• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United Rugby Championsip Round 3

Dylan Richardson to play for Scotland. Wonder if he is a loss to the Boks?

For me the only player poached by the NH that I felt was a loss was to the Boks was C J Stander. All the others have in my opinion not been Bok material. Would be interesting to know what others think.

Also feel that currently the only players up north that would be losses are Tyrone Green and JJ Van der Mescht.
For me he is a future bok but still need around 2 years of regular gametime.

Dylan Richardson to play for Scotland. Wonder if he is a loss to the Boks?

For me the only player poached by the NH that I felt was a loss was to the Boks was C J Stander. All the others have in my opinion not been Bok material. Would be interesting to know what others think.

Also feel that currently the only players up north that would be losses are Tyrone Green and JJ Van der Mescht.
It will be a loss. But if he is going to play for Scotland its only a matter of time till he leaves for a Scottish side. In that case i say drop him to the youth ranks for his disloyalty. We can rather focus on James Venters development if this news is true.

Its silly that he can qualify on ancestry without staying in the country for the residency period. Most white prople in South Africa has Ancestry to either the UK , Netherlands, Germany or France. Heck even I have Scottish Ancestry through my dad's side of the family. Did really not know this is so easy, we can lose many more players if this is the case. We all thought we have kinda done well now that the residency rule was increased and then this **** happens

Nah, I'm not so keen on Dylan Richardson myself. Not that I think he isn't a good player. I just think we have talent to spare in his department. Here and there we will miss one but I don't know if it is worth it trying to cap every conceivable prospect. Like I think for a good while we would've missed someone like WP Nel at 3 in the Jannie du Plessis times. CJ Stander was an excellent player but, hey, can't win 'em all.

It will be a loss. But if he is going to play for Scotland its only a matter of time till he leaves for a Scottish side. In that case i say drop him to the youth ranks for his disloyalty. We can rather focus on James Venters development if this news is true.

Its silly that he can qualify on ancestry without staying in the country for the residency period. Most white prople in South Africa has Ancestry to either the UK , Netherlands, Germany or France. Heck even I have Scottish Ancestry through my dad's side of the family. Did really not know this is so easy, we can lose many more players if this is the case. We all thought we have kinda done well now that the residency rule was increased and then this **** happens
I dont think that is silly at all. When you say ancestry, do you mean your grandparents? As it must be your parents or grandparentsfor tge ancestry rule to apply.. im not sure on the history of emigration in SA but Ireland has a long history of emigration with communities all over the world. Most irish people will have cousins living in the UK/US/Australia. While obviously a lot of these integrate into their new countries, they remain proudly irish and their children often see themselves as irish. The rule is there to allow people like these represent the country of the parents or grandparents. I think this is only fair. Not many people will fall in to category and lt less soulless than the residency rules.

I dont think that is silly at all. When you say ancestry, do you mean your grandparents? As it must be your parents or grandparentsfor tge ancestry rule to apply.. im not sure on the history of emigration in SA but Ireland has a long history of emigration with communities all over the world. Most irish people will have cousins living in the UK/US/Australia. While obviously a lot of these integrate into their new countries, they remain proudly irish and their children often see themselves as irish. The rule is there to allow people like these represent the country of the parents or grandparents. I think this is only fair. Not many people will fall in to category and lt less soulless than the residency rules.
Thats a fair point

Nah, I'm not so keen on Dylan Richardson myself. Not that I think he isn't a good player. I just think we have talent to spare in his department. Here and there we will miss one but I don't know if it is worth it trying to cap every conceivable prospect. Like I think for a good while we would've missed someone like WP Nel at 3 in the Jannie du Plessis times. CJ Stander was an excellent player but, hey, can't win 'em all.
No we cant keep them all we are bound to lose some.
However, the risk that such a move represents allowing potential to leave our ranks and imrpove our competing international rival. The levels are small already.

I think in 3 to 6 years from now it could be a different prospect with players like Richardson and other promising youngsters. The landscape could have changed and these young players could be considered first choice Springboks by then.

i think Richardson could be a future Springbok. But if we want to commit to Venter rather now then i think Venter can be better long term.

No we cant keep them all we are bound to lose some.
However, the risk that such a move represents allowing potential to leave our ranks and imrpove our competing international rival. The levels are small already.

I think in 3 to 6 years from now it could be a different prospect with players like Richardson and other promising youngsters. The landscape could have changed and these young players could be considered first choice Springboks by then.

i think Richardson could be a future Springbok. But if we want to commit to Venter rather now then i think Venter can be better long term.
Venter is however 25 already, I don't he will make it and if he does will only have a few caps nothing long term

Probably a Provincial bias thing but I haven't ever seen either of the Venters or Richardson as playing for the test side. That said I didn't see Kwagga Smith as playing for us either so that shows how much I know.

Vermeulen won't be around for much longer. Probably if he makes the 2023 RWC that's it. Wiese is already in the mix with Roos and Louw the best up and commers IMO. In the flanks there are Kolisi, PSdT, Smith, the Du Preez twins and so many more to name... maybe I just havn't watched enough Sharks games.

I see Richardson's dad is a Scot so I have no qualms. Grandparents and even great grandparents I am fine with as well. From there it gets a bit hazy IMO. I think there are just so many pap-and-wors South Africans in and around that Scottish test side ATM we make assumptions.

I would say though what with all the guys leaving our shores perhaps it might be prudent not to develop guys with foreign grandparents if there are so many otehr guys not getting a shot in SA u20 and senior CC/URC teams.

Probably a Provincial bias thing but I haven't ever seen either of the Venters or Richardson as playing for the test side. That said I didn't see Kwagga Smith as playing for us either so that shows how much I know.

Vermeulen won't be around for much longer. Probably if he makes the 2023 RWC that's it. Wiese is already in the mix with Roos and Louw the best up and commers IMO. In the flanks there are Kolisi, PSdT, Smith, the Du Preez twins and so many more to name... maybe I just havn't watched enough Sharks games.

I see Richardson's dad is a Scot so I have no qualms. Grandparents and even great grandparents I am fine with as well. From there it gets a bit hazy IMO. I think there are just so many pap-and-wors South Africans in and around that Scottish test side ATM we make assumptions.

I would say though what with all the guys leaving our shores perhaps it might be prudent not to develop guys with foreign grandparents if there are so many otehr guys not getting a shot in SA u20 and senior CC/URC teams.
For the near future neither Richardson or Venter is near test quality I feel Richardson can be but need another 2 or 3 years, Roos and Louw is lightyears ahead currently

To be fair to Scotland, as his dad is from Edinburgh I don't consider Richardson to be a poach.

I don't like the following

1. Project players, residency requirement is too short even at 5 years, should be 7 years + requirement to be a passport holder of the country you are representing.
2. Grandparent qualified players. I think that it should be limited to parents.

I agree that the grandparent rule is a bit too far but you can't blame Scotland for playing by the rules.

Latest posts