• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster v Connacht

A

An Tarbh

Ulster.png
Connacht.png

Ulster boss Matt Williams has named a strong side to take on Connacht in Friday evening’s Magners League derby clash at Ravenhill.

Skipper Rory Best makes his return to the side and will start at hooker against Michael Bradley’s men, having been in action with Ireland over the last few weeks. He joins BJ Botha and Justin Fitzpatrick in an able looking front row.

Another Ireland man, Stephen Ferris, is also in to partner David Pollock, previously the skipper in Best’s absence, and new South African recruit Robbie Diack in the back row.

In the backs, Paddy Wallace joins Darren Cave at centre, while former Ireland A man Mark McCrea starts his first competitive game for Ulster this season on the wing.

Gavin Duffy will captain Connacht for the first time in Friday's game. Ireland international full back Duffy takes the armband due to the injury of John Muldoon, the regular Connacht skipper missing out with a calf injury that may see him miss several weeks.

Elsewhere, Keith Matthews starts for the first time for Michael Bradley’s men and he will partner Mel Deane in midfield, while Ian Keatley and Frank Murphy renew their half-back partnership.

In the forwards, Brett Wilkinson and Robbie Morris join hooker Sean Cronin in the front row and Michael McCarthy and Andrew Farley start in a familiar second row.

Tim Donnelly is among the replacements for the first time this season after he completed his recovery from a shoulder injury, but there is still no place for Muldoon has joined Liam Bibo and Michael Roberts [both calf] and Aidan Wynne [shoulder].

Ulster: B Cunningham; T Nagusa, D Cave, P Wallace, M McCrea; I Humphreys, C Willis; J Fitzpatrick, R Best [capt] B Botha; E O'Donoghue, R Caldwell; S Ferris, D Pollock, R Diack.

Replacements: N Brady, T Court, M McCullough, K Dawson, I Boss, P Steinmetz, S Danielli.

Connacht: G Duffy [capt]; F Carr, M Deane, K Matthews, T Nathan; I Keatley, F Murphy; B Wilkinson, S Cronin, R Morris; M McCarthy, A Farley; R Ofisa, J O'Connor, C Rigney.

Replacements: A Flavin, R Loughney, A Browne, M Swift, K Campbell, T Donnelly, J Hearty.

From - Setanta Sports

Latest posts