• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

I don't think its completely wrong. If your bodyfat is above a certain level it doesn't matter how great your abs are, non one will see them. It's unfortunate that most 'influencers' don't like to use nuance because yeah abs (usually) become visibly due to diet but unless you've got great insertions/genetics its no harm to do an ab circuit every now and then. Although if you see the crap questions these guys get asked it is somewhat understandable why they tend to speak in absolutes.
I think their motive is to gain more followers by telling people they don't have to do the more boring and painful parts of a workout. Fact is that 99% of the time the guy who's at x% bodyfat and doesn't train core is going to have worse abs than someone with the same bodyfat who does an ab circuit three times every two weeks.

I do accept your point about absolutes though, getting asked "what exercises will give me a 6pack" by some fat lad 10 times a day is going to make you more likely to preach anecdotes as gospel.

I just watched this guy. He's like the Gordon Ramsay of PT! Every second word is a C or F bomb!
Yeah, I listened to his book this weekend too. I doubt it'll make anyone serious about their fitness change their routine or diet massively but he explains the science/biology behind basically any aspect of training/eating you can think of very well. It'll definitely increase your focus on certain obvious things you can do to improve performance or results and he's entertaining too.

There is lots of advice out there's so so generic it makes it useless.

Like, do you need to train arms directly to get big arms?

Some people can get by with compound lifts and will get larger than normal arms, but people with long limbs will almost definitely have to train them directly.

I like reading about core training (as I've still got a weak core from my back injuries) but the amount of conflicting advice is crazy,

You need direct ab training,
You don't need direct ab training
You need to do it every day
Once a week
3 times a week
Planks only no rotation
No spinal flexation

It's crazy to really know what to do but as I enjoy lots of alcohol on a weekly basis my abs can stay firmly hidden behind my fun weekends.

501 attempt is now gonna be live on ESPN - that's huge

I don't like the ethics of it but the money the UAE can put in is crazy.

Big Z being ref gives some more legitimacy as well.

Also Luke Richardson has said he's hoping to get up to a 470-480kg deadlift by the end of the year...at 23, madness.

Didn't Eddie Hall get to use his own bar for his 500 and also got to dictate all the rest periods for the lifts?
Makes me think that the ethics for Thor are fine and Hall seems to be talking a lot of rubbish at the moment.

Didn't Eddie Hall get to use his own bar
Technically yes, but it sounds worse when put like that.
They used an okie deadlift bar for the event, and Eddie bought one to train on when it was announced (everyone else could do the same) - he took it to the event to warm up with backstage but when he got there they just used his on stage and the Giants owned one backstage (instead of a regular barbell).
It's not like it was a custom made bar or anything.

The timings were definitely based around when Eddie wanted to lift, though, and Benni and Pritchett both had to wait around an age for their attempts as a result.

The only argument Eddie could have is if this was planned all along - facts are Thor announced this a while ago and CovID cancelled the event. Not like the lockdown was announced and suddenly Thor said "Oh wait, I'm gonna pull 501 in my home gym".
Pulling something this heavy is, potentially, a once in a lifetime thing - he'll have built his training and "supplement" cycles around this for an age, it's not like they can just say they'll do it in a few months.

It's funny because Eddie has screwed himself over here - he should have waited until after to kick off and call it unofficial. All he's done now is give them time to get proper judges in, weigh all the equipment, get a massive (virtual) stage/audience.

Really wish they didn't have the chat overlay on the screen - so much retard juice in there, especially when Runar is lifting sumo

It's honestly hilarious how big Thor is, the bar looks like a toy in his hands.
400kg moving like 100kg - he's going to crush this record.

Really wish they didn't have the chat overlay on the screen - so much retard juice in there, especially when Runar is lifting sumo

Yeah livechats are the first thing I get rid of watching any livestream.

That 400 moved super easy.

440 a joke n all,
Crazy that that's technically a PR - which he's (probably) gonna break by 30kg in 15mins

Edit: Or is it? They said a minute ago that 440 on a DL bar is a PR, but just then said he's done 440x3 - unless that was elephant?

Double Edit: 470 ez

Last edited:
Kinda wish Thor's coach was a bit more reckless - he's said they're 100% not going above the 501 despite their training theoretically peaking way above it, because this might be their only opportunity and you don't wanna risk a 50/50 when you know you've got the record in the bag.

Bbbuuuttt I wanna see how high he can go, because I reckon 501 is gonna look a piece of ****.

Edit: apparently Thor gets four not three lifts (I guess like in powerlifting comps where you get a 4th if you're going for a record).
He's said if he gets 200k followers on twitch he'll YOLO his 4th and pull 520.
Probably joking but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for 510 (a video a few months ago had 507KG as his target)

Thor's 501kg potentially 520kg deadlift is today for anyone interested. It's at five and is being livestreamed for free on Rogue's YouTube channel, Core Sports and Thor's Twitch. It's also available on ESPN if you're American.

17:00 if you're in Ireland or the UK.

Interested to see the format of it considering it's being televised - he's got 3-4 attempts (3rd being 501, and can go for a 4th to break the record again if he chooses) and up to 15 (I think?) mins allowed between lifts.
When he streams his training sessions his Mrs and his training partners answer twitch questions during the rest periods - doubt that'll happen on TV

Edit: 70k on Thor's stream, 260k on Rogue's and he's not even started yet

Last edited:
Looking ridiculously large at the moment, the Rogue commentators just said he's weighing in at 205kg!

In awe at the size of that lad, absolute unit.

Most impressive thing so far was the plates being weighed - massive stack of them and every single one was 25.00kg. Rogue gonna be getting some sales out of this

Latest posts