• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF World XV opposition

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
So the TRF World XV are just about selected but who would they play? I thought maybe a XV of players not currently in the test arena but proven class so here's my nominations (yes, I am a XV's addict);

1 Andrew Sheridan?
2 Schalk Brits
3 quite a few options here.. I don't watch enough NH rugby to seperate Afoa, Mujati or Hayman from each other
4 Bakkies Botha
5 Nathan Hines? Andries Bekker?
6 Juan Smith
7 Steffon Armitage
8 Ernst Joubert? I'm sure there is a shoe-in I just can't recall here..
9 Rory Kockott
10 Johnny Wilkinson, Giteau, Evans?
11 Sitiveni Sivivatu
12 SBW
13 Rene Ranger
14 Hoseas Gear
15 Nacewa and Toeava still around? Otherwise Payne

What do you think? And which XV would you back- the TRF world XV or this sort of Top14 SH ex-pat XV earily reminiscent of RCT?

yes, I am a XV's addict

1 Andrew Sheridan? quick mention to Sébastien Taofifenua, very underrated. Can't think of anyone right now...but there's GOT to be better than Sheridan atm.
2 Schalk Brits
3 Carl Hayman
4 Bakkies Botha
5 Nathan Hines? Andries Bekker?
6 Juan Smith
7 Steffon Armitage
8 Ernst Joubert? I'm sure there is a shoe-in I just can't recall here..
9 Rory Kockott
10 Johnny Wilkinson
11 Sitiveni Sivivatu
12 Giteau
13 Ranger
14 Hoseas Gear
15 Lee Byrne should have a shot too for sure, Delon Armitage too and J.M Buttin from Clermont although technically he's a France player

no shame in that. And awesome idea, it's not just a fun thread but it helps us see where those guys are at.
In blue, my picks.

Perhaps Chris Masoe at no.8 as Saffycen is proposing. And I was about to mention Nalaga for the other wing and Cudmore as a lock, but they do play test Rugby.

Wow. Chris Masoe. Havn't heard of him in an age! Always made a massive impact when he came on (pun intended) but you never knew in favor of which team as he could bully opposition one game but the next game would drop every ball he recieved or give away a ton of silly penalties if his team didn't get the lion's share of posession.

Some good options here, thanks. It kinda makes me sad though to think of the many SA forwards our local teams could do with but facts are facts and teh Rand is just not strong enough.

what about David Smith on the wing ?

Gear is probably a bit better, although Smith is in deed very underrated and most ppl would probably tell you "noooooo !!! Gear is WAY better" which just isn't true. Good call, but the nod still goes to the Toulousain.

Some good options here, thanks. It kinda makes me sad though to think of the many SA forwards our local teams could do with but facts are facts and teh Rand is just not strong enough.

you shouldn't be bothered by this. I used to think that myself, like, "those SANZAR nations are really losing a lot to this Top 14 industry..." but for S.A., they've got everything they need at 2nd or 3rd row right now, and Alberts, Eben E. or Vermulen moving abroad right now would probably never happen. There are only so many players you can fit into a group of 23, and that's that...

There are cases though, where indeed a nation really could use the services of a specific individual:
- Steffon Armitage for England
- Rory Kockott for SA
- Kaino and SBW for NZ (but that's about to change)
- Giteau for Australia

What happened to Byrne in the latest heineken cup game? Is he injured?

What happened to Byrne in the latest heineken cup game? Is he injured?

not sure, I can never keep up with all 14 sides in our league...injuries must be the longest list in the world in the Top 14, I'm sure of it.
It's either him or J.M Buttin at 15 for Clermont, but he is preferred in regular circumstances to the latter.

If I was picking an opposition to the world XV it would be the people who came second in the polls in their respective positions.

No offense but the team named above would get slaughtered by the current players in the world XV.

Picking the next best 15 and then playing them would be as close to a level playing field as one could get.

If I was picking an opposition to the world XV it would be the people who came second in the polls in their respective positions.

No offense but the team named above would get slaughtered by the current players in the world XV.
I'm not to sure the backline of Sivi, SBW, Ranger, Gear, Toeava
And the pack is hardly terrible, they would lose but not by any embarrassing margin.

Latest posts