• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20 6 Nations 2017- Stars of the Future: If there's grass on the pitch play ball

England going for three slams and our misfiring mens side are the only ones capable of stopping one... Christ I'm envious of your system!

The youth system is amazing at the moment . We have been in 6 of the last 7 World Cup finals and won 3 of the last 4 . Ratsapprentice seems to think this is one of the best teams we have had too ... he's rarely wrong when talking about this level

If there's one thing rats knows it's young men in short shorts getting all sweaty.

I had nothing to do with the disappearance of Jonny Gosch and any insinuation to that effect will be challenged by my lawyer.

I had nothing to do with the disappearance of Jonny Gosch and any insinuation to that effect will be challenged by my lawyer.

Is this the lawyer straight out of Trump school of outright denial, deflection and alternative facts?

Ireland team. Match is starting at 6 tonight. Hopefully the weather isn't too ****e.

15. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
14. Tommy O'Brien (UCD RFC / Leinster)
13. Gavin Mullin (UCD RFC / Leinster)
12. Ciaran Frawley (UCD RFC / Leinster)
11. Calvin Nash (Young Munster / Munster) Captain
10. Bill Johnston (Garryowen / Munster)
9. Jonny Stewart (Queen's University / Ulster)

1. Joey Conway (UL Bohemians / Munster)
2. Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
3. Charlie Connolly (Dublin University / Leinster)
4. Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster / Munster)
5. Oisin Dowling (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
6. John Foley (Shannon RFC / Munster)*
7. Paul Boyle (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College / Leinster)

Replacements
16. Ronan Kelleher (UCD / Leinster)
17. Greg McGrath (Lansdowne / Leinster)*
18. Matthew Burke (Corinthians / Connacht)
19. Jack Regan (UCD RFC / Leinster)
20. Gavin Coombes (Young Munster / Munster)
21. Jack Stafford (Shannon / Munster)*
22. Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon RFC / Munster)
23. Colm Hogan (Dublin University / Munster)

Ireland team. Match is starting at 6 tonight. Hopefully the weather isn't too ****e.

15. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
14. Tommy O'Brien (UCD RFC / Leinster)
13. Gavin Mullin (UCD RFC / Leinster)
12. Ciaran Frawley (UCD RFC / Leinster)
11. Calvin Nash (Young Munster / Munster) Captain
10. Bill Johnston (Garryowen / Munster)
9. Jonny Stewart (Queen's University / Ulster)

1. Joey Conway (UL Bohemians / Munster)
2. Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
3. Charlie Connolly (Dublin University / Leinster)
4. Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster / Munster)
5. Oisin Dowling (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
6. John Foley (Shannon RFC / Munster)*
7. Paul Boyle (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College / Leinster)

Replacements
16. Ronan Kelleher (UCD / Leinster)
17. Greg McGrath (Lansdowne / Leinster)*
18. Matthew Burke (Corinthians / Connacht)
19. Jack Regan (UCD RFC / Leinster)
20. Gavin Coombes (Young Munster / Munster)
21. Jack Stafford (Shannon / Munster)*
22. Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon RFC / Munster)
23. Colm Hogan (Dublin University / Munster)
Lovely all weather pitch (which believe it or not was actually christened by yours truly a few years back), so no worry of weather. Hate to be a negative nelly, but whatever about the game tomorrow we haven't a hope against the Roided, hit puberty in the womb, went professional at 4 years of age English team. They're just too good and probably will be dominant at this level for quite some time. Think they'll defend their JRWC ***le this year too.

GH - you might want to find some fresher bait - that stuff's so rotten you wouldn't even find a Scandewegian to eat it.

Lovely all weather pitch (which believe it or not was actually christened by yours truly a few years back), so no worry of weather. Hate to be a negative nelly, but whatever about the game tomorrow we haven't a hope against the Roided, hit puberty in the womb, went professional at 4 years of age English team. They're just too good and probably will be dominant at this level for quite some time. Think they'll defend their JRWC ***le this year too.

I'm optimistic that we've a chance of an upset or at least give them a rattle for 60 min. I'd agree though that their physicality will make things tough, at the breakdown especially.

I've been impressed with the Irish team so far. I'd say they're not far off last years side that did well in the U20 world championship.

I'm optimistic that we've a chance of an upset or at least give them a rattle for 60 min. I'd agree though that their physicality will make things tough, at the breakdown especially.

I've been impressed with the Irish team so far. I'd say they're not far off last years side that did well in the U20 world championship.

Until they were annihilated by England ;)

I'm optimistic that we've a chance of an upset or at least give them a rattle for 60 min. I'd agree though that their physicality will make things tough, at the breakdown especially. I've been impressed with the Irish team so far. I'd say they're not far off last years side that did well in the U20 world championship.
I don't think we can do much, the pack has lost a lot from last year where it was our main strength. Maybe this side's backline with last year's pack we'd be on England's level but the English number advantage has been showing at this level for some years now and only becoming bigger by the looks of this side.

GH - you might want to find some fresher bait - that stuff's so rotten you wouldn't even find a Scandewegian to eat it.
Hey they were compliments! I'm being hyperbolic, but mainly referencing how your players (and Wales normally) are professionally conditioned and trained in academies at a younger age than our guys who usually bloom a bit after they leave school , except maybe in Leinster's top schools where the conditioning is rapidly approaching professional at a pretty young age. Also we seem to have a real deficiency at scrum time here because we have a 1.5 meter push and stop rule here at schools and underage level which really doesn't expose props to an appropriate level of scrummaging. Not that I see this as a long term problem, because our future pro players will then be exposed to very competitive academies and our AIL club tournament which is pretty unforgiving if a player proves to be too light or technically poor.
It is changing though, our guys are getting ready a lot quicker, but we have a very undersized pack this year, but some very talented backs that have me excited. You can especially see it in guys who have spent upwards a year out of school and have already made the academies or play AIL regularly. This tournament is a really valuable tool for guys to put their hand up for academy spots though. Will watch tonight with interest. I think a good batch of these guys will make it as top pros.
England were by some distance the best 20s side in the world last year, and will be this year again. It's a great test for the lads, result aside.

HMmmmmm - I'm unconvinced, it looks far too much like the sterotype that England's junior players are simply bigger than all their opponents; which hasn't been true for at least a decade now, but still get trotted out at every J6N and every JRWC.

HMmmmmm - I'm unconvinced, it looks far too much like the sterotype that England's junior players are simply bigger than all their opponents; which hasn't been true for at least a decade now, but still get trotted out at every J6N and every JRWC.
I did nae say bigger, but conditioned. Rather, more professional and better prepared to be pro athletes at a younger age. Rugby as a career has been a real reality for them for a couple of years, whereas most of these guys are only shortly out of school and have only been affiliated with a province on a really rare exhibition basis, and have had less time in an academy environment, which is huge in turning raw talent into actual rugby ability and ironing out their games.
That's not me bemoaning anything, it says that your youth system is excellent, well funded and clearly identifying talent at a young age, but raw talent and athletic ability aside it's an indication of where England's dominance at this level right now and in years to come is coming from.

There are some very useful individuals in the Irish side but perhaps there isn't much strength in depth. Jordan Larmour and Tommy O'Brien have impressed in the backline. Calvin Nash, Bill Johnston and Jonny Stewart are highly rated. Up front, Caelan Doris has been the pick of the players thus far. Fineen Wycherley has played Pro 12 for Munster which is an impressive feat given their second row options. Have liked the look of Charlie Connolly too.

Fancy England to win by quite a margin today though.

I know Leinster & Munster historically produce more players, but wow, one from Ulster & one from Connacht! Is this usual?

I'm guessing that with central contracts the IRFU spread that talent around going forwards?

I know Leinster & Munster historically produce more players, but wow, one from Ulster & one from Connacht! Is this usual?

I'm guessing that with central contracts the IRFU spread that talent around going forwards?
Ehhhh no not really, but both of our academies are doing the business recently. Ulster you would expect to have more, but McPhillips and Lyttle would be there if not injured. Connacht on the balance of history have never produced many at this level as they get a lot of their players from other provinces (take Healy, Adeolokun, Carty, Buckley, Ronaldson and many more as an example), but they've been doing better in recent years... before now.
IRFU can't spread a thing without the player feeling like it. Plenty of deals have failed to be brokered, but yes ideally the talent will be spread a bit. Connacht got a few of our guys this season during their injury crisis.

Last edited:
Ehhhh no not really, but both of our academies are doing the business recently. Ulster you would expect to have more, but McPhillips and Lyttle would be there if not injured. Connacht on the balance of history have never produced many at this level as they get a lot of their players from other provinces (take Healy, Adeolokun, Carty, Buckley, Ronaldson and many more as an example), but they've been doing better in recent years... before now.
IRFU can't spread a thing without the player feeling like it. Plenty of deals have failed to be brokered, but yes ideally the talent will be spread a bit. Connacht got a few of our guys this season during their injury crisis.
Doubt McPhillips would have started ahead of Bill Johnston. Rob Lyttle would be in the team on the wing. No 8 Doris is originally from Connacht. Cillian Gallagher is an excellent prospect from Connacht who's currently injured.

Latest posts