• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

UCORFC Summer Training Program

O

O'Rothlain

A few people have been asking for a weight lifting/workout program. This is what I've developed for my Club, The University of Central Oklahoma Rugby Football Club.
Try it out, and hit me up with any questions.

Cheers,

Nate Rowlan
</span>

Cool that you put together a routine for your club... I'm not entirely sure what effect Barbarian Day is to have. Seems like doing 30 reps of everything is like each muscle running one sprint. What's the theory behind it? Also, I don't understand why the routines are seemingly crammed into one day. Not to criticize your program, but in general it seems like off-season routines for rugby do this. For example, some of the major muscle groups are only given 6 direct sets (chest, triceps, etc.). Personally, I will feel nothing from 6 sets in my chest, although I will likely be tired after so many sets by so many muscles, but each individual muscle will not be challenged. I guess that's sort of a question. Do you know the reasoning for structuring off-season workouts this way?? Oh, and I would put in more calf raises.. :) Maybe I'm just ignorant of all the information, all I've really ever researched is bodybuilding-type workouts..Perhaps see you at some 7's tourneys...

Cool that you put together a routine for your club... I'm not entirely sure what effect Barbarian Day is to have. Seems like doing 30 reps of everything is like each muscle running one sprint. What's the theory behind it? Also, I don't understand why the routines are seemingly crammed into one day. Not to criticize your program, but in general it seems like off-season routines for rugby do this. For example, some of the major muscle groups are only given 6 direct sets (chest, triceps, etc.). Personally, I will feel nothing from 6 sets in my chest, although I will likely be tired after so many sets by so many muscles, but each individual muscle will not be challenged. I guess that's sort of a question. Do you know the reasoning for structuring off-season workouts this way?? Oh, and I would put in more calf raises.. :) Maybe I'm just ignorant of all the information, all I've really ever researched is bodybuilding-type workouts..Perhaps see you at some 7's tourneys... [/b]
Yeah...Good observations. This is not a good workout if you are wanting to bodybuild. This is for sport, which are two different theories of training. "Barbarian Day" is exactly like making your whole body do sprints. The main theory behind this sort of training is endurance.
I don't like 3 Day a week workouts personally, but with my team (and from conversation a lot of the guys here) they can (more precisely WILL) only give 3 days to weight lifting. There are a load more exercises you could do if you were willing to give 4-5 days to weight lifting. However, for playing rugby, I do recomend throwing in one "Barbarian Day." It really pushes your body.
Sports training versus Body building should rely on more plyometric and full body exercises. The idea to keep in mind is "Athletic Movements" and doing exercises that you can apply on the field of play.
I hope this makes some sense. Again, for a 3 day workout program this is intense and will definitely get the job done (espeically for those not currently doing any sort of training, or minimal and unsuperviesed training).

(We'll be at the Dallas 7's June 7th, Parrotheads, Zeekers (I know I'll see you there) and Tornado Alley. So, we should meet up at least once.)

Thank you for posting this. I've looked it over and I think I'll be using it this summer to train for my first season of Rugby. I'm also glad that this is a 3 day program and not a 4 or 5 day one. Again, thank you for sharing.

Thank you for posting this. I've looked it over and I think I'll be using it this summer to train for my first season of Rugby. I'm also glad that this is a 3 day program and not a 4 or 5 day one. Again, thank you for sharing. [/b]
You can always +Rep if you like it! :D :D :D

It's a nice routine, only I have to agree with the posters above that Barbarian day, while it would really increase muscle stamina, would not really amount to too much tear. Then again, you're designing a rugby workout primarily, so I can't complain.

What I do rate highly is your leg routine. At the moment i'm following a plan designed by my brother who mainly bulks up to box, so legs are a secondary muscle group. I'm definitely going to give your leg workout a go. At the moment my legs are disproportionate in strength to my upper body. While it means I can fit into gay jeans, it does not translate too well on the rugby field.

Okay, just did the first day of the program...and I'm pretty tired out. I personally enjoy the program so far, but I'm wondering, do I (or can I) alternate days, like Monday is Barbarian day, Tuesday is running, and then Wednesday is legs, etc... or do I do all three days in a row and then running for the rest of the week?

Okay, just did the first day of the program...and I'm pretty tired out. I personally enjoy the program so far, but I'm wondering, do I (or can I) alternate days, like Monday is Barbarian day, Tuesday is running, and then Wednesday is legs, etc... or do I do all three days in a row and then running for the rest of the week? [/b]
Yeah...definitely alternate days. I should make that more clear. MWF is good for the lifting with running on the off days. Keep me informed on your progress and hit me up with any questions...good luck!

Yeah...definitely alternate days. I should make that more clear. MWF is good for the lifting with running on the off days. Keep me informed on your progress and hit me up with any questions...good luck!
[/b]

Thanks, I was wondering that since we used to do that with the football training program, and the unsupervised mess that I was doing earlier this year. :) Again, thank you for this program, it was just what I needed. I'll certainly keep you updated on progress. I'll cover each day for the first week, and after that, I guess weekly would be a good way to show my progress.

completely forgot about this post until today at the gym... im still not sure i agree with barbarian day, but what the hell, eh?? and props for recognizing that they only would put in 3 days a week, well done, i would not have figured that.. i get off work too late to go to any 7's practices, or even work cardio into my lifting, so im not sure what ill show up to (and have you seen the price of gas!?), but maybe ill flop around on the pitch at zeeker's a bit..

completely forgot about this post until today at the gym... im still not sure i agree with barbarian day, but what the hell, eh?? and props for recognizing that they only would put in 3 days a week, well done, i would not have figured that.. i get off work too late to go to any 7's practices, or even work cardio into my lifting, so im not sure what ill show up to (and have you seen the price of gas!?), but maybe ill flop around on the pitch at zeeker's a bit.. [/b]
Well, to let you in on the secret, I got with several personal trainers and took the principals behind the "300 Workout" and made it more rugby related. It's all about body endurance and fatigue. My team responds better to that sort of exercise at the moment anyway. So, it's really about keeping your body guessing. Like I've said, if you're not on a program and haven't been disciplined or supervised before, it's a fantastic 3 day a week program. I encourage people, however, who have routines to at least look at the Barbarian Day and try to incorporate that sort of ideology into one of your workouts. I promise it will make a difference.

Yeah, Zeekers should be fun. The price of gas is getting retarded. I live like 30 min. from UCO, so it's a pricey drive all the time.

I have to agree that you should throw a barbarian day into your own training plans, or just use this one. After a week, I've noticed an improvement in my endurance and strength and am starting to get back in shape. Again, I want to thank you for sharing this. Agreed about the gas. It's going to eat up every penny I make this summer, although I don't have that many places to go (aside from a few cricket matches, and perhaps to watch some 7s matches).

I have to agree that you should throw a barbarian day into your own training plans, or just use this one. After a week, I've noticed an improvement in my endurance and strength and am starting to get back in shape. Again, I want to thank you for sharing this. Agreed about the gas. It's going to eat up every penny I make this summer, although I don't have that many places to go (aside from a few cricket matches, and perhaps to watch some 7s matches).
[/b]
Good on you. I've noticed a big improvement myself. Where in the US are you? Where in the US are you that has cricket?

I live around (well...about 40 minutes depending on traffic) Charlotte, North Carolina. We have a few cricket clubs, but the only one I could find anything on plays at a park in Charlotte. The same with our local Rugby club (Charlotte Old Originals), if they're doing any 7s matches. They both play a good ways away from me, so getting up to see any match will be tough on my wallet.

I live around (well...about 40 minutes depending on traffic) Charlotte, North Carolina. We have a few cricket clubs, but the only one I could find anything on plays at a park in Charlotte. The same with our local Rugby club (Charlotte Old Originals), if they're doing any 7s matches. They both play a good ways away from me, so getting up to see any match will be tough on my wallet. [/b]
What is the name of the town...I'm pretty familiar with Charlotte...I have several friends that live around there.

Howdy,

I'd love to take a look at your training routine, but for some reason I do not have permission to dl the file. Is there any way you could send it to me in a PM or email?

Let me know and thank you,

L.Nub

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 4 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lnub @ Aug 4 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy,

I'd love to take a look at your training routine, but for some reason I do not have permission to dl the file. Is there any way you could send it to me in a PM or email?

Let me know and thank you,

L.Nub[/b]
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/index.p...post&id=143
Try that link...?
[/b][/quote]

Same thing...I just don't get it.
No worries pal. Thanks anyway.

Latest posts