• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster - Leicester Tigers (13/01/2012, 20:00)

Yep, both are damp, miserable proverbials (note: I live in Belfast) But with pretty good rugby teams. :D

Amazing effort by Ulster, not totally unexpected since Ulster have put in some really good performances recently but that result really announces Ulster's arrival! Now I need to get to a game ASAP.

Last edited:
Apparently Youngs, Croft and Cole were all terrible.

Bodes well for the Six Nations :lol:

Youngs wasn't too bad until he lost it - did very well to set up Murphy's try and everything good came through him until he/they lost it. I'd have to rewatch again but I think Croft was stuck on the wing as a deliberate tactic to try and counter Ulster's tendency to to have Ferris/Tuohy lurking out there, which didn't really matter once Ulster smashed Tigers around up front. Not his fault and glaring misuse - although him getting dumped out by Paddy Wallace will be held against him for a loooooong time and probably rightly so. Cole's contribution was incredibly forgettable but that's because he couldn't control his gob.

Leicester ran head first into a nigh perfect storm then imploded. They got smashed around up front (sans Cole starting it should be noted) and didn't have a lot else to offer. Fought very well for the first half, then imploded after Twelvetrees missed a sitter and Ulster just stepped up a level.

So... yeah, I'm a little concerned about the 6N, but still believe in the quality of the players. Ish. It's very disheartening to think that in 2009 Croft and Ferris seemed neck and neck for that Lions 6 jersey until Ferris injured himself; now, it's not even sure you'd take Croft, but Ferris would be massive odds-on favourite to start in the tests if fit. I'm not certain I particularly believe in Richard Cockerill though, Leicester haven't been performing for a while and I'm wondering if that's down to him.

Fair play to Ulster. They're a real force to be reckoned with. let's hope they can pick up a losing bonus point next week. I wish beating Clermont were a possibility but I think we all know that it's quite literally impossible to beat Clermont on their own turf. A bonus point loss there is a victory in anyone's books.

Although I want Ulster to go through I realllly hope Leinster don't end up having to play them in the quarters. Leinster seem likely to play 1 of the teams that gets best 2nd. Cardiff, Scarlets, Quins and Ulster are the 4 teams in contention for that. I'd be very confident we'd beat Cardiff or Scarlets in the Aviva. I wouldn't worry too much about Quins either. But Ulster just look like the most threatening team of the 4 imo.

Although I want Ulster to go through I realllly hope Leinster don't end up having to play them in the quarters.
I know what you're saying but I take the opposite view. To be the best, you have to beat the best. On current form, Ulster are among the top 5 teams in Europe with Saracens, Leinster, Munster and Toulouse. 51,000 fans in the Aviva stadium, evenly split between Leinster and Ulster fans- that's something I want to see.

To be counted as amongst the best in Europe, we need to start doing things away from home as well though - and we haven't. Not yet. And more to the point, we're not about to start anytime soon either. Particularly not Leinster in Dublin, which appear to be Ulster kryptonite. I know we have to beat you there sometime but I'd rather have someone a lot easier for a QF.

It's very disheartening to think that in 2009 Croft and Ferris seemed neck and neck for that Lions 6 jersey until Ferris injured himself

Personally speaking, I think they were only close in the minds of the English media.

But then I would be slightly biased! :)

You'd have to be incredibly one eyed to think they weren't pretty much equal then.

However you'd have to be incredibly one eyed not to say Ferris is head and shoulders and torso and legs and ankles and feet above Croft now.

I know what you're saying but I take the opposite view. To be the best, you have to beat the best. On current form, Ulster are among the top 5 teams in Europe with Saracens, Leinster, Munster and Toulouse. 51,000 fans in the Aviva stadium, evenly split between Leinster and Ulster fans- that's something I want to see.

We'd beat them comfortably. Don't get me wrong, Ulster have come on leaps and bounds, but I think we have them beaten in the head these days.

We'd beat them comfortably. Don't get me wrong, Ulster have come on leaps and bounds, but I think we have them beaten in the head these days.

I half-agree with you. The other half says this Ulster side is improving a lot, it's look far slicker in the past few weeks and the motivation to stick it down the Ladybai's throats is massive. It's not just in the head, it's that we can't get past the Leinster defence when we have the ball - some of the play we've shown recently says we possibly can now. I really hope we keep Terblanche on as a coach.

Realistically, in such a scenario, I'd be happy with staying in touch and giving ourselves some belief though.

I half-agree with you. The other half says this Ulster side is improving a lot, it's look far slicker in the past few weeks and the motivation to stick it down the Ladybai's throats is massive. It's not just in the head, it's that we can't get past the Leinster defence when we have the ball - some of the play we've shown recently says we possibly can now. I really hope we keep Terblanche on as a coach.

Realistically, in such a scenario, I'd be happy with staying in touch and giving ourselves some belief though.

You disgust me :p.

I should have put an if in there in retrospect. Leinster would beat Ulster comfortably if they get their act together. There have been a few unimpressive displays over the last few weeks and the poor form of the likes of SOB, Cullen and Mike Ross is very worrying. Were Ulster to take an early lead if such a game were to take place, we'd be hard pressed to peg them back. I don't think we'd let them into that position though.

Leinster full-tilt is a scary sight its true.

But I think Ulster have just posted notice to the same effect. We'll see whether we can take it on the road at Clermont.

wee paul marshall is great for uslter!
im just not sure about international

but on the otherhand he has been a wolfhound so maybe see if he sinks or swims with ireland??

Peat
you must be coming round to my way of thinking about Paul Marshall now, the man is immense. :D

:lol:

He is a fantastic wee man and great to have around the place. He's really kicked on under Pienaar, it's been massive.

However, do I trust him? My gods, I'm not sure I do yet. Like iHumph (less now though) I'm always waiting for the other boot to drop, the brainfat, the fizzing brain moment. The trust is growing.

I'd put him in the international squad, but he'd be third scrum-half and mainly there for a close-up inspection. After all, he can't be any worse than O'Leary, and Kidney wouldn't play Isaac Boss if he was the last scrum-half in the world, so you might as well.

Latest posts