• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Turnovers

G

Gay-Guy

I have a friend who has a slight edge on me at the moment and seems to have mastered the "turnover" perfectly....at certain times and ESPECIALLY when he is under pressure and really needs a turnover......he executes it perfectly. At the moment I still have not figured out how he does it.....just when I am hot on attack he will hold the ball in and turn it over.

Anyone have any ideas on the factors that are involved to get a successful turnover?

Keep on mind that you must not isolate your player when he makes a break, especially at wing.
If there is not support, the defense will recover the ball at 90%.

Yes I realise that holding onto possession is not guaranteed when you are OTL...however at times there are variables for that.

What I want to know is when THEY have the ball. How do you determine when to hold the ball in to get a scrum or to let go to get a turnover? My mate seems to know EXACTLY the mysterious factors involved for this. "Spawn" at the Welly Rugby Tournament in 06 also had a very good idea when to go for the turnover as well. On defence my mate most times will not put players in the ruck....however at certain times which only he seems to know when....he puts his boys into the ruck....holds the ball for a longer time....and to ball is turned over when he releases it or the ref calls a scrum. What gets me is that he never gets penalised...as if he knows when to go for it is going to be a penalty or not.

The only factors I can see happening is that when he goes for it....he piles in lots of players....then he holds onto it for a while....and either lets it go for a turnover to occur or holds on all the way waiting for the ref.

He did give me a hint by saying that if he tackles me out amongst the backs then he goes for it.

When I saw this thread about turnovers, all I could think was the apple and cinnamon type from McDonalds.......mmmmm.

Anyway, I'd be keen to know too. By the way GG, I have a monopoly on Rugby '08 down here. Both David and Andrew can't beat me with the best teams in the Super 14 when I have the reds.

Haha...you go you bully lol!

Anyway I just read that old thread about putting players into rucks on page two....I remember jawjawman giving HIS answer on how to do this....I even remeber giving him a rep point for it. However I played the game on a projector the next week and I could not see clearly the momentum bar so I didn't try it out...

My friends name is Doug. It was the last Christmas holidays when I went over to his place and they were all playing EARugby. After thrashing them they looked upon me as a god and were shocked at some of the things I had done and simply said "Teach me master". Now 12 months later he has become the master and I am the student and he knows this turnover secret PERFECTLY! Most people who do try it get it 50/50 including myself...but he seems to know WHEN it is on or not!

I think this is how it goes (haha...another theory to try out when I get my xbox back from Doug)

If you tackle them and they still have possession at the tackle BUT you have MORE players standing around, pile as many of your players in.

Hold onto the ball before their halfback turns up to pass it out.

Watch the ruck momentum gage

When it peaks FOR YOU...then release the ball holding and try hands in the ruck.

Oh well if this works then YAAAAY!!!!! If this doesn't then the search for the holy grail will continue and you will probably get penalised and either have a guy sent off or get a kick twards your 5 metre line or both lol!

yeah its pretty random, even when the momentum is with my team when i rapidly press X and hold R3, it seems 50/50 that i'll get the scrum or if i let go, i will cause a turnover. However this works better sometimes, on 2player mode. I think maybe body positioning of the tackled player? lol

yeah its pretty random, even when the momentum is with my team when i rapidly press X and hold R3, it seems 50/50 that i'll get the scrum or if i let go, i will cause a turnover. However this works better sometimes, on 2player mode. I think maybe body positioning of the tackled player? lol [/b]

I don't think it is random because my mate seems to know when its on and when it is not. He seems to have a better gage on when to go for it and when not to......it is like he is one of the EA programmers and knows what is required to make it work and when you can do it.

It is such a pity that EA did not give us a better clue as to what the variables are to make this manual turning over of the ball happen....nor did they tell us what the variables were to hold onto possession.

I think maybe body positioning of the tackled player? lol [/b]

Actually you could be onto something there as he said once that he knows when an automatic turnover will occur if you tackle them from "behind".....I dunno if he as talking crap or what....gee...the guy might be a genius!

i will definately be following this thread with a keen eye. [/b]

Well I am scheduled to play him tomorrow (which will be in 6 mins haha) and I will keep an eye out on how he does things and what he is doing. Well thats if he can pick me up as I am letting my woman take my car to go up north.

There is actually VIDEO FOOTAGE of Spawn doing the turnover technique on the internet if I remember. There was a video of that 2006 Welly tournament practice game between me and Spawn where Spawn turns the ball over from me TWICE! Unfortunately I cannot see the momentum gage on the video to see what happened when he turned the ball over...on the field all you can see is alot of players from his side entering the ruck before the turnover. There is also evidence of Spawn trying to turn me over and failing to do so.....with me getting the ball and having an overlap obviously to score the last try. So Spawn is trying quite a bit to turnover all over the place. However it never resulted in a penalty with him so he also had a good idea on how it was done. Perhaps if the resolution of the video was better we could see the momentum bar...anyway...only Danny has the original footage.

Well I get the feeling that if this secret is discovered then never again will a good player get a chance to ambush and defeat an exceptional player.....with all my skills Doug simply turns the ball over whenever I am hot on attack on his line....its like I have one shot to make the touchdown.....if I get tackled then I have missed it!

I have also seen counter rucking done by the "teacher" and others back in the early days of R2006. I have also been thinking of other things that the person going into the tackle with the ball could do to free the ball up quicker by following the momentum gage and doing "hands in the ruck" when it peaks for them. Yes my meeting with Doug could be a revelation for all EARugby people around the world regarding this holy grail!

When I saw this thread about turnovers, all I could think was the apple and cinnamon type from McDonalds.......mmmmm.

Anyway, I'd be keen to know too. By the way GG, I have a monopoly on Rugby '08 down here. Both David and Andrew can't beat me with the best teams in the Super 14 when I have the reds. [/b]

:vicecham: ...how's Fifa been treating you GG, still getting the odd game in?

<div class='quotemain'> When I saw this thread about turnovers, all I could think was the apple and cinnamon type from McDonalds.......mmmmm.

Anyway, I'd be keen to know too. By the way GG, I have a monopoly on Rugby '08 down here. Both David and Andrew can't beat me with the best teams in the Super 14 when I have the reds. [/b]

:vicecham: ...how's Fifa been treating you GG, still getting the odd game in?

[/b][/quote]

Haha...yeah sometimes I play.....but Fifa isn't really big here in South Auckland amongst my mates which is a pity. They just want to run and smash and all sorts....I am on a Fifa buzz all by myself here...sad.

Must admit that was a very fun side comp we had, good to see everyones competitiveness flowed into other codes :)

Am loving Fifa 08, so much so I can't remember when I last played rugby on Craigs ps3...

The old camera angle in 06 used to change witht he turnover. the angle would change after the tackle but before players added to the ruck. Judging by the way players line up in 08 i'd say it's the same mechanism but the option of adding players in can sometimes get you a turnover from "counterrucking" if you are lucky or your opponent slow.

I think the factors affecting keeping possession are mainly the proximity of each teams players and their rucking stat plus ball winning skill.

None of this helps with the killing the ball scenario though which seems random to me, but it may be that it is related to strength of players if it's rucks set up by backs that don't get penalised.

It's no big secret really but its a bit of a cheap so I try not use it on anyone because there's no defence against it.

Your mate pretty much told you how to do it when he said its when he tackles your backline. Go have a try I'm sure your find it funny how easy it is once you find out how to do it.

maybe its a time thing. as in time between each time you try to keep hands in the ruck. every time i play a mate i hold on to the ball for a while till me defence gets set again then release befor i get penalised. every now and then when i need to i keep my hands in the ruck and it turns the ball over i never get penilised. i only do it maybe three times a game. sometimes after holding it in and releasing they cant even pass it out and it goes to a scrum. i dont know why but am also trying to figure it out. hopefully this helps a little bit.

maybe its a time thing. as in time between each time you try to keep hands in the ruck. every time i play a mate i hold on to the ball for a while till me defence gets set again then release befor i get penalised. every now and then when i need to i keep my hands in the ruck and it turns the ball over i never get penilised. i only do it maybe three times a game. sometimes after holding it in and releasing they cant even pass it out and it goes to a scrum. i dont know why but am also trying to figure it out. hopefully this helps a little bit. [/b]

Ok after playing my mate Doug a bit pretty much what you explained K Pac is the ay how it goes.....almost.

Doug says there is a time to go for it. He says that everytime he makes a tackle he presses the join ruck button a few times very quickly and then holds the ball in...this is done very quickly because he needs to get to the holding of the ball button before they pass it out.

He then WATCHES the animation to see if his players are piling into the ruck more than the opposition and if they are doing it quicker. If his players are taking their time and just standing there......then he gears up to let the ball go and defend another movement. If however the players are joining the ruck quickly then he continues to hold the ball in and uses his other hand to push the join the ruck button to get everyone in. Then he lets it go and clicks it again to use the hands in the ruck action. This he believes causes a turnover....HOWEVER....he believes it is also helped by a few other factors.

- a tackle made out in the backline

- when he is defending heavily on his own line

- when the opposition are trying to clear from their own line

Basically Doug says that after a few hundred thousand penalties you get the hang of when it does not work....very much like when you have possession....you know that getting tackled in certain places will make you hold or lose possession. Doug reckons that it is simply EXPERIENCE and learning to sense when you can do it or not....and that the best way to learn when it works or not is to do it at EVERY ruck. Eventually after being penalised a few million times you learn from the times you DO actually turn over how and when it does work....you just have to go through a whole lot of penalties trying to find when the hotspots happen. He says that after a while you will see a similar pattern happening with the times it does work and be able to recognise it and therfore go for it. you will also know when it is not going to happen and therefore let go of the ball and get ready to defend the next movement.

Are you talking about the turnover where your on the defensive tackle than the ball ends up being unplayable but you get the scrum feed?

It isn't necesary to pile players into the ruck because in certain situations like isolating a back I just hold R3 or whatever button it is than you'll get the scrum feed and sometimes its only 1 of my players against 3.

But this is just 1 of many situations you can get the defensive tackle scrum feed there are alot of others but the only way to figure them out is to get the feel of it when playing the game.

do different team (like NZ vs Russia) and difficulty have effect on this turnover thing? surely it does? You haven't mentioned anything on the ruck power bar thing, which i never take notice because it seems unnecessary to.

The ruck power gauge plays a role in who's got possesion of the ball at the time and sometimes it peaks and if you time it right and click R3 you can take possesion away from the opposing player.

The turnover talked about on this thread I think is the one where you just finish tackling a player than hold R3 and the ball is made unplayable but you get the scrum feed instead of getting pinged with a penalty for killing the ball.