• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Nations vs League of Nations

Actually, considering the cultural makeup of North London compared with the cultural make up of Toulon, Saracens is the more English side!

I mean, look at it this way, London is one of the most multi-cultural and diverse cities in the World. I think having a club that reflects that kind of diversity works out better and considering the current record this year (6 and 0) any suggestion that these guys are just mercenaries seeking out a retirement fund is way way way off the mark.

Edit: At the end of the day though, 7 is as low as it'll go because it simply isn't financially viable in the English game to field 15 foreigners. France is different, they have clubs owned by billionaires co-sponsored by major local industry and even in some cases by the local authorities. So if they want to fund a team of 15 internationals like Stade, Brive or Toulon then they'll do that..

Well your argument is based on where our players are born. In actual fact, we have 8 English qualified players in the starting lineup. One more of them is Welsh which makes him British.

If you factor in that we are a club with a big South African influence, then 3 more places being filled by Springboks isn't surprising either.

Then there's Chris Wyles, who is one of several US internationals (Ngwenya, Clever etc.) farmed out to foreign teams to improve US players0. Similarly, Aguero is playing in a foreign league because Argentine sides aren't professional.

Which leaves Justin Marshall.

When you consider we have 6 or arguably 12 top level teams to distribute English players, I don't really see a problem at all.

Add onto the fact that we have one of the best Academy set ups in England who are producing tomorrows stars like Noah Cato and Alex Goode as well as a few others.

The team spirit is strong, the fans fanatical and the next generation stronger than ever. Whats the problem?

If SAracens truly represented north London then where are all the Jews and Indians?

There's no problem, in fact there are somethings very right about SAracens. For one they imported South Africans so they can start winning. No coincidence there. But is this a sign of things to come? An extreme amount of foreigners in teams. I think if regulations are not brought in (that include Commonwealth nations) top class rugby will be come to centralised and do the opposite of becoming a global game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 15 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well your argument is based on where our players are born. In actual fact, we have 8 English qualified players in the starting lineup.[/b]

Brad Barritt is as English as Riki Flutey is.

Again, only in France. It won't happen in Britain because there is a salary cap and we simply can't afford to put 15 foreigners out there game after game. 7 Englishmen is the lowest you'll see in a GP team. Seriously.

Don't get me started on blood ties to nations. Please, for the love of god don't get me started on that. Because if you can somehow argue that America's Takudzwa Ngwenya should not play for America but should play for Zimbabwe instead then you'll basically make the world implode upon itself.

Britain is made up of people from across the world sharing the same culture. For christ sakes the United States of America's entire existence is based upon the fact that you can come from anywhere in the world and make it and still be called an American. Ngwenya did, he was given the chance to study in America and he bought into the system and today he is proud to be called American.

I don't like the word "qualified". If Barrit and Flutey can stand there and sing the praises of Britain, England and our Monarch with their hand on their hearts then they are British and long may that be so.

Argh! YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID! DID YOU?! DID YOU?!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 15 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Again, only in France. It won't happen in Britain because there is a salary cap and we simply can't afford to put 15 foreigners out there game after game. 7 Englishmen is the lowest you'll see in a GP team. Seriously.

Don't get me started on blood ties to nations. Please, for the love of god don't get me started on that. Because if you can somehow argue that America's Takudzwa Ngwenya should not play for America but should play for Zimbabwe instead then you'll basically make the world implode upon itself.

Britain is made up of people from across the world sharing the same culture. For christ sakes the United States of America's entire existence is based upon the fact that you can come from anywhere in the world and make it and still be called an American. Ngwenya did, he was given the chance to study in America and he bought into the system and today he is proud to be called American.

I don't like the word "qualified". If Barrit and Flutey can stand there and sing the praises of Britain, England and our Monarch with their hand on their hearts then they are British and long may that be so.

Argh! YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID! DID YOU?! DID YOU?![/b]
I concur, and shall add:
_45569101_delon_416.jpg

For someone born in trinidad, and raised in france, he seems pretty proud to be representing england.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 15 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If SAracens truly represented north London then where are all the Jews and Indians?

There's no problem, in fact there are somethings very right about SAracens. For one they imported South Africans so they can start winning. No coincidence there. But is this a sign of things to come? An extreme amount of foreigners in teams. I think if regulations are not brought in (that include Commonwealth nations) top class rugby will be come to centralised and do the opposite of becoming a global game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 15 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well your argument is based on where our players are born. In actual fact, we have 8 English qualified players in the starting lineup.[/b]

Brad Barritt is as English as Riki Flutey is.
[/b][/quote]

Ok shall I get started on all the <strike>black</strike> Zimbabweans that South Africa have <strike>to fill in their quota</strike>?

No I shan't. And it's up to Argentina and the Pacific Islands (and the iRB) to organise a proper professional domestic competition. Until they do that then it's completely understandable that their players will look abroad for employment, and that clubs will employ skilled players, wherever they're from.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 15 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5627371,00.html

Don't really care for the game itself but Saracens have 7 players in there match 23 that are born in England whilst Toulon have only 2 French born players in their starting XV. And with different selection Toulon could have put out a team with more Englishmen than an English side!
A sign of things to come?[/b]

Next season Top14 clubs will have to employ at least 50% of players that have come out of French Rugby schools/academies, the following season it will be 70%.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 16 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 15 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5627371,00.html

Don't really care for the game itself but Saracens have 7 players in there match 23 that are born in England whilst Toulon have only 2 French born players in their starting XV. And with different selection Toulon could have put out a team with more Englishmen than an English side!
A sign of things to come?[/b]

Next season Top14 clubs will have to employ at least 50% of players that have come out of French Rugby schools/academies, the following season it will be 70%.
[/b][/quote]

good

Latest posts