• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Wallabies - Springboks @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney (23-07-2011, 11:00 GMT)

We'd have been a good chance if Stegmann = Brussow and Olivier = anyone else really (LaGrange or Lambie would've been my picks to start ahead of Olivier)

Also, though his not in the squad, I'd have had Riaan Viljoen at 15 with Aplonon the wing ahead of Mvovo or Basson who have less of a workrate. Viljoen has the boot and creativity we need at 15. Just as pacy but stronger than Aplon. Only slightly less elusive; not many can compare to Aplon's acceleration.

Last edited:
Australia look better man-for-man in nearly every position for me (as I mentioned in the other match thread - is it possible for someone with power to combine these two threads?). Because of this I'm picking they to win by 15-20 points, though if it is wet it will probably be a bit closer.

Last edited:
With all the "injuries" that the SA team have so tragically suffered we will probably get smashed.
I really hope i'm wrong about this but thats the logical conclusion.

Deans really can't afford to lose this one, so Wallabies to win between 1-12.

Last edited:
I honestly think SA have a chance and the Odds favour Aussie more than they should. maybe still fav's but not by that margin.

Even more so because being the first game of the series home advantage isn't as great because SA will be pretty well rested and adjusted. Wont be like they have just flown in or backing up from a previous game.

Still, should be a good game.

I listed this season's representatives to show how the Brumbies and Force, two poor performing sides, managed to snare 50% of the 22.

On form Scott Higginbotham, Saia and Anthony Faingaa deserve places over Rocky Elsom, Stephen Moore and Pat McCabe. And as much as Giteau needs a wakeup call he deserves to be ahead of McCabe, or at least a spot on the bench. The only reason Higgers, who has been in blistering form, isn't in the team is due to Elsom's (dodgy) captaincy.

Out of Elsom, Moore, Mccabe and Guiteau, Guiteau has been by the far the most out of form (excluding Elsom's lack of ability to claim either way) Moore is a world class hooker that has really stood up in a losing team (i would like him captain of the brumbies next year) He has thrown well, which is more than you can say for Faingaa.. As for Mccabe and Anthony your guess is good as mine to why he is ahead of Anthony.. Maybe just Dean's likes him better or wants someone that runs it hard and will always draw one or two men which Anthony does as well.. Take Simmons as pay back for that cause Sharpe was playing good rugby as well

For all the pace in the SA backline, they are ruining it with Steyn at 10.
I would still go with Grant at outside half with Lambie coming on from the bench.
Steyn is too one-dimensional and James is an almost guaranteed card.

So i read somewhere it's raining 4 days straight in sydney and that it's going to be wet and muddy conditions...

is this some sort of joke??

If it's the case then it's going to be a kick-a-thon... if so, then the Boks will have the upper hand.

... Ah, the first TRF Shield game of the season :D

I predict that the combination of the Reds players coming in, the backlash from the Samoa loss, the home ground advantage, and the weakened Bok squad, will result in a win for the Wallabies, and a new TRF shield holder

As long as people don't blame the Springboks for making it rain, I am fine with it

Love how some people playing the prediction game didn't look at the teams and are suggesting players like De Villers will score.

Aussies by 20 if the half backs play like they do for the reds

Our rucks will get demolished Stegmann and Russouw will dominate them, while Pocock is the best 7 in the world with no support from the backrowers he will tire out quickly and then the Springboks will throw Deysel out and he will take the Rucks to a wholenuthaleveeeeeeel

Our rucks will get demolished Stegmann and Russouw will dominate them, while Pocock is the best 7 in the world with no support from the backrowers he will tire out quickly and then the Springboks will throw Deysel out and he will take the Rucks to a wholenuthaleveeeeeeel

I disagree. While Elsom isn't hitting to many breakdowns, the rest of the Australian forward pack is generally pretty mobile and strong at the breakdown. It is Stegmann in my opinion who will be without support at the breakdown (and it is not as though Stegmann is even that good at the breakdown!) - Johnson hits even less breakdowns than Elsom, while Rossouw's lack of mobility means the breakdown will likely be over before he even arrives! Australia have Beau Robinson on the bench and I wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson and Pocock playing in tandem latter in the game (which would only add to their breakdown domination).

Last edited:
I disagree. While Elsom isn't hitting to many breakdowns, the rest of the Australian forward pack is generally pretty mobile and strong at the breakdown. It is Stegmann in my opinion who will be without support at the breakdown (and it is not as though Stegmann is even that good at the breakdown!) - Johnson hits even less breakdowns than Elsom, while Rossouw's lack of mobility means the breakdown will likely be over before he even arrives! Australia have Beau Robinson on the bench and I wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson and Pocock playing in tandem latter in the game (which would only add to their breakdown domination).

Matt Hodgeson is on the bench this week not BeauBeau :(

Latest posts