• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Umaga signs with lowly Toulon

D

Dumbo

From planetrugby.com

AB legend confirms move to France
Former New Zealand captain Tana Umaga has put pen to paper on a short-term contract with Toulon of France in what is believed to be one of the most lucrative deals of professional rugby's short history.

Toulon were relegated from the Top 14 last season but are intent on making an immediate return to France's premier division, and reports suggest the Umaga will be joined at the Stade Mayol by former England wing Dan Luger and Fiji fly-half Seremaia Bai.

The deal would allow Umaga, 33, to play for Wellington in the forthcoming Air New Zealand Cup (formerly the NPC), after which he would move to France's south coast.

Umaga will earn around â'¬350,000 ($438,800) for his 12-match stay, and it is believed that Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal co-president Stéphane Lelievre will be meeting costs out of their own pockets.

"I will not give any numbers but it will be one of the biggest transfers in the history of French rugby - I am paying for Umaga myself," said Lelievre.

Toulon returned to France's top-flight after a five-year absence at the start of the 2006/7 season, but were relegated straight back down, having won only 3 out of 26 matches.
---------------------------------------
Pūtake ake, He pakiwaitara ake ake tēnā.
Kia kaha.

That's excellent news for the club. I can see Umaga doing only good things to help them along.

Great news from a commercial point of view, but this is short-term thinking, and they are going to have to fill this gap apain anyway.

I can't believe he is going i thought he was giving up that sort of rugby to spend time with his family and stuff that he had enough of rugby

Umaga won't confirm Toulon signing
30 June 2006 

French rugby club Toulon say they have signed former All Blacks captain Tana Umaga but the player's New Zealand agent won't confirm the deal.

The French second division rugby side yesterday said they had signed Umaga on a one-year deal, AFP reported.

The 33-year old was set to arrive at the club at the end of October after playing for Wellington in the inaugural Air New Zealand Cup.

"I can hardly believe it," said Toulon's co-president Mourad Boudjellal.

"Umaga is one of the most emblematic players on the planet."

Toulon general manager Alain Teixidor did not hide his delight at signing the midfielder.

"He is the best player in the world and his arrival at Toulon will be beneficial to us," he said.

AdvertisementAdvertisementBut when Umaga's agent Rob Brady was told Toulon had claimed to have signed Umaga, he said he had no comment to make on the report.

However Brady did confirm they were close to finalising a deal.

Brady could not explain why Toulon had already announced Umaga's signing.

Umaga, who retired from international rugby last year, stands to make a significant windfall.

Leading French sports publication L'Equipe reported last week the midfield back could net around 350,000 euros ($NZ727,000) a month.

Under the proposed arrangement, Umaga would also be available to play in next year's Super 14 for the Hurricanes.

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3716305a1823,00.html

dum dum dum :D

that is a pretty sweet deal. plays for the french club and super 14 too.

candyman that is the reason why I think he gave up international footy. the whole travel and toll on his body was too much. this is a short term deal by the sounds of things and he will be able to play in the super 14.

Originally posted by harrison2468@Jun 30 2006, 03:43 AM
Great news from a commercial point of view, but this is short-term thinking, and they are going to have to fill this gap apain anyway.
But say if this propels them back up to the Top Flight, it surely outways any of those negatives?

Originally posted by Ripper+Jun 30 2006, 06:21 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Jun 30 2006, 03:43 AM
But say if this propels them back up to the Top Flight, it surely outways any of those negatives? [/b]
Could be, but it is so much money, they could invest in a few promising youngsters, and give them a year's experience in a lower division to bring them on. Then they won't have to buy so mnay players in the next season.

I can't see it being too hard to get promoted if they bring in the right players, and it is only for 12 matches anyway. But it would be interesting to see it happen.

Always thought Dan Luger was a preety decent player myself. Probably one of the better English wingers of recent times in my very importaint opinion.

I think I heard he was running a restaurant with his dad, who is Croatian.

When he was injury free, Luger was a great runner, but I don't think he was fully fit in his last few years playing for England. But, he was one of Woodward's boys, and SCW always stuck by the players he brought through, which was often damaging to the player themselves. Luger's move to Perpignan was a mistake in terms of his career, in my opinion, as he was very much out of sight of the England selectors and his motivation subsequently waned.

He had a good strike rate in International rugby though - 21 in 33 tests, but Boy is right - I can remember his performance against Wales in the World-Cup, where he was really bad.

Latest posts