Umaga signs with lowly Toulon

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Dumbo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

From planetrugby.com

AB legend confirms move to France
    Former New Zealand captain Tana Umaga has put pen to paper on a short-term contract with Toulon of France in what is believed to be one of the most lucrative deals of professional rugby's short history.

Toulon were relegated from the Top 14 last season but are intent on making an immediate return to France's premier division, and reports suggest the Umaga will be joined at the Stade Mayol by former England wing Dan Luger and Fiji fly-half Seremaia Bai.

The deal would allow Umaga, 33, to play for Wellington in the forthcoming Air New Zealand Cup (formerly the NPC), after which he would move to France's south coast.

Umaga will earn around €350,000 ($438,800) for his 12-match stay, and it is believed that Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal co-president Stéphane Lelievre will be meeting costs out of their own pockets.

"I will not give any numbers but it will be one of the biggest transfers in the history of French rugby - I am paying for Umaga myself," said Lelievre.

Toulon returned to France's top-flight after a five-year absence at the start of the 2006/7 season, but were relegated straight back down, having won only 3 out of 26 matches.
    ---------------------------------------
    Pūtake ake, He pakiwaitara ake ake tēnā.
    Kia kaha.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. That's excellent news for the club. I can see Umaga doing only good things to help them along.

4. harrison2468

harrison2468 Guest

Great news from a commercial point of view, but this is short-term thinking, and they are going to have to fill this gap apain anyway.

5. Candyman

Candyman Guest

I can't believe he is going i thought he was giving up that sort of rugby to spend time with his family and stuff that he had enough of rugby

6. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3716305a1823,00.html

dum dum dum :D

7. esoj

esoj Guest

that is a pretty sweet deal. plays for the french club and super 14 too.

candyman that is the reason why I think he gave up international footy. the whole travel and toll on his body was too much. this is a short term deal by the sounds of things and he will be able to play in the super 14.

8. Ripper

Ripper Guest

But say if this propels them back up to the Top Flight, it surely outways any of those negatives?

9. harrison2468

harrison2468 Guest

Could be, but it is so much money, they could invest in a few promising youngsters, and give them a year's experience in a lower division to bring them on. Then they won't have to buy so mnay players in the next season.

I can't see it being too hard to get promoted if they bring in the right players, and it is only for 12 matches anyway. But it would be interesting to see it happen.

10. Boy

Boy Guest

Still, it's nice to know Dan Luger's still alive.

11. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Always thought Dan Luger was a preety decent player myself. Probably one of the better English wingers of recent times in my very importaint opinion.

12. harrison2468

harrison2468 Guest

Wasn't he running a business in Croatia or something?!

13. Ripper

Ripper Guest

He was... at least according to several articles on google

http://archive.gulfnews.com/indepth/dubai_...s/10001813.html

14. Boy

Boy Guest

I think I heard he was running a restaurant with his dad, who is Croatian.

When he was injury free, Luger was a great runner, but I don't think he was fully fit in his last few years playing for England. But, he was one of Woodward's boys, and SCW always stuck by the players he brought through, which was often damaging to the player themselves. Luger's move to Perpignan was a mistake in terms of his career, in my opinion, as he was very much out of sight of the England selectors and his motivation subsequently waned.

15. harrison2468

harrison2468 Guest

He had a good strike rate in International rugby though - 21 in 33 tests, but Boy is right - I can remember his performance against Wales in the World-Cup, where he was really bad.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!