• Billy Vunipola (ENG)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Duane Vermeulen (RSA)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Ben Morgan (ENG)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mowen is the only one who doesn't really deserve to be mentioned - Higginbotham would though.
Maybe I'm being extra harsh because I have a tendency to be with England players (except Corbisiero and Launchbury, who are exceptional), but I don't think either of Vunipola or Morgan particularly deserve nominations.

Vunipola is destructive in the carry, but I don't think he has any other traits that are particularly above the average international standard, and some that are perhaps below the average. I suppose it could be argued that carrying is the most important role of an 8 and doing this well stands a player in good stead, however I'm not sure it is enough to be in the running for the best player in the world.

Morgan, on the other hand, is losing a selection battle with Gareth Evans at Gloucester. tbf, Evans is having a good season, but the world's best player should probably be at least the obvious first starter for their club. Morgan does play better for country... kind of. He's had a mixed record for England since his debut. As far as this season goes, he's played pretty well for England, but I don't think it has been of a standard to be amongst the best.

Latest posts