• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

United States - RWC 2011

Melhor Time

Bench Player
Guys, I write for rugbymania which is Brazil´s premier rugby source. I´m doing previews of all 20 teams at the World Cup.

Check out my USA preview here: <!-- m -->
http://www.rugbymania.com.br/2009/ver_noticia08.asp?codigo=4209

Since it is in another language and too big to translate it all here my preview, in brief, is for the USA to defeat Russia, push both Ireland and Italy and lose but compete vs Australia. No question about the prgoress and about the future - a team on the rise. But 2011 is too soon for a Quarter Finals appearance. Nonetheless all rugby fans should be following the USA with interest in NZ.

Massive improvements since France 2007 inc many more pro players. A grat back row and back three, Issues at flyhalf inside centre and at the scrum. A great second row though. The young side from 2007 is almost all still together and now playing pro. For the first time in history the majority are pro.

My squad:
15 Chris Wyles (Saracens, England)
14 Taku Ngwenya (Biarritz, France)
13 Seta Tuilevuka (Montpellier, France)
12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago)
11 Kevin Swiryn (Agen, France)
10 Valenese Malifa (Glendale)
9 Mike Petri (Newport-Gwent Dragons, Wales)
8 Nic Johnson (L´Aquila, Italy)
7 Todd Clever (Suntory Sungoliath, Japan)
6 Louis Stanfil (Mogliano, Italy)
5 John van der Giessen (Bath, England)
4 Hayden Smith (Saracens, England)
3 Shawn Pittman (London Welsh, England)
2 Philip Thiel (Life University)
1 Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93, France)

Reserves: 16 Chris Biller (EUA), 17 Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie, England), 18 Samu Manoa (USA), 19 JJ Gagiano (Kings, South Africa), 20 Tim Usasz (Nottingham, England), 21 Tai Enosa (USA), 22 Paul Emerick (USA)

Jogadores Adicionais: 23 Brian McClenahan (USA), 24 Will Johnson (London Irish, England), 25 Scott Lavalla (Dublin University, Ireland), 26 Patrick Danahy (USA), 27 Iñaki Basauri (L`Aquila, Italy), 28 Volney Rouse (USA), 29 Zachary Test (USA) , 30 Miles Craigwell (USA).

Players to watch out for:

The stars: Todd Clever, Louis Stanfill, Taku Ngwenya and Chris Wyles

Others who could impress: Kevin Swiryn, Seta Tuilevuka, Hayden Smith and Shawn Pittman

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have mention that there is a training camp right now (May 04-08) at the Olympic Training Center (OTC) in Chula Vista,in California featuring the USA´s best domestic based players.

Forwards:
Chris Baumann (Glendale), Chris Biller (San Francisco Golden Gate), Will Brazier (Old Blue RFC), Ryan Chapman (Utah Warriors), Todd Clever (Suntory Sungoliath, Japan), Pat Danahy (Life), James Denise (New York Athletic Club), Tala Esera (Tama Laie Lions Rugby Club), Eric Fry (Las Vegas Blackjacks), Tom Katzfey (New York Athletic Club), Alec Parker (Gentleman of Aspen), Brendan Purcell (Old Mission Beach Athletic Club), Ben Nelson (Kansas City Blues), Phil Thiel (Life), John van der Giessen (Utah Warriors), Jon Vitale (Chicago Lions), Jesse Witkowicki (Old Mission Beach Athletic Club)

Backs:
Matthew Byrd (Utah Warriors), Paul Emerick (Life), Tai Enosa (Belmont Shore), Colin Hawley (Olympic Club), Jordan Kohn (Unattached), Kelly Kolberg (Dallas Reds), Nese Malifa (Glendale), Folau Niua (San Francisco Golden Gate), Tui Osborne (Life), Mike Palefau (Utah Warriors), Mike Petri (New York Athletic Club), Mile Pulu (San Francisco Golden Gate), Volney Rouse (San Francisco Golden Gate), Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins), Roland Suniula (Boston Rugby), Shalom Suniula (USA Men's Sevens/Brisbane), Zack Test (Unattached), Pate Tuilevuka (Old Puget Sound)

Unavailable due to injury: Troy Hall (New York Athletic Club), Taylor Mokate (Univ. of Oklahoma)

Selected but unavailable: Brian Daniels (Glendale), Matt Kelly (Chicago Lions), Samu Manoa (San Francisco Golden Gate)

Considered but unavailable: Cameron Dolan (Life University), Don Pati (Univ. of Utah), Danny Barrett (University of California - Berkeley), Seamus Kelly (University of California - Berkeley), Blaine Scully (University of California - Berkeley), Duncan Kelm (San Diego State Univ.), Ryan Roundy (Brigham Young University), Shaun Davies (Brigham Young University)

Very dissapointing to see Thretton Palamo throw the game in to play american football. He could have torn Russia to pieces single handedly from what ive seen.

JJ Gagiano who played for UCT in Cape Town and now the Kings is a good prospect but still very green. A few recognizable names this year for the USA which is new. And good.

If Ireland perform like they did in 07 (not well) then they could lose to USA. Although when i see something like '12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago)' I just think let's send BOD down this guys channel all day

If Ireland perform like they did in 07 (not well) then they could lose to USA. Although when i see something like '12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago)' I just think let's send BOD down this guys channel all day

Poor channel to choose there actually.. Hes based in Chicago, but hes actually a kiwi.
He went to Kelston Boys where he was coached and monitored by Graham Henry. In his last year he was the top try scorer for Kelston 1st XV in a team that contained Mils Muliaina, Mose Tuiali'i, Sam Tuitupou and the Lauaki brothers. (His form in the 12 jersey kept Sam Tuitupou from being trialed at 12 until he had left school.)

After Kelston he stopped playing for a bit, but then came back and signed on for Taranaki in the ITM cup. He started most of the games, but was cut from his contract after they found out he had been playing league in the off season. His agent then shopped his name around a bit and he got picked up by the Manly Sea Eagles in the NRL. He wasn't a huge fan of league however and left his contract early to go to the US, where his brother had already been picked up for the U.S sevens (By virtue of them being born in American Samoa).

Long story short- looks can be decieving. I think USA could run Ireland pretty close.

Very dissapointing to see Thretton Palamo throw the game in to play american football. He could have torn Russia to pieces single handedly from what ive seen.

Very true, but is projected to make over 1,000 rushing yards and possibly become a contender for the Heisman Trophy. Disappointing mind he has given up rugby.

He's a big boy, would have helped USA's chances. Did he ever play much for Biarritz?

I wonder why Craigwell wasn't included in the training camp...

Last edited:
He's a big boy, would have helped USA's chances. Did he ever play for Biarritz?

I wonder why Craigwell wasn't included in the training camp...

Craigwell is still pretty raw in rugby terms, although be nice to see him having a go at the XV a side game.

Very true, but is projected to make over 1,000 rushing yards and possibly become a contender for the Heisman Trophy. Disappointing mind he has given up rugby.

Im not sold on him as a running back really.. He just seems too tall to be a traditional RB, yet doesn't really have the pace or savage power needed to be a Brandon Jacobs type runner. That said he might be able to get away with it at college level.

Im not sold on him as a running back really.. He just seems too tall to be a traditional RB, yet doesn't really have the pace or savage power needed to be a Brandon Jacobs type runner. That said he might be able to get away with it at college level.

From the impression I got from one of his interviews, it seems like he wanted an enducation above playing football, but a football scholarship doesn't hurt. Hopefully he will return to rugby once he has finished college.

From the impression I got from one of his interviews, it seems like he wanted an enducation above playing football, but a football scholarship doesn't hurt. Hopefully he will return to rugby once he has finished college.

Thats the ideal, but even a practice squad or 4th string NFL salary would dwarf his rugby earnings. Even if he plans on returning now, his tune may change if he starts getting interest from NFL scouts.

Thats the ideal, but even a practice squad or 4th string NFL salary would dwarf his rugby earnings. Even if he plans on returning now, his tune may change if he starts getting interest from NFL scouts.

Well, if he gets resigned by Biarritz he'd probably get about the same, providing he doesn't become a regular in the NFL.

I 'm going to watch the United States RWC warm up match vs Canada in Toronto in August and it looks like they have 5-6 truly potent weapons that I can't wait to see in action. I still think Canada has the edge when the full 22 is considered but it could go either way.

I think the Eagles got a pretty good pool draw Russia should be a winnable game, Ireland and Italy can be pushed to some trouble with a special performance.

I was impressed by Zach Test during the Sevens Series. Wonder if he can break through in XV's.

Also, the USA needs to get some sort of regular competition, like a (Pacific) Six Nations including Japan, Canada, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji. Taking the tournament on the road in the US (playing in five different soccah specific stadiums) might help to create a fanbase.

Poor channel to choose there actually.. Hes based in Chicago, but hes actually a kiwi.
He went to Kelston Boys where he was coached and monitored by Graham Henry. In his last year he was the top try scorer for Kelston 1st XV in a team that contained Mils Muliaina, Mose Tuiali'i, Sam Tuitupou and the Lauaki brothers. (His form in the 12 jersey kept Sam Tuitupou from being trialed at 12 until he had left school.)

After Kelston he stopped playing for a bit, but then came back and signed on for Taranaki in the ITM cup. He started most of the games, but was cut from his contract after they found out he had been playing league in the off season. His agent then shopped his name around a bit and he got picked up by the Manly Sea Eagles in the NRL. He wasn't a huge fan of league however and left his contract early to go to the US, where his brother had already been picked up for the U.S sevens (By virtue of them being born in American Samoa).

Yeah... But still... He's no BOD

Latest posts