• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Rugby Championship: Round 4

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Let's get the thread up early this week.

273.png
4.png

ULSTER - LIONS
WWW - WLL
Kingspan Stadium, Belfast
Friday 15 Oct 20:35

486.png
12.png

DRAGONS - STORMERS
LLW - LLD
Rodney Parade, Newport
Friday 15 Oct 20:35

2036.png
487.png

ZEBRE - GLASGOW
LLL - LWW
Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma
Saturday 16 Oct 13:00

250.png
266.png

BENETTON - OSPREYS
WWL - WWL
Stadio di Monigo, Treviso
Saturday 16 Oct 16:05

260.png
261.png

LEINSTER - SCARLETS
WWW - LWL
RDS Arena, Dublin
Saturday 16 Oct 18:15

257.png
3.png

EDINBURGH - BULLS
WLD - LLW
DAM Health Stadium, Edinburgh
Saturday 16 Oct 18:1

264.png
488.png

MUNSTER - CONNACHT
WWW - LWL
Thomond Park, Limerick
Saturday 16 Oct 20:35

255.png
11.png

BLUES - SHARKS
WLL - LLW
Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Saturday 16 Oct 20:35​

Last edited:
I hear our stadiums are going to start opening up- not too capacity but when last have we had capacity crowds for our provinces! That coupled with the relative Covid cases climbing in Italy and settling in SA AND the fact we are no longer on the UK red list... might we see our teams play locally round 5? I hope so.

Back to this week though. I have Ulster and Stormers as winners on Friday. Ulster handsomely and Stormers probably only just I'd imagine. Think if we can keep up the defense we showed for 73 minutes last week and convert half of our own chances we should be able to compete with the Dragons although I have to admit that they are very much a blind spot for me.

Then for Saturday: Glasgow, Ospreys, Leinster, Edinburgh, Munster and Sharks to get Ws

Last edited:
I hear our stadiums are going to start opening up- not too capacity but when last have we had capacity crowds for our provinces! That coupled with the relative Covid cases climbing in Italy and settling in SA AND the fact we are no longer on the UK red list... might we see our teams play locally round 5? I hope so.

Back to this week though. I have Ulster and Stormers as winners on Friday. Ulster handsomely and Stormers probably only just I'd imagine. Think if we can keep up the defense we showed for 73 minutes last week and convert half of our own chances we should be able to compete with the Dragons although I have to admit that they are very much a blind spot for me.

Then for Saturday: Glasgow, Ospreys, Leinster, Edinburgh, Munster and Sharks to get Ws
Dragons kind of a blind spot for me too right now. They really gave Leinster all kinds of hell and beat Connacht which was an excellent result! Also not sure who will win Cardiff v Sharks, because Cardiff are usually pretty decent, especially at home, with a backline that can cut you apart, but they were poor vs Bulls even with an all international backline.

We should beat Connacht, but they always reserve their best performances for derbies and will probably come baying for blood after being embarrassed by the Dragons.

Could absolutely see Bulls getting a result against Edinburgh.

Ulster
Stormers
Glasgow
Benetton
Leinster
Edinburgh
Munster
Cardiff

There are few tight games. With the SA teams improving week on week it makes it much harder to predict. Gone with stormers to beat dragons as I think dragons may struggle to back up last weeks performance and stormers are due a win. Played some good stuff so far. Benetton back at home, think they'll get the win. Edinburgh and bulls is 50-50. Edinburgh struggled with the physicality that stormers brought. But have them to edge it as they are at home. Cardiff and sharks is another 50-50. Went with cardiff as there could be a reaction to last week's loss.

@Groundhog What is the deal with your prop Keynan Knox? What are his chances of playing versus Connacht?

@paddybrown why no Stockdale in the lineup the last two weeks?

@big ginger 8 What are the chances that Lowe, Ringrose, McGrath and Doris play this weekend vs Scarlets? It seems I can't predict Leinster players that will start.

@big ginger 8 What are the chances that Lowe, Ringrose, McGrath and Doris play this weekend vs Scarlets? It seems I can't predict Leinster players that will start.
Luke McGrath will probably bench, Gibson Park was on media duty this week and due a start. Hard to tell with the other three but could see all three starting. I'm expecting a full enough side minus the Lions and maybe with Sexton on the bench again.

I think its fantastic that there are so many matches where it is so difficult to pick a winner. Sign of a healthy comp and I am sure it will continue to grow.

@Groundhog What is the deal with your prop Keynan Knox? What are his chances of playing versus Connacht?

On Knox he had/has a low grade hip injury and missed Scarlets. Probably in with a shot of playing this weekend I would say, although probably from the bench if injury stops him training at all this week.

Your guess is as good as mine tbh. As said already JGP was doing media which is usually a sign. I'd say Doris is unlikely, as he is just back from injury and to be assessed later in the week. Conan was also pictured training today.

Hopefully Dragons can gain some momentum with another decent performance this week, been far too many single decent performances in the past followed by a poor one.
Pack looks a lot better this year, Back row was has always bene decent but tight 5 lacking. Rowlands has been a great signing and Carter is getting better and better in the 2nd row. Front row is also currently a lot stronger than it has been for a number of years.

Stormers team named. Still very much a Currie Cup side:

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Leolin Zas, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Edwill van der Merwe, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Junior Pokomela, 5 Salmaan Moerat (captain), 4 Ernst van Rhyn, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Brok Harris

Substitutes: 16 JJ Kotze, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Justin Basson, 20 Marcel Theunissen, 21 Paul de Wet, 22 Tim Swiel, 23 Juan de Jongh

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...la-to-make-stormers-debut-in-newport-20211014

Not the worst side WP has ever put into a field but at the same time just soooo many stop-gap type players (highlighted).

Stormers team named. Still very much a Currie Cup side:

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Leolin Zas, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Edwill van der Merwe, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Junior Pokomela, 5 Salmaan Moerat (captain), 4 Ernst van Rhyn, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Brok Harris

Substitutes: 16 JJ Kotze, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Justin Basson, 20 Marcel Theunissen, 21 Paul de Wet, 22 Tim Swiel, 23 Juan de Jongh

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...la-to-make-stormers-debut-in-newport-20211014

Not the worst side WP has ever put into a field but at the same time just soooo many stop-gap type players (highlighted).
Manie does make you guys look much more dangerous with ball in hand but his kicking is poor.

Manie does make you guys look much more dangerous with ball in hand but his kicking is poor.
Libbok himself is a danger ball in hand and his distribution is pretty good but his game management is poorer than our other options. That said with Willemse and Wolhuter still out him and Swiel are a bit of a much over muchness though I'd have prefered Manie off the bench vs tired legs.

My preference for Willemse is at 12 or as cover for 10, never 15, not unless Gelant, Petersen and Libbok and all other options are spent. So I suppose I should stop naming Willemse in discussions around the 10 jersey.

10 Wolhuter 12 Willemse 13 ?? 15 Gelant seem like a decent backline, you guys really lack decent centre options. Your thoughts on Rikus Pretorius ? I am very unsure about him

10 Wolhuter 12 Willemse 13 ?? 15 Gelant seem like a decent backline, you guys really lack decent centre options. Your thoughts on Rikus Pretorius ? I am very unsure about him
Pretorius possibly has a higher ceiling one would assume just from an age POV but for me Pretorius = Nel = Du Plessis so we have depth there at 12/13 but none of these would be in or around a discussion of world class centers. I'd be happy enough if that were our stocks. Our weakness in the backline (and now forwards) is depth in quality and wingers. With Edwill vd Merwe moving on I don't rate any of our wingers. 9 Jantjies, 10 Wolhuter, 12 Willemse, 13 Pretorius or whatever, 15 Gelant has me happy enough but depth and wingers aren't there.

Dragons team for the stormers;

Dragons: Jordan Williams; Jonah Holmes, Jack Dixon, Aneurin Owen, Jordan Olowofela; Sam Davies, Gonzalo Bertrano; Greg Bateman, Elliot Dee, Mesake Doge, Will Rowlands, Ben Carter, Ross Moriarty (capt), Taine Basham, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Taylor Davies, Aki Seiuli, Chris Coleman, Joe Davies, Joe Maksymiw, Ollie Griffiths, Rhodri Williams, Josh Lewis

Decent pack and half back pairing. Threat from the back 3 as well but Dragons are struggling for quality at centre, Owen is still young and improving but don't massively rate Dixon to be honest, Jamie Roberts is still out for a few weeks as well. Dragons could do with a decent centre signing next season.

Ulster v Lions teams named:

Ulster
1 Andrew Warwick; 2 Rob Herring; 3 Tom O'Toole; 4 Alan O'Connor; 5 Sam Carter (Capt.); 6 Matty Rea; 7 Nick Timoney; 8 David McCann
9 Nathan Doak; 10 Billy Burns; 11 Ethan McIlroy; 12 Stewart Moore; 13 James Hume; 14 Craig Gilroy; 15 Will Addison

16 Brad Roberts; 17 Eric O'Sullivan; 18 Ross Kane; 19 Kieran Treadwell; 20 Sean Reidy; 21 David Shanahan; 22 Mike Lowry; 23 Ben Moxham

No changes in the starting 15. Eris O'Sullivan replaces Callum Reid and Kieran Treadwell replaced Mick Kearney on the bench.

Lions

1 Sti Sithole; 2 Jaco Visagie; 3 Calu Sadie; 4 Ruben Shoeman; 5 Reinhard Nothnagel; 6 Subusiso Sangweni; 7 Vincent Tshituka; 8 Ruhan Straeuli
9 Andre Warner; 10 EW Viljoen; 11 Rabz Maxwane; 12 Burger Odendaal; 13 Manuel Rass; 14 Stean Pienaar; 15 Divan Rossouw

16 PJ Botha; 17 Ruan Dreyer; 18 Asenath Ntlabakanye; 19 Wilhelm van der Sluys; 20 Emmanuel Tshituka; 21 Morne van den Berg; 22 Fred Zelinga; 23 Wandisile Simelane

Calu Sadie comes in for Jan du Plessis at tighthead, Reinhard Nothnagel comes in for Peter Jansen van Vuren in the second row, and Subusiso Sangweni comes in for Jaco Kriel at blindside flanker.

Last edited:
Ulster v Lions teams named:

Ulster
1 Andrew Warwick; 2 Rob Herring; 3 Tom O'Toole; 4 Alan O'Connor; 5 Sam Carter (Capt.); 6 Matty Rea; 7 Nick Timoney; 8 David McCann
9 Nathan Doak; 10 Billy Burns; 11 Ethan McIlroy; 12 Stewart Moore; 13 James Hume; 14 Craig Gilroy; 15 Will Addison

16 Brad Roberts; 17 Eric O'Sullivan; 18 Ross Kane; 19 Kieran Treadwell; 20 Sean Reidy; 21 David Shanahan; 22 Mike Lowry; 23 Ben Moxham

No changes in the starting 15. Eris O'Sullivan replaces Callum Reid and Kieran Treadwell replaced Mick Kearney on the bench.

Lions

1 Sti Sithole; 2 Jaco Visagie; 3 Calu Sadie; 4 Ruben Shoeman; 5 Reinhard Nothnagel; 6 Subusiso Sangweni; 7 Vincent Tshituka; 8 Ruhan Straeuli
9 Andre Warner; 10 EW Viljoen; 11 Rabz Maxwane; 12 Burger Odendaal; 13 Manuel Rass; 14 Stean Pienaar; 15 Divan Rossouw

16 PJ Botha; 17 Ruan Dreyer; 18 Asenath Ntlabakanye; 19 Wilhelm van der Sluys; 20 Emmanuel Tshituka; 21 Morne van den Berg; 22 Fred Zelinga; 23 Wandisile Simelane

Calu Sadie comes in for Jan du Plessis at tighthead, Reinhard Nothnagel comes in for Peter Jansen van Vuren in the second row, and Subusiso Sangweni comes in for Jaco Kriel at blindside flanker.
*Carlu

Latest posts