• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster snap up two more

B

Bullitt

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5888609,00.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Ulster have announced the re-signing of two more home-grown talents: fly-half Ian Humphreys and lock Ryan Caldwell for three and two years respectively.

Commenting on Humphreys' and Caldwell's decision to stay with Ulster, Head Coach Brian McLaughlin said: "The management team are delighted to have secured these two Ulster-born players to the squad, for the foreseeable future. Both players are greatly talented individuals, who are highly regarded members of the squad.

"Our aim for Ulster has always been to create a competitive team focused on a core of Ulster men."

Speaking about his contract renewal, Ian Humphreys said: "Growing up, Ulster was always the place I wanted to play rugby. To know that I will be here, in my home province, for another few years is brilliant, especially as the team are developing in such a positive way. I believe we have a bright future ahead of us."

After joining Ulster ahead of the 2008/09 season, Ian Humphreys has gained 32 caps to date and has racked up 252 points in the Magners League and Heineken Cup competitions. From his Ulster senior debut in 2005, Caldwell has earned 69 caps for the club. Both players have also been named on the Ireland 'A' squad to face England Saxons, on Sunday in Bath.[/b]

Humphreys in particular is an excellent signing. He treats things like tackling as optional extras but can destroy opponents when the mood takes him.

Caldwell has dropped behind Dan Tuohy and Ed O'Donoghue in the pecking order but he has bags of ability. He's another good signing but not as crucial to the fortunes of the team as Ian Humphreys.

Lads I know Ulster after landing in money but must also say they have rebuilt nicely and are starting to look a dangerous team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 27 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads I know Ulster after landing in money but must also say they have rebuilt nicely and are starting to look a dangerous team.[/b]
I agree completely. A couple of years ago the province were in disarray losing Simon Best, Neil Best, Tommy Bowe, Justin Harrison, Roger Wilson, David Humphreys and their coaching staff in the same season. To come from there to where they are now is quite a turnaround.

I know he's oft criticised but their last coach Matt Williams should take a lot of credit for that. He brought in Andy Kyriacou, Ian Humphreys, Ed O'Donoghue, Dan Tuohy, Timoci Nagusa and Robbie Diack from obscurity or from other teams list of cast offs and each have become important players (to different extents) with the province. He gave Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, David Pollock, Niall O'Connor and Chris Henry a chance and each have taken it. He converted Tom Court to loosehead and Paddy Wallace to full time centre and both are the better for those moves.

Brian McLaughlin has taken Ulster on another level but I firmly believe that he couldn't have done so if it wasn't for the foundations which Matt Williams laid.

Latest posts