• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United States of America: State of Rugby

Canada has dominated the US in rugby hands down. Both countries have a LONG way to go but they will get there maybe not in this life but the next. Having lived in Canada before for 6 years but an Aussie through and through i can see that Canada has the opening for Rugby to take off because the CFL is not nearly as popular and over promoted as the NFL and Rugby could fill that gap.

Having said that Rugby will never rise above NFL in the US, or the NHL in the Canada.

Canada has dominated the US in rugby hands down. Both countries have a LONG way to go but they will get there maybe not in this life but the next. Having lived in Canada before for 6 years but an Aussie through and through i can see that Canada has the opening for Rugby to take off because the CFL is not nearly as popular and over promoted as the NFL and Rugby could fill that gap.

Having said that Rugby will never rise above NFL in the US, or the NHL in the Canada.

Your right, it will never rise above, but there is a posibility of there being no NFL Football this year; which means a lot more of the RWC games will be seen on american TV. (Thank you NBC!) That may mean more people get to see rugby. What you have to realize is that rugby does have a very big following here in the US, the problem is the media won't put it on TV. Rugby is really restricted to DirecTV or Digital Cable owners, since the only way you can watch it is through Fox Soccer Plus (which is what I do) or a extra sports station from the provider. The provider stations suck too, because all the games are live, so there's a huge time difference. Of course you can record the games (which I do) but then if you get on TRF, ESPN Scrum, or something, you'll see the score of the game before you can watch it.

Latest posts