• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20s Six Nations

Hadn't copped David Humphreys son is in the squad. If he's anywhere near the player his Dad was we'll be flying, reckon Humps was more suited to modern rugby than his own era.

Reading the quotes from our coach it would seem Christ just hasn't been picked. Very odd. He must've been way below the other locks in training or something else has gone on.

Or they are going to give everyone a chance and it's his turn to sit out the first game ?

Or they are going to give everyone a chance and it's his turn to sit out the first game ?
Yeah possibly, though you'd imagine you'd lead with your strongest side first game and to not even be on the bench would suggest, to me, he's either not rated that much, he's not 100% fit or something has gone on we don't know about. As you say, though, could just be that everyone is going to be spend a game out of the squad and it's Christ's turn first up.

Lots of other things to look forward too though. Like the sound of Deaves and Harri Williams and quite a few others.

Can't remember if it's the 6N or Junior World Cup (maybe both) but there's a rule that everyone has to start at least one game - so could be

To be fair even if he's trained with Wales this week I wouldn't be surprised if he's with Exeter atm as injury cover

So French guy shoves the English guy in the back and that's fine but getting shoved from the front in response is a penalty...?

French blockers also weaving all over the field and looking over their shoulder the whole time, it's not even subtle.

I didn't see any issues with the reversal, retaliation always used to be more harshly punished. Agree about the blockers though, it was so blatant that the ref giving penalties would have been doing them a favour as a lesson in subtlety.

I missed most of the first half, but I thought JVP was excellent in the second.

The Wales Italy game was pretty poor, in both skill level and discipline. Both teams were what is best described as petulant. So many silly penalties given away and the stupid grappling going on, ref got tired of that and then just decided to penalise everyone for everything. Neither team could gain any momentum and it was a very scrappy game as a result. The result definitely flatters Wales, Italy looked like they had a bit more in attack although Wales' defence did look comfortable times, 2nd half seemed Wales seemed to get on the better side of the ref which won them the game. (Final penalty count was 19 Italy - 15 Wales!!!) As for Wales' actual performance it was not great, they looked like a team that hasn't played in a year. Structure often breaking down with players running incorrect lines, poor handling, passes which should have been caught dropped or a lot of terrible passes which either killed momentum or made a player knock it on, plenty of promising attacks killed off by a runner getting isolated or an inaccurate clear out. You could probably count on one had the amount of times that the Wales backs got decent quick ball but even when they did poor passing killed the opportunity.
There were a few positives though kicking from 9 and 10 was decent, good box kicks that were contestable and Costelow often finding space with his kicks from hand. Deaves the 7 played very well, making lots of tackles and turnovers. Despite trying his best to get carded, the loosehead Garyn Phillips played well around the park, a few good runs and big tackles. (One was very close to being a red mind). Wales did struggle to get Tuipulotu into the game, he had a few carries that showed what he could do but Wales couldn't generate enough quick ball to give him something to work with, often taking the ball at an absolute stand still with multiple Italian defenders waiting for him. One thing I thought was odd that he always seemed to be in the lineout, even when numbers had been dropped. Surely using him as carrier off lineout ball would be a good way to generate quick ball? I know they won and it's the first game but Wales need a big improvement in the other games or they might get a bit of a hiding against the other teams.

Agree with most of that Mike. Wales did control the second half very well given the conditions though, just pinned Italy back in their own half and racked up the penalty kicks at goal.

Deaves looks another find at 7. All round game was excellent. His high ball take, spin and step in the first half was something a world class fullback would be proud of. But it was his tackling and ability over the ball which was most impressive.

On a related note, didn't realise LRZ is still eligible for U20's. Nuts to think that he could have been playing last night, but is with the Lions instead!

ENGLAND U20 XV

15 Orlando Bailey (Bath Rugby)
14 Deago Bailey (Bristol Rugby)
13 Jack Bates (Bristol Rugby)
12 Dan Lancaster (Leeds Tykes)
11 Arthur Relton (Exeter Chiefs)
10 Fin Smith (Worcester Warriors)
9 Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers) (C)
1 Phil Brantingham (Newcastle Falcons)
2 Sam Riley (Harlequins)
3 Harvey Kindell-Beaton (Saracens)
4 Ewan Richards (Bath Rugby)
5 Alex Groves (Bristol Bears)
6 Emeka Ilione (Leicester Tigers)
7 Lucas Brooke (London Irish)
8 Jack Clement (Gloucester Rugby)

REPLACEMENTS

16 John Stewart (Bath Rugby)
17 Tarek Haffar (London Irish)
18 Luke Green (London Irish)
19 Arthur Clark (Gloucester Rugby)
20 Harry Taylor (Gloucester Rugby)
21 Nahum Merigan (Bath Rugby)
22 Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks)
23 Tommy Mathews (unattached)
24 Phil Cokanasiga (London Irish)
25 Tom Litchfield (Northampton Saints)
26 Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)

Unchanged side is a bit of a surprise since Wales didn't exactly look great last week. I assume that Tshiunza will be getting at least a few minutes off the bench but let's see Wales try get Tuipulotu in the game a bit more.

Unchanged side is a bit of a surprise since Wales didn't exactly look great last week. I assume that Tshiunza will be getting at least a few minutes off the bench but let's see Wales try get Tuipulotu in the game a bit more.
I guess the weather conditions weren't great last week and there was always going to be a bit of rustiness having not played for so long but I agree it is a bit of a surprise there's no changes.

I guess maybe he sees more utility in playing the same team again in the hope they will be less rusty and conditions will be better?

1624536630283.png

Latest posts