First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
ok i may have been rubbish with the choices but this one i can not mess up

so start voting

Read, no question. Vunipola and Morgan are beginning to look good though (as an England fan) and I think as a starter and impact sub, they are one of the better combinations in the world. Having those 2 at the top of their game would be a handful for any team but as an individual, Read just offers everything you could want from an 8 and more.

what a beautiful, beautiful era for no.8's. Too bad Harinordoquy isn't in form anymore these days. Picamoles, Galan soon, Billy V and Morgan in England, Faletau, Heaslip, Parisse etc...to me it's Reade, then Picamoles, then Parisse and Billy V although Parisse is silk to watch, Billy V has got to crack the Top 5 right now just because of his enormity right now, let alone some good offloads.

im sure we would see Denton being up there soon i think his six nations this year was his best. and this year he was clearly our best player in that year six nation not saying that as our other players are bad but because he is a strong ball carrier.

Read.
There are a lot of very good number 8s knocking around at the moment but Read is a step up.

Mowen is the only one who doesn't really deserve to be mentioned - Higginbotham would though.

im sure we would see Denton being up there soon i think his six nations this year was his best. and this year he was clearly our best player in that year six nation not saying that as our other players are bad but because he is a strong ball carrier.

Denton has definitely surprised me last Feb/March and he clearly deserves his place here. Basically every 6N side right now has an elite no.8, make that a couple for England, and the 3 SANZAR nations are well endowed themselves.

Those 10 no.8's mentioned there are definitely the Top 10 in the world atm.

A personal French note: Damien Chouly has really stepped up big in the last few months since November, and Gillian Galan can expect to crack the world Top 10 shortly too, but not right now.

Read and Higginbotham have been pretty **** in SR lately but you would probably still fancy them to make a step up on a bigger stage.

Read and Higginbotham have been pretty **** in SR lately but you would probably still fancy them to make a step up on a bigger stage.

Read hasn't been that bad in Super Rugby - he has struggled a bit with injury though. He is far and away the best 8 in the world IMO.

Higginbotham has all the skills but is lacking in the top 2 inches (and goes MIA far too often).

Well you can add Duane to that list too...

Kieran Read is the best no. 8, with Duane, Picamoles and Parisse behind him.

Mowen is the only one who doesn't really deserve to be mentioned - Higginbotham would though.

I think that's a little unfair - i get what you're saying in that he's not int he class of read etc... but i have a genuine soft spot for Mowen, he's contributed so much to the Aussie cause over the last few months.

Read hasn't been that bad in Super Rugby - he has struggled a bit with injury though. He is far and away the best 8 in the world IMO.

Higginbotham has all the skills but is lacking in the top 2 inches (and goes MIA far too often).

Well you can add Duane to that list too...

Kieran Read is the best no. 8, with Duane, Picamoles and Parisse behind him.

I'd still pick Read ahead of the next best for a test but I do feel he has been pretty average (by his own standards I have to clarify). Vermeulen can be added to that list too, yes.

Mowen has actually been playing pretty well IMO. It depends on what you want from your 8. Mowen is certainly not the ball-in-hand force some of the others are but he does bring a lot to the table not the least of which is phenominal work at the line-out.

really ?? Yeah so, someone on here genuinely believes Vermulen is better than Read ?.......<_<
I know it's just one vote, and the odd vote will always, always, always occur. But just...why ? ... Why ?

You don't think I'm tempted to vote for the guy on my very freakin avatar ? But Read's the best player in the world atm, let alone no.8. Why be so exceptionally stubborn as to wanting the one vote to appear, as if there were some sort of honor to salvage or smt ? It's a vote, vote with your brain, heart has nothing to do with this....God.

Last edited:
really ?? Yeah so, someone on here genuinely believes Vermulen is better than Read ?.......<_<
I know it's just one vote, and the odd vote will always, always, always occur. But just...why ? ... Why ?

You don't think I'm tempted to vote for the guy on my very freakin avatar ? But Read's the best player in the world atm, let alone no.8. Why be so exceptionally stubborn as to wanting the one vote to appear, as if there were some sort of honor to salvage or smt ? It's a vote, vote with your brain, heart has nothing to do with this....God.
i was going to until i realise he's a scrum-half

Mi vote goes for Sergio...who knows how good could he get whether playing for NZ. Many times, if not every, players are as good as they are+their partners are.

Mi vote goes for Sergio...who knows how good could he get whether playing for NZ. Many times, if not every, players are as good as they are+their partners are.

agreed. He IS like a metal guitarist in a reggae band. You get a sense of how good he is of course, but you'll never know just how good because the environment limits him.

1. Read
2. Parrise
3. Faletau

Easy decision for me, clearly the best form 8's since 2011.

Latest posts