• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations 2010 top XV

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Thought it a good time to review the action of this year's tournament and round it off with a list of the best players in each position:

15 Mills Muliaina (NZ) with Dagg and Jane there to push him he is playing some great rugby
14 Cory Jane (NZ)
13 Conrad Smith (NZ)
12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
11 James O'Connor (Aus) no real stand outs
10 Dan Carter (NZ)
9 Will Genia (Aus) leagues ahead with FdP recovering from surgery
8 Keiran Read (NZ)
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
6 Schalk Burger (SA) tackling machine, scored 2 tries and was one of precious few Boks to perform
5 Nathan Sharpe (Aus) thought Matfield came right the last games but Sharpe was good throughout
4 Brad Thorn (NZ) at the center of the NZ pack
3 Owen Franks (NZ) what a step up
2 Kevan Mealamu (NZ)
1 Guthro Steenkamp (SA) in the form of his life, pity it couldn't rub off on his teammates

Unlucky to miss out: David Pocock but I felt I couldn't leave out McCaw or choose him over Burger out of position, though he was really influential throughout and probably should be bracketed with Burger.

NZ 10
AUS 3 1/2
SA 1 1/2

Probably sums up the year pretty well.

Last edited:
The same chosed by you, but Genia doesn't look in form in his last 3 matches, Burgess IMO saved Australia in the 2nd test in the Republic.
Weepu or Hougaard by far better.
And I don't like Franks (often NZ flankers pushed on his opposite 1 to save the scrum, there are some footages by ARU on youtube), I prefer Jannie Du Plessis, he seems to have improved his technique, now he is a great tighthead!

Thought it a good time to review the action of this year's tournament and round it off with a list of the best players in each position:

15 Mills Muliaina (NZ) with Dagg and Jane there to push him he is playing some great rugby
14 Cory Jane (NZ)
13 Conrad Smith (NZ)
12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
10 Dan Carter (NZ)
8 Keiran Read (NZ)
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
6 Schalk Burger (SA) tackling machine, scored 2 tries and was one of precious few Boks to perform
5 Nathan Sharpe (Aus) thought Matfield came right the last games but Sharpe was good throughout
2 Kevan Mealamu (NZ)
1 Guthro Steenkamp (SA) in the form of his life, pity it couldn't rub off on his teammates

Unlucky to miss out: David Pocock but I felt I couldn't leave out McCaw or choose him over Burger out of position, though he was really influential throughout and probably should be bracketed with Burger.

NZ 10
AUS 3 1/2
SA 1 1/2

Pretty much the same for mine, except Juan Smith ahead of Burger at 6, his impact on the Saffa team was huge. Honourable mentions to Hougard, Weepu, Pocock, Beale and JOC very very lucky to have the 11 jersey.

I think Hougaard did well but he only had 3 games and I guess I constantly compare him to the FdP. Genia, although not the factor he was in the S14 was still a dangerous player and kept the opposition on their toes.

The thing with Janie is he goes missing in the loose and this series was all about the loose. Few scrums were actually influential and the fact that Jannie slipped some tackles and looked tired around the park.. no, I'd pick Owen Franks (because eh gets away with playing off-side at rucks) and is generally more of a factor at the rucks and in loose play.

Pretty much the same for mine, except Juan Smith ahead of Burger at 6, his impact on the Saffa team was huge. Honourable mentions to Hougard, Weepu, Pocock, Beale and JOC very very lucky to have the 11 jersey.

I thought Burger had a good tournament. He isn't an out and out fetcher (damn, we're missing Brussouw) but he played his game well. Smith made an impact for sure but the number of times we had a 2 man overlap with forward momentum only for Smith to bash it up another time... at least Schalla looks to offload or pass when its on. Tackles just as much, handles the ball better even if Smith has a bigger physical presence in the collisions. Coin toss between Burger, Smith and Pokock.

Agreed that JOC very lucky to get 11 but who else? Habana the worst player of teh tournament (maybe JdV on wing but he was out of position so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). Rocokoco was solid but didn't really feature, much like Petersen. Mitchell possibly. Dagg and Turner looked impressive but didn't get the gametime to really push for a spot.

I thought Burger had a good tournament. He isn't an out and out fetcher (damn, we're missing Brussouw) but he played his game well. Smith made an impact for sure but the number of times we had a 2 man overlap with forward momentum only for Smith to bash it up another time... at least Schalla looks to offload or pass when its on. Tackles just as much, handles the ball better even if Smith has a bigger physical presence in the collisions. Coin toss between Burger, Smith and Pokock.

Agreed that JOC very lucky to get 11 but who else? Habana the worst player of teh tournament (maybe JdV on wing but he was out of position so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). Rocokoco was solid but didn't really feature, much like Petersen. Mitchell possibly. Dagg and Turner looked impressive but didn't get the gametime to really push for a spot.
I agree with pretty much all your team. Weepu looked to be in better form than Genia though, but Genia still looked dangerous. I also would put Smith ahead of Burger.

Heres my team or more like backline...

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Cory Jane
13. Conrad Smith
12. Ma'a Nonu
11. Gio Aplon
10. Dan Carter
09. Piri Weepu

The rest the same as stormer2010's team. Feel free to criticise my team I most probably wont reply lol.

Mitchell, quality? Eeeeh. Anyone would look good if Jean de Villiers was teh opposing 'wing'. I hate Mitchell (Really can't think why) and I don't see that he is any better than JOC. Well, hate is a strong word but Australians really annoy me (it's the way they pronounce our names etc I think). Might be the fatc that I've never heard JOC speak but then again, I can't really think of a winger that really DESERVES a spot other than Jane. Turner had a good game in the last encounter against NZ but that was only 1 game. Dagg in the same boat.

For something different, how about the plonkers of the TriNations:

1 Tony Woodcock (shoulder charging Fainga? at rucktime when he was nowhere near the ball)
2 John Smit for being just too fat and tired
3 CJ vander Linde for being useless
4 Bakkies Botha for being an idiot
5 Victor Matfield for only showing up for his last 2 games
6 Rocky Elsom because I don't appreciate being mooned
7 Francois Louw but I thought he could have done with some support from his teammates
8 Pierre Spies for missing a really good tournament
9 Ricky Januarie although I love pies also
10 Quade Cooper really, I don't get it
11 Brian Habana OMG, don't get me started (would lend him to the Boland in the CC 1st div)
12 Matt Giteau for being probably the only overrated non South African in this year's tourney and missing sitters FTL
13 Wynand Olivier for getting way more chances than any cat deserves
14 Jean de Villiers was awful but to be fair, the coaching staff were idiots to even consider the move in the first place
15 Frans Steyn for having gone to France. You can have him back and keep him IMO

You know it wasnt long ago this guy wasnt that bad.

True enough but the only guy more out of form is Brian Habana IMO. He hasn't made the breaks, running lines are a bit off, hasn't created the space for others, Hasn't backed himself for a run in, hasn't found the posts when under pressure and he haas never been the most physical defender. Just last year some people where comparing him to Carter, some even implying that Carter was on his way down with Gits heading in the opposite direction. Him and the Springboks.. a year really can make a world of difference (along with changes to rule enforcements and injuries to key players; that being Fourie du Preez, the winner of the 2009 IRB player of the year award for those living in a just world)

14 Cory Jane (NZ)
13 Conrad Smith (NZ)
12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
10 Dan Carter (NZ)
8 Keiran Read (NZ)
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
2 Kevan Mealamu (NZ)

NZ 10
AUS 3 1/2
SA 1 1/2

Agree with almost all of that. I would probably select Hougaard over Genia at halfback, as he was very good in the games he played, while I thought Genia was actually pretty average all tournament.

The make up of the loose-forward trio is probably the other main debatable position - I'd certainly pick McCaw and Read, but the third position is really up for debate in my mind between Pocock, Burger, Smith and Kaino (who I'm surprised has not been mentioned). Kaino's physical work around the park has been outstanding all tournament -it was obvious the impact he made when he came on the bench last Saturday!

15. Mills Muliainainiaheia
14. Cory Jane
13. Conrade Smith
12. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Quade Cooper
9. Will Genia
8. Ben McCalman - He was a machine.
7. David Pocock - The future of openside flankers.
6. Anyone but Rocky Elsom
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Victor Matfield
3. Salesi Ma'afu - Really picked up his work rate in the last few games.
2. I don't really know would have been Saia Faingaa till he got sent off.......
1. Guthro Steentoad.

People who shouldn't have made the tournament.

15. France Steyn, bring back the South African Steyn he was better.
14. Bryan Habana, Been hanging out with the Pakistani's by the looks of it.
13. Wynad Olivander or w/e his name is, he looks funny
12. Ma'a Nonu, You're too old, let go it's over no body takes you seriously anymore, even McCalman the snotty little upstart decked you.
11. James O'Connor, I don't care how many tries he scored, he let Richie McCaw over from a scrum, why? because he thought Rocky's pants were riding a bit to high on his hips.
10. Cruden, Do I need to say anything?
9. The little fat fellow from South Africa.
8. Richard Brown, Dick can't seem to tackle.
7. Nobody really springs to mind.
6. Rocky Elsom, Go back to Europe where you at least looked damaging.
5. Bakkies headbutt Botha, Hope Jimmy Cowan didn't hurt his face.
4. Dean Mumm, Overrated.
3. James Slipper.........
2. Saia Faingaa, I love your work, I don't like your Red cards.
1. Benn Robinson, he needs to get back to his old form.

Last edited:
kaino at 6 would have to be one of the automatic selections for a tri nations XV he's been vital to the AB's this year and the last game clearly showed that, I think if kaino had played 80 min the AB's would have won by 10+ rather than one point. Kaino is the main guy who controls the advantage line battle for the AB's in every test. Burger would be on the bench for this side.

Weepu is clearly the 9 of the tournament no doubt about it in my mind. Great composire and kicking, match winning goal cicking when needed, what suprised me was how he shut down Spies with his defence around the scrums - was very impressive maybe two man of the match efforts.

Only spots that may not be inhabited by AB's would be

11 where the AB's have tried Roks, Kahui, Ranger & Dagg and none have nailed the position down. Though Daggs game winning last minute trys in TWO GAMES one being a huge solo effort make him a candidate.

1 yes Steenkamp is one clear selection

5 - Donnely started strongly and played a critical part of the early wins against the boks but did have a few quiet games and Sharpe & Matfield were both standouts for their own sides.

Close call for me would be 13 smith vs. fourie with smith maybe taking it based on the fact AB's beat SA 3-0 in the series.

That's it.

Both the franks Brothers have been very impressive, I would actually give Ben the 3 jersey overall.

14. Cory Jane
13. Conrade Smith
12. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Quade Cooper
9. Will Genia
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Victor Matfield
1. Guthro Steentoad.

oh c'mon, I know I can be a bit bias but I actually try hard not to be. You would think AUS won the tri nations from that team. only 3 AB's out of 15?

I like the other list though hehe

oh c'mon, I know I can be a bit bias but I actually try hard not to be. You would think AUS won the tri nations from that team. only 3 AB's out of 15?

I like the other list though hehe

You should see my Super 14 teams of the year, at least I included NZ and South Africans in this one :p

14. Cory Jane
13. Conrade Smith
12. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Quade Cooper
9. Will Genia
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Victor Matfield
1. Guthro Steentoad.

People who shouldn't have made the tournament.

15. France Steyn, bring back the South African Steyn he was better.
14. Bryan Habana, Been hanging out with the Pakistani's by the looks of it.
13. Wynad Olivander or w/e his name is, he looks funny
12. Ma'a Nonu, You're too old, let go it's over no body takes you seriously anymore, even McCalman the snotty little upstart decked you.
11. James O'Connor, I don't care how many tries he scored, he let Richie McCaw over from a scrum, why? because he thought Rocky's pants were riding a bit to high on his hips.
10. Cruden, Do I need to say anything?
9. The little fat fellow from South Africa.
8. Richard Brown, Dick can't seem to tackle.
7. Nobody really springs to mind.
6. Rocky Elsom, Go back to Europe where you at least looked damaging.
5. Bakkies headbutt Botha, Hope Jimmy Cowan didn't hurt his face.
4. Dean Mumm, Overrated.
3. James Slipper.........
2. Saia Faingaa, I love your work, I don't like your Red cards.
1. Benn Robinson, he needs to get back to his old form.

What?

No one is scared of him anymore, when he came onto the scene he relied on the fact he looked like Tana, and everyone was scared to tackle him, now about 10,000 years after he came onto the scene, he's not scary anymore, he's not as physical, he's just slowly turning into a dirty angry player.

Latest posts