• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

UK Review of Rugby League 3 coming soon - TRF Exclusive

L

locksley

Hi All,

Just a quick thread to let you know that I've been invited to play & Review Rugby League 3 next week, at Alternative Software.

I've also invited Dan (St Helens RLFC) along, so he can give his honest opinion on it too!

I was never a lover of Rugby League 2 (even though I did some work on it!) and thought it to be an uncontrollable mess. I can't wait to see if Rugby League 3 has ironed that horrible player control.

Cheers

Lox

Look forward to it,
Will be good to hear how it fares against RL2 (which, i agree, was pretty poor, though i still play it a fair bit :p )

Will get the game either way

always good to hear from you locksley will be great to hear your thoughts and st helens on this game.

Rugby League 2 was a frustrating ***le to play, because to be fair the work that had been done on graphics, animations, front end and options etc was there for all to see. Controlling it though was just heart breaking. It may not have seemed it at the time, but the fans really wanted to like it, at least everyone I spoke to did. It was just really hard to say anything nice with the way it handled being so at odds with the touted "9/10" reviews. All that aside it was one major hurdle from being a very good ***le.

The potential was amazing in the original ***le and I'm really hoping this turns out well and sells tremendously for Sidhe. I appreciate that Sidhe have persevered with Rugby League despite the ups and downs. :bravo:

i hope side realises that the controls of the players need to be better and something has been done about it
such an integral part of the gameplay

It's the interface between the controller in the real world and everything that happens in the game. It is the game really and from what I've seen in gameplay videos it's around as tight the original Rugby League. Thats not ideal, but a massive improvement over RL2. I'm willing to admit that reallly thats just an educated guess, when watching the videos, but I think I've seen enough to give me a reasonable idea that it's not as bad as RL2.

Still, we'll hear the real news from Locksley and Dan when they've done their thing. Locksley has mentioned above that he didn't like control at all in RL2, so I'd imagine it'd be a dead cert for some news on this major issue.

Hi Nesreviac

Yeah, I hated RL2. I so wanted to like it too. I love Rugby League and enjoyed Rugby League 1 very much. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was fun and you always felt that you had to be on your guard against the AI or you would end up losing. Rugby League 2 was a different story altogether. While I commend Sidhe for all the additions they put in there, they did so at the expense of the very things that made RL 1 enjoyable. Controlling the player in RL2 was just awful. Compare it to EA Rugby 06 or even Rugby Challenge, and it loses out heavily. I have Rugby League Challenge on the PSP, and that is very enjoyable to play. Sure, it's simple with hardly any options etc, but the game is damn fun to play, and has good responsive controls. RL2 also left a lot to be desired when defending too. Any game where you can put the pad down while you go and make some tea, then come back and the AI STILL hasn't scored shouldn't have made it past testing!

Rest assuredf, when Dan and I get our hands on RL3 we'll be focusing on control, probably more than anything else.

Latest posts