• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

Aye that looked a piece of **** tbf, is it the same type of bar?
That 500 will topple soon.

Usually deadlifting is a shorter guys game but Thor just doesn't give a ****

The same type as bar as the elephant bar or the one Eddie pulled 500 on? As far as I know it's actually neither. Rogue won't sell anyone the elephant bar so the top guys try and get approximations so basically it is a variant of an elephant bar.

Also the height thing is kind of funny. Like it makes more sense that the shorter you are the easier the deadlift should be and obviously Ed Coan was a bit of a poster boy for that but as far as I know pretty much everyone who's pulled 1000 pounds is over 6' if not 6'2" presumably because they're the ones who can pack on enough muscle to generate the requisite force. Obviously being 6'9" is a bit different as well but there's even lanky lads like Cailer Woolam who are just pulling mad weights.

The one Eddie pulled on is the one I'm thinking of - presume he'll go for that at some point otherwise he'll always have "yeah but Hall still holds THIS record"

The one Eddie pulled on is the one I'm thinking of - presume he'll go for that at some point otherwise he'll always have "yeah but Hall still holds THIS record"

Ok yeah it wasn't a straight bar. I think he plans on doing Hall's with a suit and figure 8 straps which are the exact circumstances of Hall's. The problem (other than it being a really hard thing to do) is that it might not be on the event list anytime soon as there's a but of a pushback against there being so many max deadlift events in the last few years. But I'd say with the way Eddie has being going on recently Thor really wants to do it. There is also the fact they're meant to have a boxing match next year which will be... interesting.

Yeah I heard about that - doesn't exactly interest me.
Seen videos of Hall hitting pads and it's dire - throw in the height/reach distance and the fact they'll both gas out in 30 seconds and it'll be a **** show.

I was under the impression that the world deadlift championships were an annual thing now? But I guess they're part of another show so depends if he goes to that.

Seen Eddie hall is trying to break records in other sports now - doing a CrossFit one soon, 30 x 60kg clean and jerk for time. The clip he posted might as well have been a broom handle, takes zero effort to get it up

At 6'3" I've found deadlifting to be the easiest of the powerlifting lifts. My range of motion for conversation deadlifts is only a couple inches than a stiff leg deadlift so I only need to worry about glutes and backs.

it might be that tall guys just deadlift more often cause squatting and pressing is so muncher harder.

I'd say deadlifts are a trap builder. I've been oly lifting exclusively for awhile now (so I pull 4 days a week) and my traps are the only part of my upper body that have developed.

At 6'3" I've found deadlifting to be the easiest of the powerlifting lifts. My range of motion for conversation deadlifts is only a couple inches than a stiff leg deadlift so I only need to worry about glutes and backs.

it might be that tall guys just deadlift more often cause squatting and pressing is so muncher harder.

I'd say deadlifts are a trap builder. I've been oly lifting exclusively for awhile now (so I pull 4 days a week) and my traps are the only part of my upper body that have developed.

Oh, to be young again. I'll be 60 in April and use 50 pound dumb bells. I can do a lot of different lifts with them, but my glory days are gone. Not that I really had any. :D

Thor pulled 480kg in the gym, absolutely crazy. It looked tough but given how he's peaked for competition under Sebastian Oreb he probably has even more in him. His double at 455kg a week ago was stupidly easy.

Also been watching some of Jamal Browner's deadlifts since he broke the WR in the 110kg class. His deadlift and Maddox's bench are two of the most explosive WRs I've ever seen.

I think my logic is fine since it was never about developing one muscle. Of course like every single exercise you need other exercises in concert to fully develop the muscle with regard to hypertrophy. Still the bench press also develops the triceps and the anterior delts as a compound movement with the ability to have a greater load through a fuller range of motion than most other variants. I agree bench is probably the stupidest of the big four though.

Do you have a source on the lack of upper back or lat development for deadlifts? Can't recall ever seeing a strong deadlifter with small traps.

I can't find the exact article but there's actually a lot more than I remember online now about this. Don't get me wrong I actually used to love deadlifting (until my back exploded) but there are better alternatives for specific things like building mass, especially for how draining it is when you really push yourself.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/big-3-lifts-suck-for-size-gains

Over the past year I've been experimenting with lots of different programmes to find what works best and from going on a journey speaking to a lot of people and coaches online I've come to three conclusions.

1. diet is important but not on its own
2. Different training programmes will work for different people as long as they are executed with intensity
3. Locks don't work in the back row (lol)

I've tried full body, upper lower, PPL, 4 day and 5 day splits.

Thor officially going for the 501(+? Whiteboard in his gym said 507) at WUS Bahrain - suit, figure 8s, the lot

Thor tops out at 465
Guess he's saving himself for the event in the middle East

Thor tops out at 465
Guess he's saving himself for the event in the middle East

Didn't even have to do his third attempt, he's so far ahead of everyone else in deadlift and bag over bar. Think the Wheel of Pain the day before really destroyed everyone's legs for the deadlift.

Mad that Kiels can win 4 of 6 events and not be the overall winner. His deadlift is costing him so much money.

Hafthor going for the 501kg May 2nd...in front of 20 people. Weird world we're living in.

Got my first band workout in today doing the push work out from the PPL John Meadows put up on YouTube. Wouldn't expect gains but hopeful of maintenance and it's nice to have a change of focus in what I lift for.

Lotta social media BS between hall and thor

Hall saying Thor will cheat/the record can't he legit if he just does it at home
Thor saying WSM cheated to give Hall the win in 17

All mega childish but it's keeping me entertained

Lotta social media BS between hall and thor

Hall saying Thor will cheat/the record can't he legit if he just does it at home
Thor saying WSM cheated to give Hall the win in 17

All mega childish but it's keeping me entertained

In fairness this is the first time I've seen Thor doing anything about this. Hall has been going on so long like this, you only have to look at somewhere like r/strongman to see how many fans he's lost over this. It's clear the 500kg deadlift is a huge part of his identity and he'd hate anyone breaking it but Thor especially is someone he despises. Saying stuff like he doesn't trust 'the Icelandics' and that doing 501kg isn't breaking it properly, when that's exactly what Hall did when he broke it, is just sad really. When asked about Thor maybe breaking it on the Elephant Bar Eddie said it wouldn't count (which mostly fair enough they're different lifts) but now Thor's going for it in the same set up Hall did it in he has to find something wrong with it. Hall used to say he'd be the first to shake whoever broke it's hand, but that is clearly the farthest thing from the truth.

Tbf Thor was an arrogan bellend when he came on the scene, and an alleged wife basher - he wasn't liked by anyone but the other Icelandic guys for a while.
He definitely looks a much better person now - mellowed out massively since the GoT stuff went to his head, but he's definitely seems to have a mean streak.

Hall looks a right twat though - he's built the myth of 500kg up too much. All the hypnosis and almost dying etc etc
If/when Thor lifts it like any other PR he's gonna look a right mug, and he's terrified of that happening.

Has anyone else found that all the advice you get from Instagram saying you don't have to train core to get good abs is a load of shite this lockdown? Started training core due to all of the time I've had and I'm regretting my entire life until this point. (Same with arms to a lesser extent)

Also used the time to delete basically everyone I follow from the "fitness industry". And I've started following some English lad in Oz called James Smith, nothing revolutionary but absolutely no bullshit with him.

My resistance bands should arrive tomorrow and these chair exercises have kept me going this past week. It's super easy to lay some stuff on the chair to add weight if needed.

Has anyone else found that all the advice you get from Instagram saying you don't have to train core to get good abs is a load of shite this lockdown? Started training core due to all of the time I've had and I'm regretting my entire life until this point. (Same with arms to a lesser extent)

Also used the time to delete basically everyone I follow from the "fitness industry". And I've started following some English lad in Oz called James Smith, nothing revolutionary but absolutely no bullshit with him.

I just watched this guy. He's like the Gordon Ramsay of PT! Every second word is a C or F bomb!

Tbf Thor was an arrogan bellend when he came on the scene, and an alleged wife basher - he wasn't liked by anyone but the other Icelandic guys for a while.
He definitely looks a much better person now - mellowed out massively since the GoT stuff went to his head, but he's definitely seems to have a mean streak.

Hall looks a right twat though - he's built the myth of 500kg up too much. All the hypnosis and almost dying etc etc
If/when Thor lifts it like any other PR he's gonna look a right mug, and he's terrified of that happening.

Yeah Thor definitely had attitude problems up until around arguably his first big win and arguably when he became more confident in his English. I hadn't heard about the alleged wife bashing before though.

I don't think its completely wrong. If your bodyfat is above a certain level it doesn't matter how great your abs are, non one will see them. It's unfortunate that most 'influencers' don't like to use nuance because yeah abs (usually) become visibly due to diet but unless you've got great insertions/genetics its no harm to do an ab circuit every now and then. Although if you see the crap questions these guys get asked it is somewhat understandable why they tend to speak in absolutes.

I definitely have a load of people I follow who I should cull. In terms of those worth following for advice and not just seeing cool lifts I think its: Brian Alsruhe, Greg Nuckols, Eric Trexler, Eric Helms, Dave Tate, John Meadows, Calgary Barbell (Bryce Krawcyk), Australian Strength Coach (Sebastian Oreb) and be_more_nutrition (Richie Kirwan).

Still doing John Meadows banded PPL and banded Bulgarian split squats with an iso hold or ******* cruel.
Also started couch to 5k.

Latest posts