Tri-Nations to trial NEW law changes

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Steve-o, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7432618.stm

This one on the RSS feed caught my eye..

So, no number restriction at the line-out and pulling down the maul laws are in for this years Tri-Nations. I'm not sure why they're pushing that 'pulling down the maul' rule so much. Seriously, they must see something in that rule that we're not. Does it really add to the game? I don't think it does.

I don't know what the iRB sees, whatever.I know there are thousands of threads on the ELV's but I didn't expect us SH guys had to test that particular rule again (I'm pretty sure they tried it in the ARC), especially in the Tri-Nations.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. ChiefsFan

ChiefsFan Guest

I love the ELVs. Sure, they're not perfect and there are things to chnage but ultimately I see it as being good for the game.

The reason for allowing pulling down the maul is that once a team gets a maul rolling in the five metre line it's almost impossible to stop.

4. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Nah, you're over exaggerating there ChiefsFan, they very much stop-able.
    Yeah it's difficult to defend, it's also difficult to get one going. It's a skill. Plus not many things get a crowd going like when they see a good rolling maul.

5. Dmx#1

Dmx#1 Guest

That maul rule is stupid and yeah I know its rugby not tiddlywinks but someone could get seriously injured because of it.

6. gingergenius

gingergenius Guest

No, they're very simple to stop. There's two packs pushing against each other, it's equal. Often defending teams choose not to contest the lineout so they can get the shove on ASAP.

7. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Yeah, alot of teams are adept at stopping it, and there's nothing more satisfying than watching your team push one of those mauls back and actually steal possession!

8. Boggle

Boggle Guest

Just to add to the other posts.

Doing this is like saying, "oh that team x is very good at running with the ball, maybe we should make it legal to trip them in mid stride because -gasp- team y is -shite- at defending against a running game"

no.

just no.

A maul is a skill as much as anything else, if a team has any decent defensive structure they should be able to negate it as well, pulling down the maul is just plain cheating in my opinion.

9. ChiefsFan

ChiefsFan Guest

What I mean is, if one team gets a maul rolling from say the 22 and pushes into the 5 Metre, because of the build up of movement and what not the force is very hard to equal if one team has to keep being pushed back.

I'm not saying I agree, but this is the reason that was stated when they were first explaining some of the ELVs.

10. mike-o-l

mike-o-l Guest

The Maul Rule will effect teams like the Boks who use the Rolling maul as a main part of the stragedy. A problem with this law is if the pull it down before it gets to the last man, the ball will be trapped inside. The Lineout law is fine though

11. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

agree with darkmanx, maul rule is **** and dangerous.

yeah it's rugby, but it will take 1 quadriplegic case or death, and they will say "whoops, what just happenenenened?"

12. danny

danny Guest

Yep quite agree. Hard to get kids and their parents interested when dangerous practice is legal in a sport. Cant see that one lasting long?

13. Fa'atau82

Fa'atau82 Guest

Dan Carter and Matt Giteau try to get more involved with the ELV's.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

I understand that, but there has to be a limit to "balancing" the game in this respect. Remember the law of unintended consequences.

It is much better to focus on making the game easier to understand for everyone than on noble goals such as trying to "nerf" certain parts of the game because they feel that it gives one side an advantage over the other.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!