• Thierry Dusautoir (FRA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean O'Brien (IRE)

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the moment, the best openside flanker is Michael Hooper

Sorry Richie

I'd definitely pick Hooper over Mccaw right now.
But I'm still going for that big son of a ***** (SOB ). Work rate, enormous, heart. All you need.

Sean O'Brien better than Michael Hooper???

:lol2tn::roflrol:

Yep, he can do a lot more than Hooper can, more physical in attack and defence.

More physical certainly. But an opensides game isn't purely about physicality (though it certainly helps!). Hooper doesn't run with the ball near as much as O'Brien, as he is used far more in a "linking" role for the Wallabies (a role which he is very effective in). When he does run he is arguably even more effective than O'Brien (though he does run a bit wider of the breakdown). Both are excellent at the breakdown, and though Hooper is improving on defense I think O'Brien has an advantage in that regards (due to his increased physicality). I can certainly see why people would prefer O'Brien over Hooper - personally I don't think there is much between them and it would really depend on the style of openside you prefer...

I like SOB but in how many games against ABs and Boks was the best forward?

Because Hooper play against Boks and ABs four times a year since 2012 and has always done a great performance. He has always been the best Aussie forward in the Rugby Championship against ABs and Boks.

It's easier to have good performances playing against Italy and Scotland in 6N than playing against Boks and ABs in the Rugby Championship IMO.

Yes, I prefer SOB. In the words of Big Ewis he has more mass compared to Hooper.;0)

why...why I never said this on this thread. And honestly if SOB wasn't such a freak in the rucks I'd give it to Hooper although yes MASS is utterly important at the breakdown. Hooper really is one of the rare exceptions (who confirms the rule).

Because Hooper play against Boks and ABs four times a year since 2012 and has always done a great performance. He has always been the best Aussie forward in the Rugby Championship against ABs and Boks.

It's easier to have good performances playing against Italy and Scotland in 6N than playing against Boks and ABs in the Rugby Championship IMO.

Just off the top of my head he was our stand out forward in the 3 test tour vs New Zealand (in 2012? I think) and he got a lot compliments from the NZ media if I remember correctly.. especially in the second test.

Did you not watch SOB's performance v the ABs in November? He was immense; easily MOM.

Oh yeah you were on sabbatical.

More physical certainly. But an opensides game isn't purely about physicality (though it certainly helps!). Hooper doesn't run with the ball near as much as O'Brien, as he is used far more in a "linking" role for the Wallabies (a role which he is very effective in). When he does run he is arguably even more effective than O'Brien (though he does run a bit wider of the breakdown). Both are excellent at the breakdown, and though Hooper is improving on defense I think O'Brien has an advantage in that regards (due to his increased physicality). I can certainly see why people would prefer O'Brien over Hooper - personally I don't think there is much between them and it would really depend on the style of openside you prefer...
This sums it up pretty perfectly, they are so different in style and both teams have such a different game plan.

It is pretty easy to be the best Aussie forward when the rest of them looked ****e. He is a great player, but if Pocock is fit then I don't see him actually starting for the Wallabies. Also the Boks always make fetchers look incredible as they don't play one themselves, England managed to do well with Robshaw in 2012 test, but I will admit he absolutely destroyed us in 2012, was easily the best player on the pitch.

could a starting duo of Hooper+Pocock (when healthy again) work ? I understand they're both 100% OS, but maybe with Pocock's bulk that could make up for it, and they'd have two fantastic ultra high-work rate fetchers + other things.

could a starting duo of Hooper+Pocock (when healthy again) work ? I understand they're both 100% OS, but maybe with Pocock's bulk that could make up for it, and they'd have two fantastic ultra high-work rate fetchers + other things.

Depends. If they played Higginbotham at 8 it could, as he can be the 3rd line out option and main back row ball carrier. Not sure a back row of Pocock, Hooper and Palu would work as well.

Latest posts