• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Posters: Do they lift things? What do they lift?? Let's find out!

First time back in the gym today. Loving it, very little strength loss on my bench despite weighing ~6kg less than when I last did it so fairly delighted.

Last edited:
I was halfway to orgasm doing tricep pulldowns. Will probably blow my load squatting tomorrow!
I've had access to a squat rack and weights for a few weeks now but I'd still had a good 10 weeks of not being able to lift.

Like you, my bench press hadn't really suffered too much and I'm now repping significantly more than I had been before the pandemic.

My squat on the other hand was absolutely in the bin. It's pretty much back to where it was now, but that's after 6-7 weeks of working it back up. Try not too be too disheartened tomorrow if it's the same case for you. Let us know how you get on.

I've had access to a squat rack and weights for a few weeks now but I'd still had a good 10 weeks of not being able to lift.

Like you, my bench press hadn't really suffered too much and I'm now repping significantly more than I had been before the pandemic.

My squat on the other hand was absolutely in the bin. It's pretty much back to where it was now, but that's after 6-7 weeks of working it back up. Try not too be too disheartened tomorrow if it's the same case for you. Let us know how you get on.
Yeah, no big expectations for my squat. The exercise I've done during lockdown will likely only make my squat weaker so I'll be fairly careful with the weight too. It's generally been a lift I get back to the mean quicker than others after a break from the gym or injury though.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to how badly my squat will have depleted - I had a couple of months off the gym when I moved job and it took me forever to get back up to where I was before

Why do you want to look like rugby players? They train hard because of their profession. But to train too hard can be also dangerous for your health,and if you don't really need it in your life, you can just keep yourself in good shape - that's enough..

Still no word on Gyms opening here - they're just in the "after July 31st" category

Seeing stuff on Instagram it's the 25th?
Aye, announced it in the 5 o'clock briefing thing - buzzing

Be interesting to see what the restrictions on numbers n that are, I usually go before/on the way to work so it's pretty busy

God it feels good to get back in the gym

Depressing how much I've lost though - from repping chins with a 20kg plate, to doing 5-4-3 at bodyweight

God it feels good to get back in the gym

Depressing how much I've lost though - from repping chins with a 20kg plate, to doing 5-4-3 at bodyweight
I was surprised how much I lost in my pull-ups. Lost 6kg over lockdown and still haven't got back to how many reps I could do before. Everything else is either where it was or better now.

Just had my second session back there myself. Great to be back and felt a lot better than yesterday's session. I'm being pretty conservative with my maxes but still having a bit of a guy check. It's improving set to set though so I expect it to comeback quickly. I'm kinda hopeful I'll actually progress by bench for once because my chest got a lot more hypertrophy work than usual during lockdown.

I've been lucky enough that 99% of my workouts over the last three years have been in my rugby clubs gym but it's not open yet so I'm using a commercial gym. Not being able to squat because squat stands (not racks) are taken for guys to do bench and rows when there are better areas to do them is one thing but one couple using it to do reverse flyes (not even in the stand but slightly off to the side but close enough that no one can use the stand) is going to take some getting used to.

I was surprised how much I lost in my pull-ups. Lost 6kg over lockdown and still haven't got back to how many reps I could do before. Everything else is either where it was or better now.
Yeah I've done literally zero lat-related-work since gyms have closed so I was anticipating a big drop off, but still rough haha
Usually pull-ups are a bit of a "muscle memory" type move, for me, and they come back pretty quick - so fingers crossed

Just had my second session back there myself. Great to be back and felt a lot better than yesterday's session. I'm being pretty conservative with my maxes but still having a bit of a guy check. It's improving set to set though so I expect it to comeback quickly. I'm kinda hopeful I'll actually progress by bench for once because my chest got a lot more hypertrophy work than usual during lockdown.

I've been lucky enough that 99% of my workouts over the last three years have been in my rugby clubs gym but it's not open yet so I'm using a commercial gym. Not being able to squat because squat stands (not racks) are taken for guys to do bench and rows when there are better areas to do them is one thing but one couple using it to do reverse flyes (not even in the stand but slightly off to the side but close enough that no one can use the stand) is going to take some getting used to.

Yeah, I went to do my curls in the squat rack like always and some ******** was standing in front of it just lifting the bar with a tonne of weight on it off the ground and putting it back down... Like what's that doing?

Lost surprisingly little off my squats - didn't push myself too hard but hit more than I expected. Wrists and shoulders felt worse than my quads.

Yeah, I went to do my curls in the squat rack like always and some ******** was standing in front of it just lifting the bar with a tonne of weight on it off the ground and putting it back down... Like what's that doing?
Probably BG8 getting some practice in for getting bent over every week in Emptyville Road when the season starts.

Latest posts