• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri-nations SA vs NZ 1998

M

munross

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mLwgJ3eamBU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Final Score: SA 24 - 23 NZ :bravo:

Epic. :D

BTW is it true that the 1998 TN, when the Boks won it, is the only time a team has won the TN Grandslam? I remember reading that somewhere. I think.

New Zealand must have done that before. Can't think that they haven't. Anyway, i actually remember that game pretty well. Robbie Fleck was such a great player in his prime. Then who could ever forget Slaptjips, what a legend. Good stuff.

I should look on wiki later to check up on the GS thing. Even when NZ have dominated either Oz or SA have beaten them at least once in that year. I believe the ABs also lost all their TN games in '98! I'm pretty sure we built up a winning streak over them because the next we met in a game was at the RWC 99 where we beat them in the 3rd/4th play off

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The opening tournament of 1996 was dominated by the All Blacks who stormed to victory undefeated, leaving the Springboks and the Wallabies with just one win each—against each other. The opening exchange was between New Zealand and Australia, New Zealand winning by over 40 points and, although they won all four of their games, the later matches were a lot closer in their scorelines. The launch of the Tri Nations was considered a huge success.

A similar story unfolded the following year, 1997. The All Blacks maintained their dominance over the new competition and again went undefeated. Australia and South Africa found themselves in similar position again with just one win each. The 1998 series was something of a turnaround for all nations with South Africa winning the tournament and Australia finishing second. Two-time winner New Zealand finished at the bottom with no wins. In the following tournament in 1999 New Zealand again became Tri Nations champions and defending champions South Africa fell to the bottom.

Australia, the World Champions at the time, won their first Tri Nations championship in 2000. That tournament is also notable for Australia's opening match against New Zealand at Stadium Australia where 109,874 spectators attended. Jonah Lomu scored a try in injury time to grab the win for the All Blacks. The game was hailed as one of the greatest ever, and the end competition thought by some to be the best Tri Nations ever at the time.

Australia continued their reign as Tri Nations champions by successfully defending the trophy the following year. Their run ended in 2002 when the All Blacks won the championship again. New Zealand successfully defended it in 2003. South Africa won the 2004 tournament where the three nations finished with two wins each. The Springboks emerged as winners due to their superior table points. The trophy returned to New Zealand in 2005 and the Wallabies failed to win a game.

In 2006 New Zealand retained the trophy with 2 games still to be played. In 2007, the Tri Nations was shortened to two games against either team, because it clashed with the Rugby World Cup in France. The Tri Nations championship and the Bledisloe Cup came down to the final match, between New Zealand and Australia at Eden Park. New Zealand ran out easy winners, and lifted both the trophies. There was some controversy as South Africa fielded less than a full strength squad in the away legs in Australia and New Zealand in anticipation of the World Cup. New Zealand defended their ***le in 2008, in beating Australia in the final match in Brisbane.[/b]

Seems NZ have done it twice...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri_Nations_(rugby_union)

Seems like NZ can dominate most tournaments and tours but just not the RWC since they won it in 1987, hopefully SA can win their 3rd TN this year...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jan 21 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I should look on wiki later to check up on the GS thing. Even when NZ have dominated either Oz or SA have beaten them at least once in that year. I believe the ABs also lost all their TN games in '98! I'm pretty sure we built up a winning streak over them because the next we met in a game was at the RWC 99 where we beat them in the 3rd/4th play off[/b]
Gee I didn't even know we still played off for 3rd I must of been so shattered after the All Blacks lost to the French. I can just remember waking up 4am on a school day just to watch us lose and then still having to go to school.

Do they actually call it a grand slam if any of the teams win all their games?

Not sure, I know alot of sports use the term for going unbeaten in annual competitions.

Latest posts