• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Wallabies @ Eden Park (06-08-2011, 08:35 GMT)

key for Aussie really is getting ball and space for their backs. The AB's gameplan will surely be to dominate up front and starve the aussies of space and posession draw in the aussie forwards and give the AB backline the ball with gaps out wide. AB's will beed to be very smart with posission, aussies will attack the breakdown alot harder than the boks did.

Only real worry in the AB's for me is Gear and Sivivatu. Both havn't really been tested in a while, Sivi is a left wing on the right wing. Gear isn't the best at managing kicks in behind him. This is a trial match for these two guys, in a non world cup year this would be the most important game of the season. But this time around it's more obviously about finding out who has for the goods now to narrow down selection options for the world cup.

Very intriguing match. I think the AB's forwards will be far too dominant for Oz and this may limit the Oz backs opportunities

I'm a little disappointed that the Wallabies have stuck with Elsom (though he was never going to get dropped as captain - he also wasn't 100% bad last week) and McCabe (would've rather had Fainga'a)
Still, a strong team - Strong enough to turn over the All Blacks? Maybe if it were in Australia, can't see them getting the win away from though
Would love to be proven wrong however :p

I actually quite like McCabe at 12 - like Fainga'a he is a rock-solid defender, and is good at taking the ball into contact. Where I think McCabe shades Fainga'a is that he runs superb lines - he's exactly the sort of player that you would want running off Quade Coopers shoulder. While I probably think that Fainga'a is perhaps the better of the two at this stage - largely due to his combination with Cooper and his greater experience at 12 - I think potentially McCabe could bring greater value to the Aussie 12 jersey.

Really looking forward to the game. I think the AB's should have the edge up front, and will look to dominate at scrum time (especially with Owen Franks and Brad Thorn back). Ali Williams really needs to step up his game, as I really rate the duo of Horwill and Simmons. The loose-forward battle will be interesting, and I feel NZ have quite a big edge here. McCaw looked to be getting back near his best last week; though I think Pocock is now clearly better than McCaw at the breakdown, I think McCaw has a more complete game, and certainly gets a lot more support from his fellow loosies.

The battle of the halves could well decide the game - it will certainly be interesting to see Weepu get 60-odd mins. I expect both Weepu and Carter may kick in behind the Australian defense quite a bit, as though Quade Cooper can be great on the counter-attack, his positioning can be a bit off at times. They will have to be very accurate with their kicks though as Cooper, Ioane, O'Connor, and Beale could cause havoc if they kick straight down their throats. The AB's look to have a edge in the midfield. Nonu has been pretty quiet these past few weeks; it wouldn't surprise me if this week he really steps it up and causes a lot of trouble. He, along with Carter, will certainly test Ioanes defense positioning.

The battle between the wings will certainly be interesting - I expect Australia may try to kick in behind both Gear and Sivivatu, so both will have to be on their toes. Hosea Gear v O'Connor in particular interesting - as long as Gear stays with O'Connor he should be able to contain him, but if he gives him any room O'Connor will be gone. While O'Connor is a solid defender (especially for his size) he is giving up close to 20kg to Gear - though I expect O'Connor will eventually stop him, Gear may have made 5-10 metres, and I'm sure he will look to offload too. I expect Ioane will cause Sivivatu a lot of problems on the other side, though Sivivatu himself certainly looked dangerous v Fiji, and is likely to be facing either Beale of even Quade Cooper from set play so may cause some damage.

Overall I'm expect the AB's to win a relatively close match by about 12 points.

While O'Connor is a solid defender (especially for his size) he is giving up close to 20kg to Gear

I can't find it but James O'Connor dump tackled Victor Matfield last year, I doubt he'd have trouble with Gear.

I can't find it but James O'Connor dump tackled Victor Matfield last year, I doubt he'd have trouble with Gear.

Except that Matfield doesn't move nearly as quickly as Gear. One dump tackle on a lock last year doesn't mean he won't have trouble marking Gear. I'd suggest the majority of top wingers in world rugby would have trouble marking the guy. It's more a case of limiting any time and space for Gear.

Except that Matfield doesn't move nearly as quickly as Gear. One dump tackle on a lock last year doesn't mean he won't have trouble marking Gear. I'd suggest the majority of top wingers in world rugby would have trouble marking the guy. It's more a case of limiting any time and space for Gear.

Exactly what I was going to say!

I think both teams will be under immense pressure to win this game

... after all the TRF shield is at stake! :D

Hi everybody,

I did not see last week match against boks. Did Weepu play (at start or replacement)? How did he play? I was wondering if you consider him a good option at start because I saw a pair of Canes' games this season and I did not see him totally fit. Obviously, it has not been the best season for Hurricanes and also returning from such an injury must be tough.

or its real name...the raeburn shield

No, i'm pretty sure it's called the TRF shield :D ... I don't want to Hijack this thread, but I will say that I researched this other Shield you speak of :p , and although their official website was down, I did get to read an article on espn scrum (http://www.espnscrum.com/worldcup/rugby/story/134739.html).

The article states that the idea came from a number of different sources, and that they ran with the concept in terms of a website etc, in 2008, where as TRF were running with theirs in 2007, so it seems at the very least, that it's a borrowed concept.

... Anyway, you might note which site you are on ... as Olyy says, The TRF shield has more prestige here :D

WOW! ... there's a certain amount of irony here, defending which is the "Real" "Virtual" shield :D

INVICTUS
Aus are better covered for Carter they have O'Connor and Beale.

Also please don't try and wind me up saying that the NH is subpar and Elsom is actually crap. Was good enough last year and has only played basically two matches this year!

Hi everybody,

I did not see last week match against boks. Did Weepu play (at start or replacement)? How did he play? I was wondering if you consider him a good option at start because I saw a pair of Canes' games this season and I did not see him totally fit. Obviously, it has not been the best season for Hurricanes and also returning from such an injury must be tough.

I agree that he doesn't look very fit, seems to keep getting fatter :p. He's starting vs Aus so the AB's believe in him and its up to him to prove himself? I think he's the best halfback they've got.

Can't wait for 2morro, nice spread of games to watch. Shame about the time differences, wanted a lie in tomorrow morning (after a hard week of work ;) ). Looks like its cooked breakfast after watching this match tomorrow. Gonna be very interesting, both form sides (SA playing absolute junk - no disrespect; a lot to do with team selection i hear though). Should be an entertaining affair, attacking rugby anyone??

INVICTUS
Aus are better covered for Carter they have O'Connor and Beale.

Also please don't try and wind me up saying that the NH is subpar and Elsom is actually crap. Was good enough last year and has only played basically two matches this year!

I would say Slade is a better all round player. Beale and O'Connor are good on attack but are both extremely suspect on defence like most of the Wallabies backs, which is why they bring in Mccabe who can actually tackle. Ioane can't even tackle and has been known for sliding off defenders but has been given the role ahead of Cooper.

I would say Slade is a better all round player. Beale and O'Connor are good on attack but are both extremely suspect on defence like most of the Wallabies backs, which is why they bring in Mccabe who can actually tackle. Ioane can't even tackle and has been known for sliding off defenders but has been given the role ahead of Cooper.

O'Connor is probably one of the best defenders in the Australian squad; for the size of him he is quite impressive. Just take how he owned Mvovo.

O'Connor is probably one of the best defenders in the Australian squad; for the size of him he is quite impressive. Just take how he owned Mvovo.

Look at Super 15 and 2010 Tri-Nations stats, JOC misses a lot of tackles and generally has very poor positioning.

Any poor positioning is usually to do with playing different positions can you show these stats. O'Connor is a good defender and Beale isn't bad.

BTW Ioane had the most tackles vs S.A.

Look at Super 15 and 2010 Tri-Nations stats, JOC misses a lot of tackles and generally has very poor positioning.

James O'Connor:

Tri-Nations 2011:

vs South Africa (2011) 8 tackles made, 0 missed

Northern Tour:

vs France (27/11/2010) 4 tackles made, 0 missed
vs England (13/11/2010) 2 tackles made, 1 missed

Tri-Nations 2010:

vs New Zealand (30/10/2010) 2 tackles made, 1 missed
vs New Zealand (11/09/2010) 3 tackles made, 0 missed
vs South Africa (04/09/2010) 6 tackles made, 1 missed
vs South Africa (28/08/2010) 2 tackles made, 1 missed
vs New Zealand (07/08/2010) 3 tackles made, 0 missed

So in eight international matches JOC has made 30 tackles and missed 4. That means he has an 86.67% tackle success rate against the most experienced opposition. Hardly misses
a lot of tackles
as you mention in your previous post Rhyer.

Stats recovered from http://www.espnscrum.com/

Last edited:
Tri-Nations - Date - Tackles - Tackles Missed

vs South Africa - 23 July 2011 - 8 - 1
vs All Blacks - 11 September 2010 - 7 - 0
vs South Africa - 4 September 2010 - 4 - 3
vs South Africa - 28 August 2010 - 3 - 1
vs All Blacks - 7 August 2010 - 9 - 1
vs All Blacks - 31 July 2010 - 6 - 1
vs South Africa 24 July 2010 - 8 - 3

Total : 45 - 10 - 77.78% success rate which is poor for international

Source : http://ruggastats.com/steams.aspx?T=17