• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster Vs Scarlets

D

DuncTheDoodle

Ulster.png
scarletscx5.png

With Ulster having defeated the Ospreys and the Scarlets defeated Leinster already this season, it should be intresting to see the beaters of the big boys go head-to-head. Stephen Jones is also back in this first game after starting all of the Lions tests, Matthew Rees also getting his first start, while his namesake Ferris is back after his absense last weekend.

Scarlets captain Mark Jones has pulled out due to a dead leg, with youngester Lee Williams comnig onto the wing for him, and Rhys Priestland moving from 10 to Fullback to compensate for the returning Lion.

Ulster: (Forwards) N Brady, BJ Botha, B Young, E O'Donoghue, A Kyriacou, C Henry, S Ferris, W Faloon, T Anderson, N McComb , T Court, D Fitzpatrick, R Caldwell, T Houra.

(Backs) T Nagusa, D Cave, A Trimble, I Whitten, P Marshall, I Boss, I Humphreys, P Wallace, C Schifcofske, I Porter, N O'Connor, M McCrea.

Scarlets: Rhys Priestland; Sean Lamont; Gareth Maule, Jon Davies; Lee Williams; Stephen Jones, Martin Roberts; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Rhys Thomas, Vernon Cooper, Lou Reed, Dafydd Jones, Johnathan Edwards, David Lyons (capt)

I agree with Speedy, points n all
Priestlands kicking was the real weak link the the scarlets team for the last few games, with Jones back they should give Ulster a hammering

Will be great to have Jones back. The Scarlets have been doing well without him, but his control and his kicking will add another level again. I can honestly say that the Scarlets would have won the two close matches they lost if Jones was playing, or if Prestland's kicking at goal was up to scratch. In some ways, that backrow might be the strongest the Scarlets can put out, although Easterby has regained some form of late. The rest of the pack is certainly first choice (although Ken Owens is pushing hard), and that's where the Scarlets will win this match.

They've obviously decided to give a bit of a rest to Daniel Evans, as he's probably one of the Scarlets most important players with Stoddard still out. Prestland is decent cover, but it's not his natural position.

Scarlets by 10+

good to see Ferris back, glad his injury wasn't serious. Even with the mighty Jones in tow I'd still back a home win.

Ulster Team
(1-8) Tom Court, Nigel Brady, Brendon Botha, Ed O'Donoghue, Ryan Caldwell, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

(9-15) Clinton Schifcofske, Timoci Nagusa, Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Andrew Trimble, Ian Humphreys, Isaac Boss.

Replacements
(16-22) Andy Kyriacou, Declan Fitzpatrick, Neil McComb, TJ Anderson, Paul Marshall, Ian Whitten, Mark McCrea

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 30 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
good to see Ferris back, glad his injury wasn't serious. Even with the mighty Jones in tow I'd still back a home win.[/b]

That's a good point, and one I completely overlooked. For some reason I thought this was being played at Parc Y Scarlets! I can still see the Scarlets picking up the win, not by mutch though.

Jones got 4 from 4 so far,
Ulster with a try though, and playing better running rugby than scarlets so far, but Jones' kicking keeping scarlets ahead 10-12

16 - 12 at half time.

Rhys Thomas' binning was touch and go (how dare he lift a player's leg!). Soppy try to start, but there are so many holes in the defence it's hard to see why there hasn't been more for Ulster. Jones has kicked 4/4 though honestly none of them were hard. Ulster are defending very well.

f***er should count himself lucky he's playing at all so tough if his yellow card was dubious, don't think it was in fairness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 2 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
16 - 12 at half time.

Rhys Thomas' binning was touch and go (how dare he lift a player's leg!). Soppy try to start, but there are so many holes in the defence it's hard to see why there hasn't been more for Ulster. Jones has kicked 4/4 though honestly none of them were hard. Ulster are defending very well.[/b]

I though the binning was a tad harsh on Thomas and I agree Ulster should be more than 4 points up.

Ulsters defense is VERY solid tonight, Scarlets have just got to hope for more kicking really, doubt they're getting a try this match

thought Trimble was gonna be called up for pushing the man off the ball, still though showed good pace to finish it off.

right that should be the match for Ulster with Nagusa's try, just hope they can get the bp now.

Latest posts