• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Rugby Championship: Round 7

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Probably should have a thread up even if I don't know if anyone is feeling this tournament. Dropped like a hot potato.

Tonight Connacht to face a bad backlash. But huge pressure you feel on Harry Byrne.

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Junior Pokomela, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Salmaan Moerat (captain), 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Brok Harris

Substitutes: 16 Andre-Hugo Venter, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Ernst van Rhyn, 20 Nama Xaba, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Rikus Pretorius, 23 Tim Swiel

Lions

15 EW Viljoen, 14 Edwill van der Merwe, 13 Wandisile Simelane, 12 Burger Odendaal (captain), 11 Rabz Maxwane, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Francke Horn, 7 Vince Tshituka, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Reinhard Nothnagel, 4 Ruben Schoeman, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Sti Sithole

Substitutes: 16 PJ Botha, 17 Morgan Naude, 18 Jannie du Plessis, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Ruhan Straeuli, 21 Morne van den Berg, 22 Matt More, 23 Tiaan Swanepoel

Not a bad looking Lions line up TBF but we *should* take it at home. Bigger SA derby is the Bulls Sharks tie.

Bit of an anti-climax though what with not getting a shot at foreign teams on home soil as if SA is to blame for discovering and sequencing a new strain that is omni present everywhere in any case, and with our protocols and numbers chances are it mutated elsewhere. Just our luck for having world class sequencing and being honest about it.

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Stefan Ungerer, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Junior Pokomela, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Salmaan Moerat (captain), 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Brok Harris

Substitutes: 16 Andre-Hugo Venter, 17 Kwenzo Blose, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Ernst van Rhyn, 20 Nama Xaba, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Rikus Pretorius, 23 Tim Swiel

Lions

15 EW Viljoen, 14 Edwill van der Merwe, 13 Wandisile Simelane, 12 Burger Odendaal (captain), 11 Rabz Maxwane, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Andre Warner, 8 Francke Horn, 7 Vince Tshituka, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Reinhard Nothnagel, 4 Ruben Schoeman, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Sti Sithole

Substitutes: 16 PJ Botha, 17 Morgan Naude, 18 Jannie du Plessis, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Ruhan Straeuli, 21 Morne van den Berg, 22 Matt More, 23 Tiaan Swanepoel

Not a bad looking Lions line up TBF but we *should* take it at home. Bigger SA derby is the Bulls Sharks tie.

Bit of an anti-climax though what with not getting a shot at foreign teams on home soil as if SA is to blame for discovering and sequencing a new strain that is omni present everywhere in any case, and with our protocols and numbers chances are it mutated elsewhere. Just our luck for having world class sequencing and being honest about it.
How is Matt More going. He was a superb prospect when a in our academy it just never happened here and well he unfortunately never settled.
Wasn't aware he was with the Lions as I thought he was trying to get in with Western Province

How is Matt More going. He was a superb prospect when a in our academy it just never happened here and well he unfortunately never settled.
Wasn't aware he was with the Lions as I thought he was trying to get in with Western Province
I have to be honest here and say I've never seen the name before. But will keep an eye out and get back to you. Not sure if this would be his maiden game for the Lions or not.

Wiki says this (not sure how accurate it ouwld be):
Years Team Apps (Points)
2020–2021 Stormers 0 (0)
2020–2021 Western Province 0 (0)
2021– Pumas 9 (5)
2021– Lions 1 (0)

So it looks like he hadn't gotten time here and went for the Pumas for exposure and is now with the Lions only recently.

Ulster team v Ospreys has been announced.

1. Eric O'Sullivan
2. Bradley Roberts
3. Tom O'Toole
4. Alan O'Connor (capt)
5. Kieran Treadwell
6. Sean Reid
7. Nick Timoney
8. David McCann
9. John Cooney
10. Billy Burns
11. Ethan McIlroy
12. Stuart McCloskey
13. Angus Curtis
14. Robert Baloucoune
15. Mike Lowry

16. Tom Stewart
17. Jack McGrath
18. Marty Moore
19. Mick Kearney
20. Marcus Rea
21. Nathan Doak
22. Stewart Moore
23. Craig Gilroy

Brad Roberts starts at hooker. He's never done 80 minutes before, and was interviewed after doing 50 minutes against Glasgow and said he was knackered, so it looks like Tom Stewart will definitely make his debut from the bench this time. James Hume is rested and Angus Curtis comes in at outside centre. Craig Gilroy will make his 200th appearance for Ulster if he comes off the bench. And Jack McGrath is still alive! Seems like an age since he last played a game of rugby.

I have to be honest here and say I've never seen the name before. But will keep an eye out and get back to you. Not sure if this would be his maiden game for the Lions or not.

Wiki says this (not sure how accurate it ouwld be):
Years Team Apps (Points)
2020–2021 Stormers 0 (0)
2020–2021 Western Province 0 (0)
2021– Pumas 9 (5)
2021– Lions 1 (0)

So it looks like he hadn't gotten time here and went for the Pumas for exposure and is now with the Lions only recently.
Yeah he came here with Knox but didn't stay. Got homesick and I think was frustrated he didn't go straight in to first team squad. A talented 13.

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to a young Ulster player who is quietly having a bit of a breakthrough season. Nathan Doak has taken lots of plaudits for looking so composed and mature straight out of the academy - but David McCann is also in his first year out of the academy and has started every game this season at number 8 except for the first one against Glasgow - and like Doak, has looked absolutely like he belongs at this level. He may find himself down the pecking order a little when Duane Vermeulen recovers, but there's no-one better for him to learn from, and Vermeulen is a veteran and an international, so I'm sure he'll need rested from time to time, so McCann will still get game time. And in the meantime, we have a player we can rely on in the position.

Clearly a try for connacht. Poor decision
Absolutely, can't believe Baird didn't ground it but he clearly didn't. Great from VDF, good game that is turning out more competitive than I wanted!

Not sure I've ever seen anything like it. On field decision given that baird grounded the ball. Then on review the ref and TMO agree he didn't ground it. But can't see that the connacht player did so they stick with the onfield decision even though they agreed that was wrong.

Latest posts