T Kennedy (St Mary’s/Leinster),
P Kiernan (UCC/Munster),
R Lyttle (QUB/Ulster),
J McPhillips (QUB/Ulster),
C O’Brien (Clontarf/Leinster),
J O’Brien (UCD/Leinster),
J Poland (Cork Constitution/Munster),
J Power (UCD/Leinster),
J Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster).

I'm not too familiar with the players but apparently the pack is much bigger than the usual Ireland U20 packs.

Don't know much about this Irish age group. From what I've seen Andrew Porter, Conan O'Donnell, James Ryan, Max Deegan and Jacob Stockdale appear to be good prospects. I've heard good things about Robert Lyttle and John Poland too.

Thought Arnold was eligible to return?

Anyway, the Ulster players all seem decent punts for something bigger. Lyttle and McPhilips both eligible next year I believe. McPhilips was part of a pretty decent England U18 schools team last year and has been doing fairly well for the Ravens at 10, hopefully he gets some time so I can see what he's about.

Thought Arnold was eligible to return?

Anyway, the Ulster players all seem decent punts for something bigger. Lyttle and McPhilips both eligible next year I believe. McPhilips was part of a pretty decent England U18 schools team last year and has been doing fairly well for the Ravens at 10, hopefully he gets some time so I can see what he's about.

Given he was 18 last year he's definitely eligible, I imagine Ulster wouldn't release him.

I wouldn't have said it's an overly massive group, though I suppose our standards aren't that high. They're certainly not as big as the 2012 team.

Conan O'Donnell, James Ryan and Jacob Stockdale would be the main players I'm looking out but there are certainly a few out there with the potential to stand out.

On a personal note I'm delight for Terry Kennedy, I don't know if he'll get much gametime given the strength of the back three but he's a very exciting player and a good guy.

EDIT: Scottish squad: http://www.fifteenrugby.com/scotland-u20-exile-heavy-squad-named-for-pre-6-nations-training-camp/

English squad: http://www.englandrugby.com/news/england-u20-name-elite-player-squad/

Last edited:
I'm not sure he's fit at the moment either. Wouldn't be surprising if we wanted Stockdale back too.

Ireland U20 (v Wales, Friday 5 February 2016)
15. Jack Power (UCD / Leinster)*
14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure / Leinster)*
13. Shane Daly (Cork Con / Munster)*
12. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD / Leinster)*
11. Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster)*
10. Johnny McPhillips (QUB / Ulster)*
9. John Poland (Cork Con / Munster)*
1. Andrew Porter (UCD / Leinster)
2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster)
3. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo / Connacht)
4. Peter Claffey (Galwegians / Connacht)*
5. James Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster)* Captain
6. Cillian Gallagher (Sligo / Connacht)*
7. Will Connors (UCD / Leinster)*
8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster)*
Replacements:
16. Shane Fenton (Young Munster / Munster)*
17. James Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster)*
18. Conor Kenny (Buccaneers / Connacht)*
19. Sean O'Connor (Cashel / Munster)*
20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon / Munster)*
21. Stephen Kerins (Sligo / Connacht)*
22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons)*
23. Conor O'Brien (Clontarf / Leinster)*

According to paddypower.

England -16pts away to Scotland
France -38pts home to Italy
Ireland -6pts home to Wales

Looking forward to see how Owen Watkin get's on with the U20's. He looked sharp in last season's U20's, and he's has a couple of very impressive outings for the Ospreys recently. He's a decent lump, but has shown great footwork and an eye for a gap. His burst from his own try-line last week v Glasgow was very impressive.

Looking forward to see how Owen Watkin get's on with the U20's. He looked sharp in last season's U20's, and he's has a couple of very impressive outings for the Ospreys recently. He's a decent lump, but has shown great footwork and an eye for a gap. His burst from his own try-line last week v Glasgow was very impressive.

He looks a good player alright. I saw him a few weeks back in the pro12.

Many Welsh U20s with pro 12 experience?

He looks a good player alright. I saw him a few weeks back in the pro12.

Many Welsh U20s with pro 12 experience?

A few, but not too many from what I can tell.

Dillon Lewis has been getting plenty of game time for the Blues recently, looks decent. The tighthead on the bench, Leon Brown, has been talked up by everyone recently it seems, but unsure if he's made his Dragons debut yet, big things expected of him. I think the captain Tom Phillips has played a few times for the Scarlets.

In the backs, Dan Jones has played a number of games for the Scarlets (I think, it's a bit of a common name though), as has Jarrod Evans for the Blues.

There may be more that I'm missing.

I don't know as much about this crop as I usually do. Someone else may be better informed than me.

Heard that The welsh 10 got away with a dive that would make robin proud and the ref carded the Irish player.

Last edited:
Heard that The welsh 10 got away with a dive that would make robbed proud and the ref carded the Irish player.

Dont think he dived but it was a farcical decision to bin him. Barely a penalty

Heard that The welsh 10 got away with a dive that would make robin proud and the ref carded the Irish player.

He did dive. Scandalous decision but it was made by the TMO. Had little baring on the result though.

Both sides have good groups. The Welsh a little more organised and cohesive than Ireland. Good game.

He did dive. Scandalous decision but it was made by the TMO. Had little baring on the result though.

Both sides have good groups. The Welsh a little more organised and cohesive than Ireland. Good game.

Ah give over, never a dive. Not a penalty or card though.

Latest posts