• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Two more Pumas for the Super14?

M

Melhor Time

According to several sources the next big Argentine playmaker, Santiago Fernandez (4 test caps), is being targetd by a number of big teams in Europe and in the Super 14 too. 2009 Currie Cup strugglers Boland are after him and former Agen (France) hooker Eusebio Guinzu too. The site below incorrectly lists him as a prop.

If Fernandez goes it is for the Super 14 and Currie CUp according to a leading source in the Spanish language. This would mean two Argentina flyhalves in 5 South African Super 14 teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Four international players are involved in negotiations with the Boland Rugby Union and it is believed that all of them are keen to play their rugby in the Western Cape.

Among them are two Argentinians. Prop Eusebio Guinazu, who is also at home at hooker, has played over 20 Test matches for the Pumas, while 23-year-old Santiago Fernandez - a flyhalf or centre - made his Test debut last year and has already represented Argentina in four Test matches. It is also believed that Fernandez is keen to make his mark in Super 14 rugby.[/b]

from sarugby.com

If he values his career he should not go to Boland! Boland fall under the Stormers for the S14 and he will get very little game time imo, as he is not a WP player. Perhaps SARU is behind this and is trying to spread quality players around instead of just the 5 traditional strong teams being competitive. The Cheetahs have a shortage of 10's with JL Potgieter moving to the Bulls (stupid move on his part imo) so maybe he should look there as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 30 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If he values his career he should not go to Boland! Boland fall under the Stormers for the S14 and he will get very little game time imo, as he is not a WP player. Perhaps SARU is behind this and is trying to spread quality players around instead of just the 5 traditional strong teams being competitive. The Cheetahs have a shortage of 10's with JL Potgieter moving to the Bulls (stupid move on his part imo) so maybe he should look there as well.[/b]

Or he could head down to Melbourne, they are going to need every player they can get their hands on ;) Note I believe the whole hand wringing carry on with the other Saffa side is bollock as Melbourne was pretty much pre-ordained by Mein Fuhrer JON.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 29 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If he values his career he should not go to Boland! Boland fall under the Stormers for the S14 and he will get very little game time imo, as he is not a WP player. Perhaps SARU is behind this and is trying to spread quality players around instead of just the 5 traditional strong teams being competitive. The Cheetahs have a shortage of 10's with JL Potgieter moving to the Bulls (stupid move on his part imo) so maybe he should look there as well.[/b]

Fernandez dominated Peter Grant in Emergring Sprongboks vs Argentina A in 2007. He absolutely dominanted him. The game was in Romania and RSA's 100% pro team were losing for the first 60 minutes. If Santiago Fernandez plays for the Stormers then Grant won't be 10.

But, like Jethro says, Melbourne would like him!

As I understand a Super 14 deal may be announced in November.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Oct 30 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 29 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fernandez dominated Peter Grant in Emergring Sprongboks vs Argentina A in 2007. He absolutely dominanted him. The game was in Romania and RSA's 100% pro team were losing for the first 60 minutes. If Santiago Fernandez plays for the Stormers then Grant won't be 10.

[/b][/quote]

2007 might be all well and good but Peter Grant and WP beat the Sharks and the 1st choice Arg playmaker in Hernandez twice in 2009 so I'm a bit confused... Anyway, my first choice pivot for the Stormers is still Willem de Waal, though i know he is not a popular guy and getting on in years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Melhor Time @ Oct 30 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 29 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

2007 might be all well and good but Peter Grant and WP beat the Sharks and the 1st choice Arg playmaker in Hernandez twice in 2009 so I'm a bit confused... Anyway, my first choice pivot for the Stormers is still Willem de Waal, though i know he is not a popular guy and getting on in years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 29 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 30 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or he could head down to Melbourne, they are going to need every player they can get their hands on ;) Note I believe the whole hand wringing carry on with the other Saffa side is bollock as Melbourne was pretty much pre-ordained by Mein Fuhrer JON.
[/b][/quote]

When does the new team start competeing?

Latest posts