• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

The ******* hype.

Looked pretty easy really, small sticking point but not even really using a hitch.

Celebrity ******* boxing, **** off
Thor has hinted at retiring next year, if he does it to do celebrity ******* boxing then that's such a disappointment

Does explain all that back and forth between hall and Thor the last few weeks - gotta hype the fight

For **** sake, how much of this shite was to promote a boxing match?

Obviously the 7 figures is impossible to turn down but it's unfortunate to take Thor out for at least a year at his peak.

it's unfortunate to take Thor out for at least a year at his peak.
He's just said he's doing Iceland's Strongest Man and that's it - no Europe's, World's, Arnold's - until after the fight.
Boxing match is Oct 2021.
That's a long time out of the game/with a drastically different training style. Doubt he comes back to it, which is a massive shame because he could cement himself as one of the real strongman greats, now he's unlikely to ever even get two WSM ***les.

It's gonna be Martins vs Mateusz (and maybe a Stoltman) for a while now - though I'd love to see Shaw sneak back to a podium. Think the game has passed him by now, but he's definitely trimmed down a lot since the last WSM/his realisation that it's a lot more movement/speed based these days.

I chuckled when Thor said how good he was feeling afterwards, given that it was a clear burn on Edde. As for the rest of it, does it need to be sanctioned by a body with a commitment to test?

The cupboard looks pretty bare in terms of talent coming through.

The cupboard looks pretty bare in terms of talent coming through.
I disagree: if Martins gets past his injuries (and it looks like he is) he'll be around a while
Mateusz Kieliszkowski is an absolute beast - he'll be challenging for the top spot from next year onwards, as will Tom Stoltman.
Theres some 23yr old northern lad (whose name I can't remember) who reckons he'll be pulling 470 by the end of the year, then there's one trick ponies (who could easily round out) like Iron Bibby (with the log).
While I think Thor is definitely the best strongman around atm (despite Martin's winning 2019 WSM), the sport is in a pretty good place atm.
There's even talk of Big Z making a comeback

To be honest I don't blame him, with the money he could earn elsewhere, the strongman wear and tear in his body just isn't worth it. The amount of drugs they use and the joint stress I bet he wants to be around to play with his kids/ grandkids rather than by a 5 time WSM.

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1273965213222678530

I think I follow too many powerlifters/strongmen on instagram because
a) 200kg doesn't sound that impressive to me anymore (obviously it's more than I'll ever bench, but in terms of being a professional athlete)
b) that looks terrible
Think Sinks was credited with benching the most on the Lions tour with 160kg. Obviously that was at the end of a very long season so the players wouldn't have been lifting as much as they would in pre-season but still, pro rugby players really don't tend to bench a huge amount.

Edit: Unless you're Rory Sutherland. That man shifts tin.

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1273965213222678530

I think I follow too many powerlifters/strongmen on instagram because
a) 200kg doesn't sound that impressive to me anymore (obviously it's more than I'll ever bench, but in terms of being a professional athlete)
b) that looks terrible

Yeah that's fairly ugly but still so much better than I'll ever get. Fully with you on Instagram warping expectations. Still we have a flanker who was playing with Leinster last summer who benches 190. There was a rugby pass list floating around there that suggested a lot of players were putting up four plates on bench but I don't know how well sources it was.

Speaking of bench Julius Maddox's 800lb attempt is brought forward to this weekend. Disgusting what he's done with the WR in the last year.

Luke Richardson on a mad tear as well deadlifting 410x3 at 22.

Also gyms opening here the 29th!

Think Sinks was credited with benching the most on the Lions tour with 160kg. Obviously that was at the end of a very long season so the players wouldn't have been lifting as much as they would in pre-season but still, pro rugby players really don't tend to bench a huge amount.

Edit: Unless you're Rory Sutherland. That man shifts tin.

Seen Sheridan credited with 225. He's shown at 215 on this list.....make of it what you will, some sound a bit unlikely.....

https://www.news24.com/sport/Rugby/revealed-rugbys-strongest-men-how-much-do-you-bench-bro-20200428

Starting in 10 minutes there will be a few people trying to bench really big weight. Most of note Maddox going for 362kg/800lbs to break his own record. When he first broke it last August he benched 335.5kg. I believe only 5 men have benched over 700lbs raw in competition.

Also the Tupou bench reminded me of one of the craziest non strength sport athletes lift. Wouldn't exactly count in comp but very impressive. Larry Allen was ridiculously athletic. Watch to the end to see one of the scariest things possible that can happen when you have a heavy weight over your face.

Luke Richardson deadlifting 425kg x2 What the actual ****.

He's also only just turned 23.

https://thorspowerprogram.com/

For anyone interested in buying programmes Thor's power programme is having a 4th July 50% sale. Of note is the deadlift programme which Thor and Sebastian Oreb (his coach) say is what he used to peak for the 501kg. It's a 24 week programme.

There's also a bundle of Thor's Power Program 1 + 2 which I believe are mostly based around the big 4. These are both 12 weeks long.

They're both at 29 US Dollars for today.

I've never run any of his programmes but Oreb has an excellent track record across all levels of clients. As well as strongmen and powerlifters he has coached rugby and MMA athletes.