• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

*TUTORIAL* How to install multiple Rugby '08 MODs

F

Fa'atau82

Hey guys,

I had a big breakthrough today which will blow Rugby 08 and Rugby 06 wide open so you can play any mod you desire at any time without overwriting other mods.

Up to this point, we have only managed to be able to play one mod at a time, so MUP users can't use another patch like Air NZ Cup, Currie Cup or Sanzar because they overwrite the files (unless you have figured this already)

But now, here is an easy way to play all the mods. I am looking into a .bat file to make more of an install type thing rather than manual, but what we will do below is what the .bat will do, i just haven't made it yet.

So, here is how to do it..

BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING, make a backup of your directory. Put it on a CD or something secure and safe. I will not be responsible for files being overwritten/damaged/lost if you do not.

1. Copy the Audio, Data and Support files from the main directory EA Sports™ Rugby 08 to a new folder.

2. Then copy the files from whichever mod you want into that folder, lets say MUP for example. You only need the patched files

3. Make a quick notepad file or blank folder with the name of the patch (MUP), so if you go into the directory, it will tell you what the files are. It's best put at the top of the page so you can see it.

4. Rename the original directory with an extra letter to something like EA Sports™ Rugby 08x

5. Rename the new folder you just made to the default directory name EA Sports™ Rugby 08.

6. Play the game and load roster, in this case MUP. The game will only load a directory called EA Sports™ Rugby 08. So simply, if you have a directory called EA Sports™ Rugby 08 it will load it by default, the point being is that you can add patches into it.

You can repeat this trick as many times as you like, but obviously it will use more memory.

So it works like this..

Make 3 other directories and label them.

EA Sports™ Rugby 08a
EA Sports™ Rugby 08b
EA Sports™ Rugby 08c
EA Sports™ Rugby 08d

You have 4 directories. a= MUP, b= sanzar, c= s14, d= default game

Simply take away the letter from the directory you want to play with to use it.

I highly recommend labelling a notepad file inside the directories which will tell you what one it is, so you could just have a notepad file with MUP, SANZAR, S14 and ORIG in their respective directories.

Eventually .bat files will fix this manual issue and it'll do all this automatically when you click on a .bat file.

Vista sucks. That is why i always try things manually. But i have found a way and it works. That is all i care about! I care about making it better if i can, but for the moment.. mission accomplished.

haha, i'm always the last one to go to the new technologies!

What is this new fangled thing you call, vbscript?

visual basic, not virtual.

but much better and much much much more powerful than the good old batch files.

Well, all i'd need this 'program' to do is to rename a directory folder from 'EA SPORTS™ RUGBY 08x' to 'EA SPORTS™ RUGBY 08' and then after the game finishes, it renames it self back to 'EA SPORTS™ RUGBY 08x'.

My plan was to have .bat files for individual mods and you click on the specific .bat that relates to the mod you want to use. I have no comprehension of VBscript. As you suggested it woosaah, can you give me some tips/pointers?

If your really desperate i could probably make a program that would do this for you. Just a simple executable that would load up. you could chose which one you wanted to play. click run it would open up the one you want. when you exit the program it would revert it back to the right one.

Thats how i would do it anyway.

Let me know if you want one for this and ill see what i can do starting next week :)

Cheers woosaah, that'd be ace. Do you need anything from me?

I have to have a directory for each 'mod' so the files are seperated, and it's much safer to just rename a folder than overwrite/delete files. So basically, i need something that can find a directory name (EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08LEGEND and others like EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08MUP, EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08SANZAR etc) and then rename it to the original directory name EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08 so the game loads it as the primary and returns it back to EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08LEGEND/'EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08MUP/EA SPORTSâ"¢ RUGBY 08SANZAR after the game.

Does that make sense? It might be easier to make one for each mod folder so it works on just the one folder only. You can then use any of the programs to run a specific mod.

I'm trying to explain this so i don't confuse you.

The only advantage of a batch file over something coded used vb is if someone didn't have the .net framework installed (but then they couldn't use most the editors anyway).
I used batch files for non-replacing add-ons in BLIC2005 but, as woosaah says, it's dead easy to do in .net.
Here's the code I wrote for the R08 ref kit changer (did I ever release that?) to show you the format: (I know that putting imports system.io at the start would have saved me some typing!)

Code:
If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitfront) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitfront)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitback) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitback)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitfrontWC) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitfrontWC)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitbackWC) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitbackWC)
        Select Case cboKitType.SelectedIndex
            Case 0 'Play now
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\PlayNow\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\PlayNow\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 1 'World Cup
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\WorldCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfrontWC)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\WorldCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitbackWC)
            Case 2 'Six Nations
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\SixNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\SixNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 3 'Tri Nations
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\TriNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\TriNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 4 'Top 14
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Top14\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Top14\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 5 'Guinness Premiership
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Premiership\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Premiership\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 6 'Heineken Cup
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\EuroCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\EuroCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
        End Select

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingwilko @ Aug 31 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only advantage of a batch file over something coded used vb is if someone didn't have the .net framework installed (but then they couldn't use most the editors anyway).
I used batch files for non-replacing add-ons in BLIC2005 but, as woosaah says, it's dead easy to do in .net.
Here's the code I wrote for the R08 ref kit changer (did I ever release that?) to show you the format: (I know that putting imports system.io at the start would have saved me some typing!)

Code:
If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitfront) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitfront)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitback) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitback)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitfrontWC) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitfrontWC)
        If IO.File.Exists(strR08path & refkitbackWC) Then IO.File.Delete(strR08path & refkitbackWC)
        Select Case cboKitType.SelectedIndex
            Case 0 'Play now
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\PlayNow\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\PlayNow\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 1 'World Cup
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\WorldCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfrontWC)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\WorldCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitbackWC)
            Case 2 'Six Nations
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\SixNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\SixNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 3 'Tri Nations
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\TriNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\TriNations\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 4 'Top 14
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Top14\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Top14\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 5 'Guinness Premiership
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Premiership\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\Premiership\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
            Case 6 'Heineken Cup
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\EuroCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".big", strR08path & refkitfront)
                IO.File.Copy(strAppPath & "kits\EuroCup\kit" & kitnumber & ".fsh", strR08path & refkitback)
        End Select
[/b]

I'm pretty sure you didn't release the R08 ref kit changer,not that I know of in anycase...But good to see that you're again Colin :cheers:

Fa'atau,

Just having a thought... you on msn? you added me or anything? lol i have to many people on there anyway...

Have a different idea, instead of having multiple copies of the game (some people have limited storage capacity and cant afford to use gigs and gigs of space for rugby game lol)

I might just make a program that you can use for this general idea... I might just work on it now :)

I don't install copies of the game, just the patched files in several directories. I see the problem of using over 1GB for a directory, but that was my solution for my problem.

If you can do any better then by all means give it a go and enhance your already legendary status! I welcome you to try, it'd be massively grateful to this community if we got a proper solution. I just haven't got the skills needed for that type of thing yet.

You can add me to msn on [email protected]. I'll keep a look out.

Okay so what i have found is an easier way to access more than one mod version of the game... so ill use 2 folders as examples both of which are fa'atau's MUP mod and the SANZAR mod

1. Make a copy of the original directory of Rugby 08 and rename it, Make sure that both directories have a rugby08.exe in each folder

eg. copy EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 in C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\ and rename the original EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 MUP and the copy EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 SANZAR

2. Un-rar the MUP files into the EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 MUP folder and the SANZAR Patch files into the EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 SANZAR folder

3. Now that they both are set up right click on the rugby08.exe in EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 MUP folder and click send to Desktop(Create Shortcut) and rename it MUP Rugby 08

4. Right click on rugby08.exe in EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 SANZAR folder and create a shortcut on the desktop also and rename it SANZAR Rugby 08

So now you should have 2 Shortcuts on your Desktop...

one which is MUP Rugby 08, Destination should be "C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 MUP\Rugby08.exe"
and the other SANZAR Rugby 08, Target Location "C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS\EA SPORTS™ Rugby 08 SANZAR\Rugby08.exe"

So you could just make more like that creating more shortcuts....
Thats what worked for me so i hope this helps everyone out....

Latest posts