United Rugby Championship: Round 6

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Friday, November 26
Connacht v Ospreys | 19:35 UK / 20:35 ITA/ 21:35 SA | RTE, BBC Wales, Premier Sports

Saturday, November 27
DHL Stormers v Zebre | 13:00 UK / 14:00 ITA / 15:00 SA | Super Sport, Premier Sports
Benetton v Glasgow Warriors | 13:00 UK / 14:00 ITA / 15:00 SA | Italian TV, Premier Sports
Cell C Sharks v Scarlets | 15:30 UK / 16:30 ITA / 17:30 SA | Super Sport, S4C, Premier Sports
Dragons v Edinburgh | 17:15 UK / 18:15 ITA / 19:15 SA | Premier Sports
Vodacom Bulls v Munster | 17:45 UK / 18:45 ITA / 19:45 SA | Super Sport, TG4, Premier Sports
Leinster v Ulster | 20:00 UK / 21:00 ITA / 22:00 SA | RTE, Premier Sports

Sunday, November 28
Emirates Lions v Cardiff | 14:00 UK / 15:00 ITA / 16:00 SA | Super Sport, S4C, Premier Sports

I must say that the URC is not doing a great job of promoting the tournament. At least not as far as I can see. And its Thursday and still not a single team has a line up released. Bit of a limp .... restart of the tournament as far as I am concerned.

I expect to see something close to our best line up. Just not sure if Kitshoff and Jantjies are going to be rested. Its not as if they saw a ton of action mainly playing only halves of each game. I've already read that the likes of Moerat, Orie and Willemse are set to play. Not sure on the fitness of Wolhuter or Malherbe but I am hoping for something along the lines of:

1 Kitshoff*
2 Ntubeni
3 Malherbe*
4 Moerat
5 Orie
6 Fourie
7 Theunissen
8 Roos
9 Jantjies*
10 Wolhuter*
11 Nel
12 Willemse
13 Pretorius
14 Specman
15 Gelant

I must say that the URC is not doing a great job of promoting the tournament. At least not as far as I can see. And its Thursday and still not a single team has a line up released. Bit of a limp .... restart of the tournament as far as I am concerned.

I expect to see something close to our best line up. Just not sure if Kitshoff and Jantjies are going to be rested. Its not as if they saw a ton of action mainly playing only halves of each game. I've already read that the likes of Moerat, Orie and Willemse are set to play. Not sure on the fitness of Wolhuter or Malherbe but I am hoping for something along the lines of:

1 Kitshoff*
2 Ntubeni
3 Malherbe*
4 Moerat
5 Orie
6 Fourie
7 Theunissen
8 Roos
9 Jantjies*
10 Wolhuter*
11 Nel
12 Willemse
13 Pretorius
14 Specman
15 Gelant
To be fair every team has always released team 24 hours before unless a Sunday game they will release 48hours.
This is something that has happened for years.

They are doing very good promotion here and even pre match build ups in stadiums have been superb compared to before.

Lions team announced. Not the best side but might take it at home vs Cardiff. Especially seeing how much home advantage seems to matter in this comp?

Also see Van der Merwe has completed his transfer to the Lions from us. Still dumbfounded by the move. We really do need class wingers. Edwill is that. To some extent I can understand the WPRU backroom and financial situation is a push factor but of all teams he ends up at the Lions. Oh well, best of luck.

Lions

15 EW Viljoen, 14 Rabz Maxwane, 13 Wandisile Simelane, 12 Burger Odendaal (c), 11 Edwill van der Merwe, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Francke Horn, 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Reinhard Nothnagel, 4 Ruben Schoeman, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Sti Sithole

Substitutes: 16 PJ Botha, 17 Morgan Naude, 18 Ruan Dreyer, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Ruhan Straeuli, 21 Morne van den Berg, 22 Matt More, 23 Tiaan Swanepoel.

To be fair every team has always released team 24 hours before unless a Sunday game they will release 48hours.
This is something that has happened for years.

They are doing very good promotion here and even pre match build ups in stadiums have been superb compared to before.
I suppose I will just have to learn to be patient. I am used to Wednesday/Thursday line up releases. You are also 2 hours "behind" us which seems to have a small compounding impact.

Perhaps I am just not plugged in enough but from what I see in SA there is very little to no promotion. Though I am tempted to go to CT stadium on Saturday regardless. Maybe take my boy to his first live match.

I suppose I will just have to learn to be patient. I am used to Wednesday/Thursday line up releases. You are also 2 hours "behind" us which seems to have a small compounding impact.

Perhaps I am just not plugged in enough but from what I see in SA there is very little to no promotion. Though I am tempted to go to CT stadium on Saturday regardless. Maybe take my boy to his first live match.
It is a strange one to promote as in what is the best approach. Easy do it in Ireland etc as it's small. The approach is SA is a different task altogether.

But yeah traditionally it is like this

For Friday night games - Teams Released in afternoon of Thursday.
Remainder of games on Saturday and Sunday teams usually named on Friday at noon.

And if you do bring your boy to his 1st game hope ye enjoy it.
The good thing is usually these games are free flowing and you get a few good scores.

Connacht: Oran McNulty; Alex Wootton, Shayne Bolton, Sammy Arnold, Mack Hansen; Jack Carty (capt), Kieran Marmion; Matthew Burke, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Niall Murray, Ultan Dillane, Jarrad Butler, Conor Oliver, Paul Boyle.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Jordan Duggan, Jack Aungier, Oisín Dowling, Eoghan Masterson, Caolin Blade, Conor Fitzgerald, Peter Robb.

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Max Nagy, Owen Watkin, Joe Hawkins, Luke Morgan; Stephen Myler, Rhys Webb (capt); Nicky Smith, Elvis Taione, Tom Botha, Bradley Davies, Rhys Davies, Sam Cross, Jac Morgan, Ethan Roots.

Replacements: Sam Parry, Gareth Thomas, Rhys Henry, Will Griffiths, Morgan Morris, Reuben Morgan-Williams, Josh Thomas, Cai Evans.

It is a strange one to promote as in what is the best approach. Easy do it in Ireland etc as it's small. The approach is SA is a different task altogether.

But yeah traditionally it is like this

For Friday night games - Teams Released in afternoon of Thursday.
Remainder of games on Saturday and Sunday teams usually named on Friday at noon.

And if you do bring your boy to his 1st game hope ye enjoy it.
The good thing is usually these games are free flowing and you get a few good scores.
Cheers, will do! I would be shocked if we managed to lose to Zebre at home so I expect a bit of an inflated score and something easy on the eye for the uninitiated but stranger things have happened.

Edit- I see we are in for a downpour Saturday in CT so possibly a bit of an equalizer..

Last edited:
Cheers, will do! I would be shocked if we managed to lose to Zebre at home so I expect a bit of an inflated score and something easy on the eye for the uninitiated but stranger things have happened.

Edit- I see we are in for a downpour Saturday in CT so possibly a bit of an equalizer..
The beauty of this league is anything could happen. But I suppose post internationals week is probably minimizing it a bit.

Connacht: Oran McNulty; Alex Wootton, Shayne Bolton, Sammy Arnold, Mack Hansen; Jack Carty (capt), Kieran Marmion; Matthew Burke, Dave Heffernan, Finlay Bealham, Niall Murray, Ultan Dillane, Jarrad Butler, Conor Oliver, Paul Boyle.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Jordan Duggan, Jack Aungier, Oisín Dowling, Eoghan Masterson, Caolin Blade, Conor Fitzgerald, Peter Robb.

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Max Nagy, Owen Watkin, Joe Hawkins, Luke Morgan; Stephen Myler, Rhys Webb (capt); Nicky Smith, Elvis Taione, Tom Botha, Bradley Davies, Rhys Davies, Sam Cross, Jac Morgan, Ethan Roots.

Replacements: Sam Parry, Gareth Thomas, Rhys Henry, Will Griffiths, Morgan Morris, Reuben Morgan-Williams, Josh Thomas, Cai Evans.

Ospreys need to stop selecting Dan Evans. Guys been a fantastic servant to Ospreys (and Dragons/Scarlets before that), but he's lost all his pace, can't step, and is generally terrible nowadays, and has been for the last couple of seasons. Really holding them back atm, with Nagy and Protheroe better options.

Scarlets are already in South Africa,
Their game against Bristol in the Heineken cup is gonna be age grade and amateurs, with all their first team either trapped in SA or in quarantine, depending on severity of travel ban

Cardiff too

From the comments it sounds like it is too late. If so I imagine the teams who are out there will finish their matches but no new teams will fly over and the tournament matches would need to be rescheduled.

I thought there was some sort of elite athlete exemption.

Can't wait to see Leinster vs Ulster. And the games in South Africa are going to be very interesting.

I just saw Sharks vs Scarlets will not take place. Scarlets trying to get out of SA

I think Munster have to get out of SA too to be honest. I'd say they're exploring options right now, but we have our game against Wasps 8 days after our Bulls fixture I believe. Best case scenario for the tournament is potentially we fulfill this fixture v Lions and then either send the entire squad home or maybe we leave a skeleton crew of kids in SA to fulfill the Bulls fixture? I really don't know. I have a feeling the whole squad may leave SA.

Edit: our government will almost certainly follow the UK and EU in adding South Africa among others to a no fly list. Players will surely be pulled out of the country ASAP.

Last edited:
Our game cancelled here now. We are looking at flying home via Dubai which helps with quarantine rules.

Only thing is we are going in to Europe without a game in 6 weeks or so.

Although talks underway that we may play Welsh team next week

Latest posts