• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster Vs Ospreys

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
Ulster: Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Simon Danielli, Niall O'Connor, Isaac Boss, Bryan Young, Rory Best, BJ Botha, Ed O'Donoghue, Dan Tuohy, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry (capt), Robbie Diack. Replacements: Andi Kyriacou, Tom Court, Ryan Caldwell, David Pollock, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Nevin Spence
Ospreys: Lee Byrne; Tommy Bowe, Sonny Parker, James Hook, Shane Williams; Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Ryan Bevington, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Jonathan Thomas, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Ryan Jones (capt).
Replacements: Ed Shervington, Paul James, Alun Wyn Jones, Filo Tiatia, Jamie Nutbrown, Andrew Bishop, Nikki Walker.

Ospreys only make three changes. A bit risky, as while the likes of Jerry Collins would probaly take being rested personaly and/or thump anyone he sees until they put him into the team should stay, and Tommy Bowe, Lee Byrne and James Hook played this many games in this space of time for the Lions, I can't see why they didn't put out at least o e of the Gareth owen/Tom Prydie/Kristian Philips bunch of promising youngsters, not even on the bench. Bevvington doesn't count.

Ulster: Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Simon Danielli, Niall O'Connor, Isaac Boss, Bryan Young, Rory Best, BJ Botha, Ed O'Donoghue, Dan Tuohy, Stephen Ferris, Chris Henry (capt), Robbie Diack. Replacements: Andi Kyriacou, Tom Court, Ryan Caldwell, David Pollock, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Nevin Spence
Ospreys: Lee Byrne; Tommy Bowe, Sonny Parker, James Hook, Shane Williams; Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Ryan Bevington, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Jonathan Thomas, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Ryan Jones (capt).
Replacements: Ed Shervington, Paul James, Alun Wyn Jones, Filo Tiatia, Jamie Nutbrown, Andrew Bishop, Nikki Walker.
Oh dear. Wallace patently isn't a fullback and O'Connor is a disaster at flyhalf. Ulster may win due to the Ospreys playing two games in four days but that shouldn't hide the fact that they've picked a poor team. Picking Wallace at 15 is their only choice though since Smith and Cunningham are injured and they sold Clinton Schifcokske despite being threadbare at the back.

Was it Paddy Wallace playing at Flyhalf/Inside Centre for Ireland A at the start of the 6N? Wouldn't it make more sense to play him there, then O'Connor at FB, so you've at least got a decetnt FH

Must win game for the Ospreys here. They've got a very tough run-in in the Magner's League, and simply have to beat Ulster, even if it's away. It's only gonna get tougher with Leinster and Munster away two of their other three fixtures.

I saw this on Ulster's fans site:
Ian Humphreys as starting 10 - 14 wins, 2 draws, 11 losses - total 27

Niall O'Connor as starting 10 - 3 wins, 13 losses - total 16
In short, Ulster win roughly 50% of their games with Ian Humphreys at flyhalf and lose over 80% of games when Niall O'Connor plays 10. I know Humphreys is inconsitent but he's a far better player than the other 10 in the squad. It's a big mistake not starting iHumph

Bevvington and Bennett can't scrummage, so I bet the likes of are Botha rubbing their hands at that prospect, espechally as Adam Jones will be tired as less effective.

Wallace is only effective as a 12, he can play at 10 and 15 but isn't great.
As for Ospreys they have to try win this as I think if they finish season without being near winning a trophy it'd be an ultimate disaster for them.
And I know Ulster rotate at times but has Tom Court just went in to reverse or what is the story.

Is humphreys injured or is picking o'connor just tacticle. Ospreys should win this as Ulster are in bad form. I can only see Ulster getting better next year when they can start a fresh

Yup, Ulster seem in a similar position to the Scarlets. Some very positive showings in the HC and alot of potential shown in other matches, but have ultimately fallen short this season. Both will be looking forward for next season where they can hopefully perform much better.

does anyone know where I can watch this online for free????

It's not being televised here in Wales, not sure about Ireland. I think because it was a recently reorganised game, none of the tv channels had it timetabled, so I don't think anywhere is showing it live. May be wrong though. If it is shown, I'd also like to know of a place to watch it.

It's on S4C, so if you go on their website, you can click "Watch Live" (or something to that effect) and watch there (or if you have sky/freesat, then watch it on S4C on there)

Very pleased with the result in the end. Think it was 38-27 to the Ospreys. A breakaway try scored by Tommy Bowe after a hack through from Adam Jones sealed the game in the dying minutes. Bonus point for the Ospreys sees them climb to second in the table.

Great effort from the lads. Must have been hard to get up for the game after the agony of Saturday, mentally and physically. Ospreys strength off the bench really told. Gotta do it all over again v Leinster on Friday though. Man that's a tough schedule!

I thought Collins did well, really carried well and that last hit on Trimble was a match changer. I'm guessing 'cash for gold' is Lee Byrne. Thought he was a little poor, but he must have been tired, since he was everywhere in San Sebastian. Some of his kicking tonight was dreadful, really aimless. I think he needs to start looking for touch again with his kicks, kicking long just isn't working anymore, as the opposition just places three or four players back knowing he won't go for touch.

Well Connacht have great chance now to get back into race for 3rd Irish team H'Cup spot only 4points behinh with a game in hand.

Collins played well, and the way he said to the ref after AWJ was caught offside "Yeah, but it was marginal, wasn't it? Marginal? He wasn't FAR offside..." while holding his fingers to signal 'Only an inch!' made me laugh out loud.

Bowe was fairly quiet until his try. The lineout was far, far better and the scrum was alright, considering the pack was tired. Ian Gough was outstanding, although the sin binning did bring it down a bit. Hook was great, too, as his two tries showed, and Biggar played pretty well also.

Latest posts