Under 20's Championship

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
As per usual, the Under 20's championship will run parallel to the main championship. Who do you think will be in contention or just merely making up the numbers? Post all news and discussion here!

sixnationsunder20.png

England forwards will smash it, as usual, but apart from that who knows
Ireland impressed me last year, so will be interesting to see if the new guys coming into the squad will carry on where they left off last years

This is the Ireland team that played Italy in the November, winning 29-10:

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Italy Under-20s, Friendly International Match, Donnybrook, Thursday, November 4, kick-off 2.30pm):

15. Michael Sherlock (Clontarf/Leinster)
14. Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)
13. Alex Kelly (UCD/Leinster)
12. Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
11. Sam Coghlan Murray (UCD/Leinster)
10. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
9. Peter du Toit (UCD/Leinster)
1. Andrew Warwick (Ballymena/Ulster)
2. David Doyle (UCD/Leinster)
3. Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster)
4. Ian Henderson (Queen's University/Ulster)
5. Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Michael Kearney (Clontarf/Leinster)
7. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
8. Eoin McKeon (Galwegians/Connacht)

Replacements:

Corey Hircock (Moulton College/Munster)
JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Lukas Kunz (Garryowen/Munster)
Cathal Marsh (Dublin University/Leinster)
Mark Dolan (Corinthians/Connacht)
Aaron Spring (Sligo/Connacht)
James Rael Garryowen/Munster)
Kyle McCall (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University/Ulster)
Shane Buckley (Garryowen/Munster)
David Heffernan (Lansdowne/Connacht)

It's a good team. The likes of Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy have already impressed at senior level, while Peter Du Toit and Jordi Murphy are good prospects. The backrow is pretty tasty as a unit imo.

Worrying lack of Munster players in the panel. IF they're looking to rebuild, they'd want more youth coming through.

14. Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)
13. Alex Kelly (UCD/Leinster)
12. Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster)
11. Sam Coghlan Murray (UCD/Leinster)
10. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster)
9. Peter du Toit (UCD/Leinster)
4. Ian Henderson (Queen's University/Ulster)
6. Michael Kearney (Clontarf/Leinster)
7. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) (capt)
8. Eoin McKeon (Galwegians/Connacht)

Replacements:

JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Cathal Marsh (Dublin University/Leinster)
Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University/Ulster)
Very good prospects from what I've seen. Tiernan O'Halloran, Brendan Macken, Andrew Conway and Andrew Boyle all played for the u20s last season and are still available this year.

Gilroy, Marshall, Jackson, Macken and Conway could all feature for their provinces when the 6 Nations is on. I think they'll develop more playing for their provinces than in an age grade tournament so Joe Schmidt and Brian McLoughlin should get first call on these players. Brinf them back for the u20 World Cup if needed.

I thought Conway was too old this year? Did they not adjust the age requirements of something at the end of last season?

It'd be a killer backline if he and Macken were thrown in.

Macken and Conway are still 19. I've been to a fair amount of Leinster A games this year and both appear to be in cracking form.

England have a killer squad on paper, but in reality it'll be butchered by the clubs getting first dibs. England will be strong but not overly so, should be nice and open. The Tadpoles suffer from a similar problem from what I've noticed.

There should be a lot of good young Ulster talent in the mini-micks. I pray we're allowed to keep Gilroy, but don't know where precedent lies here. Niall Annett and James McKinney from last year are both eligble - think McKinney will be behind the Ginger Messiah, Annett's been named captain. Henderson has talent but needs gym-time.

I have to say i'm looking forwards to the Ireland back-line, on paper it looks mildly scary. Thankfully their pack isn't on the same level!

Last season Allen Clarke seemed to have first call on the players ahead of the provincial coaches. I hope Mike Ruddock takes a more enlightened approach and puts the players development ahead of winning trophies. If that means letting them play for their province, that's what should be done.

There was an interview with Ruddock on the IRFUs website a few days ago. He said he wanted to get the ball into the backs hands as much as possible since that's where the talent in the team is. Contrast this to Clarke's philosophy last year which was to play turgid 10 man rugby, territory based despite having some quality players in the wider channels. A coach should always look to maximise the potential of his team. Unfortunately Clarke didn't do this. Only once did they change this tactic and that was in the demolition job on Scotland.

I'd rather see Ireland lose games yet players further their development by trying to play the game properly than win playing shite rugby which does nothing other than boost the coaching teams ego.

England U20 Elite Player Squad
Forwards
Ryan Bower (Leicester Tigers)
Koree Britton (Gloucester Rugby)
Rob Buchanan (Harlequins)*
Will Collier (Harlequins)
Matt Everard (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Gray (Newcastle Falcons)*
Jonny Harris (Leicester Tigers)
Sam Jones (London Wasps)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
Addison Lockley (Exeter Chiefs)
Kieran Low (London Irish)
Charlie Matthews (Harlequins)*
Ollie Stedman (Leeds Carnegie)
Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
Sam Twomey (Harlequins)
Mike Haywood (Northampton Saints)
Mako Vunipola (Bristol Rugby)*

Backs
Chris Cook (Bath Rugby)
Elliot Daly (London Wasps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Jonathan Joseph (London Irish)*
Ryan Mills (Gloucester Rugby)
Ben Ransom (Saracens)
Dan Robson (Gloucester Rugby)
Jake Sharp (Saracens)*
Andy Short (Worcester Warriors)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Christian Wade (London Wasps)*
Jack Wallace (London Wasps)*
Guy Armitage (London Irish)
Marland Yarde (London Irish)
* Capped by England at U20 level last season

The IRFU have stuck pics of 22 u20 players on their website:
http://www.irishrugby.ie/squads/ireland_u20.php

Zero Munster players so far :eek:. Love the mullet on Finlay Bealham

Thre are however 6... maybe 7... Ulstermen. I think William Henderson is Ian Henderson, but am not sure. Only real surprises (from an Ulster perspective) are McIlroy in (ahead of Conor Spence certainly) although I've seen McIlroy play and rate him and none of the Ulster back-rows... I'd imagine Dom Gallagher and Stephen Leckey are in the training squad at least. And no James McKinney is a mild surprise.

If you google Finlay Bealham, he's an Aussie. You poaching ********!

And aye, that is the Nordie Henderson. Good player, just needs some beef.

I am extremely disappointed that the Ginger Messiah has cut his afro short. One of five Methody boys in the 22.

WALES U20 FOR ENGLAND NAMED

Wales Under-20: Liam Williams (Llanelli); Harry Robinson (Blues), Ben John (Ospreys/ Aberavon), Jack Gadd (Bristol), Eli Walker (Ospreys / Swansea); Matthew Morgan (Ospreys / Swansea), Aled Davies (Scarlets / Llanelli); Rhodri Jones (Scarlets / Llanelli), Kirby Myhill (Scarlets / Llanelli), Will Taylor (Ospreys / Swansea), Macauley Cook (capt, Blues / Cardiff), Matthew Screech (Blues / Pontypridd), Edward Siggery (Pontypridd), Calum Thomas (Blues / Pontypridd), Ben Thomas (Ospreys / Bridgend).

Replacements: Rob Evans (Scarlets / Carmarthen Quins), Sam Parry (Llandovery), Cory Hill (Blues / Pontypridd), Luke Hamilton (Blues / Glamorgan Wanderers), Jonathan Evans (Dragons / Newport, Steve Shingler (Scarlets / Llanelli), Owen Williams (Blues/Cardiff). Travelling reserve: Adam Warren (Llandovery).

Any taffs here willing to tell me about these boys? I know Morgan's meant to be the new messiah and that Shingler's going to LI and thats about it.

The Under-20 team will be defending their 2010 Six Nations Championship ***le and five players from last year's squad have been named in the team to face Italy.

Winger Andrew Conway makes a return to the side from last season along with Jordi Murphy and Niall Annett who will captain the side. David Doyle and Brendan Macken have been named in the replacements.

Speaking ahead of the opening game, Coach Mike Ruddock said: "After winning the Championship last seasons the stakes are set high for us this year. But this is a new season, a new squad and a clean slate.

"Our focus for now is on kicking off the championship with a strong performance and while it is great to have a core of experienced players we will be looking for the entire squad to show what they can do.

"We have prepared well and have gelled as a team. The skill level, attitude and performances of the players and of the team as a whole have been very impressive. We hope to reproduce this for the tournament."

The Ireland Under-20 team has been supported by sponsors PricewaterhouseCoopers over the last five seasons, during which time the team secured a Grand Slam in 2007 and won the Championship last year.

Commenting on their support of the under-20 team, Ronan Murphy, Senior Partner, PwC said: "We are delighted to support Irish Rugby and the Under-20 team in particular. Success on the pitch is determined by having the right team with the right talent playing to win. Likewise, at PwC, by having the best people working together we are committed to helping our clients tackle today's tough business challenges. We wish the Under-20 team success in their forthcoming RBS 6 Nations Championship."

IRELAND UNDER-20:

15: Craig Gilroy (Dungannon - Ulster)
14: Andrew Conway (Blackrock - Leinster)
13: Alex Kelly (UCD -Leinster)
12: Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
11: Andrew Boyle (UCD - Leinster)
10: Patrick Jackson (Dungannon - Ulster)
9: Blane McIlroy (Ballymena - Ulster)

1: James Tracy (UCD -Leinster)
2: Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster) CAPTAIN
3: Martin Moore (Lansdowne - Leinster)
4: Michael Kearney (Clontarf - Leinster)
5: Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers - Connacht)
6: Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
7: Aaron Conneely (Corinthians - Connacht)
8: Eoin McKeon (Galwegians - Connacht)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: David Doyle (UCD - Leinster)
17: Conor Carey (Ballymena - Ulster)
18: Finlay Bealham (Exile)
19: William Iain Henderson (Queens - Ulster)
20: Peter Du Toit (UCD - Leinster)
21: Cathal Marsh (Dublin University - Leinster)
22: Brendan Macken (Blackrock - Leinster)

A good squad and its great that some of these players have played in the magners league this year but we need to see more that. Munster are in a bad position and really need to develop more players and get them into the magners league matches.

Sexy backline. Three Connacht players in the pack is a good sign for the westies. Du Toit and Macken not starting is a surprise but those who start in their stead are good players. Second row Michael Kearney could be a good one. There are infinitely more Exiles in the squad than Munster players.

Ulster - 7
Leinster - 11
Connacht - 3
Exiles - 1
Munster - a big fat bagel

Connacht seem to be turning into Munster, all forwards and no backs. Ulster seem to be turning into mini-Leinster - churning out quality backs all day long but a little perplexed when it comes to the forwards. Leinster continue their march into some type of great rugby industrial complex.

Munster are just there to be laughed at.

When they'd rather stick in an Australian prop then play a token Munster man, you know you've got issues.

I thought a couple of token Munster players might have made it. Gareth Quinn McDonagh featured last season but he's been usurped by two u19 flyhalves. JJ Hanrahan probably misses out due to the abundance of quality backs. He's still u19. Corey Hircock was a Munster poach who would have been in the shake up too.

Will any of the U-20 games be televised. I'm surprised Gilroy is 15 and Conway 14 but I think both a quality players with big futures. Hopefully Peter Du Toit gets game time as I've heard alot about him and he seems to be a rare quality scrum half.

Latest posts