TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Firhill_2536843.jpg

Glasgow Warriors have announced the signing of wing Tommy Seymour on a two-year contract from Ulster.

Seymour, who qualifies for Scotland through his Glasgow-born mother, will move to the Warriors in search of regular first XV rugby.

The 22-year-old, who was born in the United States, will replace the Max Evans in the squad, who is moving to Castres in the off-season.

"I'm just taking things one step at a time, but I feel I will be in the right place to develop as a player and to strive towards representative honours," said the proven finisher.

"I'm very keen to establish myself as a Magners League player.

"I've always been attracted to Scotland because of the style of rugby they play and the expansive role of the backs."

http://www.planet-rugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_6814498,00.html

Best of luck to the boy. Would have rather he stayed but no harm done with him gone.

Glasgow and Scotland are getting a nice raw talent here. Big, strong, fast, does the basics fairly well and can pick a line. Wouldn't surprise me if he got Scotland caps.

To be fair, he only has 3 starts for Ulster so they're not exactly going to miss him.

A side issue is that Ulster have seen wingers Tommy Seymour and Mark McCrea leave, Jamie Smith has been heavily linked to the Dragons and there have been rumours that winger Simon Danielli will move on too. Craig Gilroy has been promoted and now Conor Gaston is in the extended squad for the game against the Dragons. It appears as though David Humphreys is clearing the dead wood from the squad and promoting talented youngsters. There's also room for a top class signing at fullback- another reason to believe Cory Jane is coming as rumoured.

I hope the move works out for Seymour and he can establish himself for Glasgow. It's too early to tell if he has the quality to play for Scotland though.

Ulster will be looking to promote Gilroy through the ranks quickly and Seymour was not a major part of the future of Ulster. Trimble, Gilroy, Danielli and D'Arcy the only players in the back three that are of just about H-Cup quality at the moment. Cory Jane would be a hell of a signing as he can play both wing and fullback. He may be missing during the world cup but lets face most teams will be missing alot of players during the world cup. D'Arcy has really grown this year but I think Ulster need a real top international class player in position the outside backs.

its all sad that players are leaving. but seems to be we are cutting dead wood (or dying wood)
however the line "replacing max evans" should just be depressing for glasgow

Snoopy, that's a fairly low bar you've got there if we're honest (particularly when you consider the A team) :p

But yes, long term, everyone available we didn't really need him. I'll miss him when David McIlwaine's playing next Autumn though. Adam D'Arcy hasn't resigned yet which is making me slightly nervous. Likewise, the rumours about Jane are growing stronger, but nothing definite yet. But with the emergence of our young backs he's not needed.

Apparently Conor Gaston is a lot like Craig Gilroy, but built like Andy Trimble. Really hope he plays against Newport, as I'll be there to see that!

Latest posts