• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Trouble brewing

I hope the Unions are understanding but, generally, we deal with people of real egotism.

Wow... Hypocrisy at its finest!!

The writer of the article, is he not supposed to make movies??

Its an interesting stance to take, but I can almost understand the rationale.

Obviously, there are certain contractual issues, such as those who have signed without warning of this, but if he's employing them (at significant cost, albeit not so "personal" a cost these days) and can legally implement this, then I'm not sure what the problem is. Players are, on the whole, grown up enough to understand the repercussions of their actions. Maybe not Manu or Dylan, but I'm not so sure they're on his radar...

English players can't be picked if they're at Toulon, nor can any ABs. Aussies and 'Boks are less likely to be picked (?), with all imports more often than not in the twighlight of their careers. The only real concern I would have is if he is effectively blocking domestic talent.

Why does he sign test players then? The douche just wants to have his cake and it eat. Toulon as a club has done some wonderful things but I have to say its president rubs me the wrong way.

Why does he sign test players then? The douche just wants to have his cake and it eat. Toulon as a club has done some wonderful things but I have to say its president rubs me the wrong way.

is he using a douche when he's rubbing you? lol!

Yeah I have to say with comments like that he's not going to get a lot of co-operation from NZ or SARU (if they get the centralized contracts system working) in future. He's basically saying that the players have to pick club or country, but not both.

I put the teabag in first then add boiling water and milk.

That's how I brew at least

Reading the topic now I would say why would any major stars want to play for them now? Other French teams give less hassle.

Reading the topic now I would say why would any major stars want to play for them now? Other French teams give less hassle.

The thing is, especially with regards to SA, that the French clubs, throw so much money at our players, that there is no way of them not accepting the offer. And a guy like Duane Vermeulen who still has a lot of time left to play for the Boks, would now be stuck between a rock and a hard place. As he's now only moving to Toulon after the World Cup, with the expectation of still being able to play for the Boks...

I'm a tea bag, milk then boiling water man myself. I am however considering a change to Mourad, boiling water and them tea bag. Only my balls will get milk.

Fairly sure this contradicts IRB sanctions.

Yeah, he is a total ****. It doesn't really effect All Blacks due to our own selection policy of not selecting overseas based players (which is one of the reason I think South Africa have made a big mistake, as they are now open to being held ransom).

People come up with arguments like "it makes sense if he is paying their wages". Well not really, no. He has to play by the same rules as every other club, which is that if you purchase international players, or one of the players you hire becomes good enough to be of the 30 or so players that joins their international team, that you risk losing them during the sanctioned windows. It isn't unfair - it is in fact what is good for rugby on a global level. Because he pays those players he doesn't own them, he has paid for their services which comes with predetermined and regulated conditions. If he doesn't like it, he should be purchasing guys like Drew Mitchell, Leigh Halfpenny, Matt Giteau.

He really comes off as a petulant tw*t..

Quelle surprise.

I think I said to you a while ago, Peat, that this sort of thing is going to happen after the RWC.

****'s going to get real over the next 4 years...

It appears Mourad Boudjellal has told his players that if they join their international tours at the end of next season, they'll be sacked.

Looks like the club vs country row might be about to come to a head...

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/22905/leigh-halfpenny-told-play-for-toulon-or-face-axe/

I hope common sense prevails knowing that the players, that they are, will get tons of offers, they play for their countries and Boudjellal's belligerence costs him dearly

This Moujad Whateverhisnameis is more full of wind and p¡ss than a barber's cat. If he carried through with his threats, he would be in direct breach of Wolrd Rugby Regulation 9.3

[TEXTAREA]REGULATION 9. AVAILABILITY OF PLAYERS
9.3 No Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club whether by contract, conduct or otherwise may inhibit, prevent, discourage, disincentivise or render unavailable any Player from selection, attendance and appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad session when such request for selection, attendance and appearance is made in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9. Any agreement and/or arrangement between a Player and a Rugby Body or Club or between a Union or an Association and a Rugby Body or Club (and/or any proposal made and/or attempted to be made howsoever communicated) which is contrary to this Regulation 9.3 is prohibited, including, but not limited to any agreement and/or arrangement and/or proposal pursuant to which a Player is (or would be) unable to exercise the right to play for a Union.[/TEXTAREA]

The consequences if he tried to do this would be that World Rugby could direct the FFR to suspend Toulon from the Top 14. I know some will say that LNR not FFR controls the Top 14, ultimately the FFR can make life very difficult for the LNR if they don't comply.

[TEXTAREA]REGULATION 2. COMPLIANCE WITH REGULATIONS
2.1 Compliance
2.1.1 A Union or Association is deemed to have full knowledge of the content of these Regulations. A Union or Association must ensure that it complies with these Regulations and must further ensure that it takes appropriate action to inform each and every one of its members of the terms of the Regulations and the obligation to comply with the same. The Board may from time to time issue guidelines in relation to the implementation of these Regulations. Any breach(es) of such guidelines may render a Union, Rugby Body, Club or Person responsible for such breach(es) liable to sanctions[/TEXTAREA]

It appears Mourad Boudjellal has told his players that if they join their international tours at the end of next season, they'll be sacked.

Looks like the club vs country row might be about to come to a head...

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/22905/leigh-halfpenny-told-play-for-toulon-or-face-axe/

Here we go again...Mourad mouthing off in the press - he can't help himself - and everyone falls for it...

He has never blocked the release of the internationals at his club. If he did, he would create a precedent. He would have to kiss goodbye to his ambitions and to signing more stars. If he does block a player it'll be the beginning of the end.

You guys should all be wishing in a way he puts his words where his big mouth is. Fatal mistake if he does.

Storm in a teacup compared to the current club v union war in this country- and we're long past the brewing stage.

- - - Updated - - -

The only real concern I would have is if he is effectively blocking domestic talent.

It's all benefit to other clubs. If local talent can't stay at Toulon then they go elsewhere. There's another 29 pro clubs to choose from, they just move on to another club. Toulon's loss is another club's gain.

We got Gael Fickou and Yohan Maestri from Toulon to name just these 2. We can't complain. Merci Toulon :)

I have to agree with the above you may have noticed hardly any French posters get too upset over our dear Mon.Boudjellal if its quiet he will throw something into the mixing pot and there is always some rugby paper will pick it up for a little sensationalism more in the UK than in France, i am a subscriber to Midi Olympique and we all see it all the time a little spilled milk........ as you guys are quoting your brewing habits. no more no less

This Moujad Whateverhisnameis is more full of wind and p¡ss than a barber's cat. If he carried through with his threats, he would be in direct breach of Wolrd Rugby Regulation 9.3

The consequences if he tried to do this would be that World Rugby could direct the FFR to suspend Toulon from the Top 14. I know some will say that LNR not FFR controls the Top 14, ultimately the FFR can make life very difficult for the LNR if they don't comply.
The FFR-LNR feckless tandem have at least one point in common with Mourad : they're also full of wind and ****.

They showed how toothless (even with Blanco the FFr vice-president thrown in the blue mix) they really were versus Clermont over the Lopez incident. http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/35187-The-recent-Lopez-saga?p=715565&viewfull=1#post715565

I agree, players just wont play for Toulon..

Ah so Boujadall is wrong to say that international players who play for his club cannot play for their countries. But international teams are ok not to select his players to play for their international teams!

No double standards there then!!!!

Listen I agree with @FREnch Fan and @ gaston Le gaff but there is some sort of double standards here surely!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah so Boujadall is wrong to say that international players who play for his club cannot play for their countries. But international teams are ok not to select his players to play for their international teams!

No double standards there then!!!!

Creationist-tier logic there.

Latest posts