercises for the posterior chain.

Not to argue but your logic doesn't work. The bench is one of the big 4 and that is very poor for chest development, if you look at the studies of chest muscle recruitment bench is low down the list (when compared to Incline DB press for example). Although it feels great to shift a ton of weight on bench press.

As for deadlifts, it provides very little lat and upper back recruitment and does provide the range of motion you get from RDLs.

All this is what I've read from others by the way so I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert. For me though RDLs emphasise the best 'feeling' part of the deadlift really focusing on the hinge and hamstring lengthening. I used to have them as my back exercise in the big 4 but moved on mainly due to back issues.

I'll see if I can find the studies in T-nation and link them when I'm on the train this morning.

I've started adding a bunch more volume to my lifts since I stopped doing sports/****** my back

Took 40% off my top working set of squats then did it for 3*12 and let me tell you: I've never been so close to tears becaus of a workout in my life

Thor pulled 480kg in the gym, absolutely crazy. It looked tough but given how he's peaked for competition under Sebastian Oreb he probably has even more in him. His double at 455kg a week ago was stupidly easy.

Also been watching some of Jamal Browner's deadlifts since he broke the WR in the 110kg class. His deadlift and Maddox's bench are two of the most explosive WRs I've ever seen.

Not to argue but your logic doesn't work. The bench is one of the big 4 and that is very poor for chest development, if you look at the studies of chest muscle recruitment bench is low down the list (when compared to Incline DB press for example). Although it feels great to shift a ton of weight on bench press.

As for deadlifts, it provides very little lat and upper back recruitment and does provide the range of motion you get from RDLs.

All this is what I've read from others by the way so I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert. For me though RDLs emphasise the best 'feeling' part of the deadlift really focusing on the hinge and hamstring lengthening. I used to have them as my back exercise in the big 4 but moved on mainly due to back issues.

I'll see if I can find the studies in T-nation and link them when I'm on the train this morning.

I think my logic is fine since it was never about developing one muscle. Of course like every single exercise you need other exercises in concert to fully develop the muscle with regard to hypertrophy. Still the bench press also develops the triceps and the anterior delts as a compound movement with the ability to have a greater load through a fuller range of motion than most other variants. I agree bench is probably the stupidest of the big four though.

Do you have a source on the lack of upper back or lat development for deadlifts? Can't recall ever seeing a strong deadlifter with small traps.

Aye that looked a piece of **** tbf, is it the same type of bar?
That 500 will topple soon.

Usually deadlifting is a shorter guys game but Thor just doesn't give a ****

Latest posts